Motley Crue replaces Mick Mars with John 5; John 5 replaced as Rob Zombie's guitarist

Apparantly Corabi, Sebastian Bach and Stephen Pearcy are also on the short list of possible replacements.

John 5 was good on Mechanical Animals.

Mick Mars might be the ugliest motherfucker in metal.

So watcha think? John 5 sounds great. Vince, not so much, although he's not completely abysmal as in the past tours apparently.

Last edited:
So watcha think? John 5 sounds great. Vince, not so much, although he's not completely abysmal as in the past tours apparently.

Not the biggest Telecaster fan but that one John's playing is nice... John sounds great too

I always wondered about Mick's real age. I saw them from the front row on the Girls Girls Girls tour. Mick was supposed to be in his early to mid 30's but I swear he looked 50 years old.

That is a pretty dick move they played in Mick Mars departure. If anyone that isn't their end of the band, its Vince Neil. It tells you a big difference how tight Def Leppard is when they kept their drummer on board despite losing his arm and how Motley Crue booted Vince out the first time because of his alcohol issue and now booting Mick out who had no scandal at all

The dude's even a badass with a Hello Kitty kids' guitar.

When a guy like that opens with banjo and old-school country picking styles, you can tell that his true love isn't glam hard rock, but the instrument itself.

That man is in love with the mechanics of playing his string instrument. He lives for it.

This thread is pretty weak for VG house unless TS and co. want to talk 1998's Twisted Metal III soundtrack.

Never want to see Mick leave the Crüe but always figured that if his health forced him to quit, it would be Ashba stepping in.

Rob, John 5 and Sixx are also in L.A. Rats together. Figure that's probably over then as well.

End of an era. Mick is such an underrated player. I hope he's able to finish that solo album he's been working on for what seems like forever.

Big shoes to fill for John.

Vince being Vince. I always felt Mötley should have brought back Vince and kept Corabi around as a rhythm guitarist/second singer.

He has his good days as well.

Is Mick Mars retiring for health reasons or just because he is so old?

Probably a bit of both. He's 71 and his back's been fucked his entire adult life.

Holy shit! I just found out that Nikki Sixx wrote most of the songs in their first 3-4 albums. That's like 80% of their hits.

How does that work? He comes up with the riffs on bass and add lyrics then Mick Mars turns it to a guitar riff and add solo's/intro's/outro's?

Holy shit! I just found out that Nikki Sixx wrote most of the songs in their first 3-4 albums. That's like 80% of their hits.

How does that work? He comes up with the riffs on bass and add lyrics then Mick Mars turns it to a guitar riff and add solo's/intro's/outro's?

Nikki has been the chief songwriter throughout the Crüe's existence, it's his band...in the end everybody else is replaceable. One would assume most songs are written on guitar.

Nikki has been the chief songwriter throughout the Crüe's existence, it's his band...in the end everybody else is replaceable. One would assume most songs are written on guitar.

Now I am even more puzzled. Apparently Nikki isn't even that good of a bass player (multiple accusations of him using playback during live performances in recent years), and yet he had been the chief songwriter of MC all along.

I heard in another interview of James Hetfield saying that Lars, who doesn't really play guitar, kind of hums a tune to make a riff and that's why he has almost as much songwriting credit as James does in the entire Metallica backlog.

Now I am even more puzzled. Apparently Nikki isn't even that good of a bass player (multiple accusations of him using playback during live performances in recent years), and yet he had been the chief songwriter of MC all along.

I heard in another interview of James Hetfield saying that Lars, who doesn't really play guitar, kind of hums a tune to make a riff and that's why he has almost as much songwriting credit as James does in the entire Metallica backlog.

Nikki has never been a great player. He's an in the pocket bassist who focuses more on stage presence and look. Which is fine, their music didn't demand more. Word has it, the tours with Def Leppard have made him doubt his abilities and caused him to rely on backing tapes to a crazy degree. The guys in DL actively contributed to this.

But yeah, being a songwriter and being a virtuoso are two very different things.

Lars also handles a lot of the arranging of songs too, if you watch any of the Studio stuff Lar's is there quite a bit arranging songs and structures as they go on

John 5 downplays all the rifts between him and Zombie, and Mick and Crue. Also @34:00 he talks about MC's new record despite "retiring".

Back