Mother charged after putting recording device in daughter's backpack to catch 'bullying'

freaky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mother-charged-putting-recording-device-113042097.html

She claims her emails and calls to Ocean View Elementary school, Norfolk, about the alleged bullying in September went unanswered and so she decided to intervene.

However the recorder was discovered and Ms Sims was later charged with the use of a device to intercept oral communication, which carries a maximum five-year prison sentence, and a misdemeanor contributing to the delinquency of a minor."

WTF!!! I can't record my own minor child now? Especially when the school ain't doing shit? I would have my kid wear a bodycam to school shit. What you guys think? Is this fair? I used to have my phone out to record teacher's lecture but apparently I was breaking the law...

Lol she won't get a week of jail.

It's a mother trying to lookout for her daughter. Just bs drama. On to more important news...

Did you hear about that python swallowing a grown man!?

IDK..but she's black so I think she will get maximum sentence and lose custody of the kid.

Who the fck is this teacher? And who da fck is the cops that actually charged this?

IDK..but she's black so I think she will get maximum sentence and lose custody of the kid.

Was going to post that I woudl contribute to her defense fund on go fund me but now that sounds racist.

Schools are public property and there is no expectation of privacy on public property. I don't see how this is a crime.

Schools are public property and there is no expectation of privacy on public property. I don't see how this is a crime.

Yeah, I know the law may vary from state to state. But in California you must have a reasonable expectation of privacy in order for any recording to be deemed illegal. I would be surprised if they could somehow prove that anyone in the school had that expectation. The only way I could see that working is if they said that the expectation of privacy is one of privacy from anyone not in the classroom at the time. But that’s so thin, I just don’t know how it would possibly work.

Did you hear about that python swallowing a grown man!?

No, but I heard about a grown man swallowing a python!!

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

giphy.gif

So it's not actionable to charge an asshole kid for bullying your kid, but it is to charge you for attempting to catch them in the act? OK....

That school is like a mile from my house.

What should I do, Sherbros?

The teachers probably did nothing because no bullying probably occurred. Parents look for any excuse to blame their kids shitty performance or attitude on someone else. A kid gets sent home from school for doing something wrong and parents, rather than checking all the facts, storm the school and harass the teacher, protest, call him a rapist, etc. What happened to fearing the consequences of our parents for fucking up? We are all God damn victims now.

The only logical explanation for laws like these are that they are written by the most corrupt motherfuckers(Congress) to protect themselves. ... same with extortion laws.

I feel safer now that she’s off the streets.

What I want to know is;
How was the recording device found?
Why is there a law against recording conversations in schools?

Back