Most Underrated GOAT Contenders?

"Most Underrated GOAT Contenders" I mean guys who don't really get brought up, but still have a solid case.

Hmmm, maybe Frank Mir. Before 2012 never had multiple loses in a row. Did hav that drug think in 2016 though. But this is pretty impressive.

Everybody has their pick for GOAT, and it's usually the same few guys. Most often GSP, Fedor, and recently DC has been coming up. But who do you think is the most overlooked GOAT contenders? Is it Aldo, who wrecked a division for 7+ years before a magical leprechaun stole his pot of gold? Is it DJ, who despite facing relatively weak competition, has defeated his competition with relative ease and dominance like never before? Maybe you are one of the few people on the Matt Hughes warwagon, who believe that his wrestling made him the most dominant fighter at 170 pounds before a certain Canadian wasn't impressed with his performance. BJ Penn, whom when dedicated, was possibly the most talented fighter of all time? Dominick Cruz, who fought for 10 years without really being touched until a "savage" tracked him down? Big Nog, who without Fedor would've ruled over the division with an iron fist possibly until he retired?
Is it Colin McGuire(lol fuck no)?
The big 3 of GOAT contenders (GSP, DC, Fedor) aren't eligible.
Fighters who have been caught for PEDs are not allowed. No speculating who was juicing either.
Discuss.
(And mods, if you could add a poll with Aldo, DJ, Hughes, Penn, Liddell, Big Nog, Cruz, Saku, Couture, Shogun, Miocic, Hendo, and Werdum, that would be absolutely great.)

I still think that McGregor`s potential in that debate is underrated, because if he wins against Khabib in a spectacular fashion, he will thrown in there by the publicity and the Game McGregor will get stronger.

Thats the reason why the fight against Khabib is huge for McGregor.... besides of Money.
McGregor needs Khabib in this term more than in the other direction.

But is a high risk high reward fight for Conor. If he losses, he will most likely not be meantioned ever again in this way.

Depends on who you talk to but Hughes and Nogueira are often cast aside despite being the second most accomplished fighter in their respective divisions.
Both of their resumes are absolutely outstanding.

He has a solid case. But loses it when it comes to level of competition. In any other division, Wilson Reis, John Moraga, Ali Bagautinov, and Ray Borg would be outside of the Top 10.
Ali Bagautinov beat John Lineker (#6 @ bantamweight) decisively. There's not many in the top 15 who I don't think he'd have a good chance against. Although some said USADA played a noticeable factor in his performance.

Last edited:
I see your Black Thought and I raise it to a RA Rugged Man

Uncommon Valor is one of the greatest verses of all time as well as his verses in Supah but R.A is pretty inconsistent.

Cruz

Nog

Rickson

Hendo

black-thought-philly

Everyone likes to bring up Rakim, Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, Pac etc but Black Thought has been one of the best for about 2 decades now.
More into Big Daddy Kane,MC Ren, Method,Red,ODB,...

More into Big Daddy Kane,MC Ren, Method,Red,ODB,...
I like all 4 that you mentioned but 3 of them aren't even the best in their groups. Kane is always in the GOAT discussion but I guess he's a little underrated.

I like all 4 that you mentioned but 3 of them aren't even the best in their groups. Kane is always in the GOAT discussion but I guess he's a little underrated.
matter of perspective.. for me , they are...

matter of perspective.. for me , they are...
Fair enough. The consensus on NWA would be that Cube is the best (that's pretty much a given) Wu Tang is a little harder but most would say GZA or Ghost, my personal favorites are RZA and Deck but the 2 you mentioned are what got me into Wu Tang so I'll always be a fan of theirs.

Antonio Rodrigo Nougeria
Frank Shamrock
Kazushi Sakuraba
Demetrious Johnson
Igor Vovchanchyon
Daniel Cormier

Depends on who you talk to but Hughes and Nogueira are often cast aside despite being the second most accomplished fighter in their respective divisions.
Both of their resumes are absolutely outstanding.
Came here to say this. Nog is like DC, a true great who just couldn't beat one guy in his era except in DC's case the guy got busted for roids and he got his chance to win two belts. Aldo gets overlooked a lot recently as well despite the fact he was one of the first guys to get mentioned not too long ago.

Jake Shields and Faber are also low key greats IMO.
Hughes
I think he's best ww ever
Why? I love Hughes but his legacy at WW got eclipsed by GSP definitively.
Ali Bagautinov beat John Lineker (#6 @ bantamweight) decisively. There's not many in the top 15 who I don't think he'd have a good chance against. Although some said USADA played a noticeable factor in his performance.
It wasn't that decisive last I remember, I think it was a 29-28 and Linker had him running scared and desperately going for the takedown. Ali definitely won but its not like you couldn't see Linekar beating him in a rematch since Linekar did win the 2nd round.

I'd put Cruz ahead of Silva. He has a win over another P4P GOAT contender (yes, at 135 for MM) and quality wins over Faber X2, TJ (I thought he lost, but whatever), Benavidez X2, McCall, Bowles, Jorgensen, Valencia, Mizugaki.

His only 2 losses were to Faber and Neck Tats. More importantly, he was more skilled than Anderson (albeit with a more boring style). His feinting and footwork was something we had never really seen before. Anderson, while great, had 2 huge holes - takedown defense and inability to hold his guard. Seriously, watch some tape of Silva, his guard is shockingly easy to pass.

His best wins were Hendo and Franklin, who were not on DJs level. Most importantly, he lost to Takase, a terrible fighter, and Chonan, a gatekeeper at best. The thing that you knock about Dom is staying healthy, but that really doesn't matter that much for GOAT status. He has as many wins as Jones and more than DC.

I'm not saying he is the GOAT, just that he should be in the discussion with Silva, who is overrated. Flame on!

It wasn't that decisive last I remember, I think it was a 29-28 and Linker had him running scared and desperately going for the takedown. Ali definitely won but its not like you couldn't see Linekar beating him in a rematch since Linekar did win the 2nd round.
Just meant it was a clear unanimous decision. Yeah Ali went for takedowns, but a lot of that was set up with striking too. The point is that he's around that level, and that he could probably hang around the bantamweights top 10 or 15 along with Lineker and Dodson.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back