Most underated Fighters ever.

Lots of guys. Depends on how you define underrated.

I always felt Tokuyama was underrated. Benvenuti seems to fluctuate between under and over rated. Chang and Yuh. Jeff Chandler was a great shout from TS. Azumah Nelson (get at me @Seano). Lennox Lewis seems to be pretty underrated out of this forum. Horacio Acavallo and Santos Laciar had some big wins. Sumbu Kalambay.
Nelson is overrated because he got beat by a great fighter. His list of accomplishments is pretty sparse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonito_Donaire

"Nonito Gonzales Donaire Jr. (Tagalog: [noniˈto donajˈɾe]; no-nee-tohdo-nigh-reh; born November 16, 1982)[1][2] is a Filipino-Americanprofessional boxer. He is a former four-weight world champion, having held the IBFflyweight title from 2007 to 2009; the unified WBC and WBO bantamweight titles in 2011; the IBF super bantamweight title in 2012; the WBO super bantamweight title twice, from 2012 to 2013 and 2015 to 2016; and the WBA (Undisputed)featherweight title in 2014."

He was also an exciting fighter. All his matches, even his losses, are entertaining. Most people remember his Rigo fight which he lost, but he was a great matchup for Rigo.

*** I dont think he's the most underrated of all time - just an underrated fighter.
So when rigondeaux made him his bitch what fights do you think he can stack that against

All of his fights, besides that one, were better than Rigo. Rigor's for the most part a boring fighter. A talented fighter - but only shines against certain people. Nonito was a good matchup for him no doubt.

Ike Quartey
Kelly Pavlik
Sergio Martinez

Agree with Pavlik. The Hopkins fight and his subsequent loss of control really overshadow everything that came before.

All of his fights, besides that one, were better than Rigo. Rigor's for the most part a boring fighter. A talented fighter - but only shines against certain people. Nonito was a good matchup for him no doubt.
Except wrong on all parts very good reply:

Except wrong on all parts very good reply:
19fwzw476fytpjpg.jpg

Prince Naseem is imo underrated by hardcore old school boxing heads but at the same time overrated by casuals

Sure, YouTube.
Gauging power with your eyes huh?

What else can you do? Taste food with your ears?

Wow.....you're acting dumb or is it a clinical condition ?

if you can't see the two different effects two different guys have punching other ppl, maybe check out NASCAR instead. The cars go round n round n round n round n on and on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonito_Donaire

"Nonito Gonzales Donaire Jr. (Tagalog: [noniˈto donajˈɾe]; no-nee-tohdo-nigh-reh; born November 16, 1982)[1][2] is a Filipino-Americanprofessional boxer. He is a former four-weight world champion, having held the IBFflyweight title from 2007 to 2009; the unified WBC and WBO bantamweight titles in 2011; the IBF super bantamweight title in 2012; the WBO super bantamweight title twice, from 2012 to 2013 and 2015 to 2016; and the WBA (Undisputed)featherweight title in 2014."

He was also an exciting fighter. All his matches, even his losses, are entertaining. Most people remember his Rigo fight which he lost, but he was a great matchup for Rigo.

*** I dont think he's the most underrated of all time - just an underrated fighter.

I think he was nothing more then a big puncher but everyone is entitled to their opinion

I'm sure that the correct answer is an Asian fighter who fought below featherweight.

But one guy that comes to my mind is Chris Byrd. He was a top 5 HW for the better part of a decade and beat probably HOF HWs Vitali Klitshko and Evander Holyfield as well as David Tua and others. And he did it all as a natural LHW. Unfortunately, I think he's remembered more for his losses to Wladamir Klitshko and Ike Ibeabuchi than anything else and he never captured the public's attention, despite being arguably the best American HW boxer of the 2000s.

If he had started as LHW and moved up I think that he would have gotten a lot more respect for his accomplishments and he would have probably been forgiven for his lack of punching power and defensive style.

Too slap?

ARE you judging a flyweights lack of KO power?
Are you saying he can bang? I'll list you a ton of small fighters who can knock you or me the fuck out. Don't start with this bs.

Are you saying he can bang? I'll list you a ton of small fighters who can knock you or me the fuck out. Don't start with this bs.
I never said there aren't small fighters that can't bang nor did I say he can bang

If you where judging his lack of KO power, you'd might as well judge heavyweights who can't bounce on their feet for 12 rounds.

Carl Thompson and Pete Mcdonagh spring immediately to mind.

Dwight Muhammad Qawi - Despite being tiny for Cruiserweight (5'7) he had the heart of lion. He dragged a prime Holyfield all the way to hell in their first fight.
*billed height

Judges do it during every boxing match.

Debatable. Its true insofar as how hurtful punches are can easily be mistaken for power by the judges. But the degree of difference in power isn't a criteria that's judged void of the other variables at play. Therefore when someone says boxer Y can punch harder than boxer X (and their reasoning is that they can tell by seeing the effects of the punches), I call bullshit. The effects of a punch have many variables, power being just one of them. Accuracy, speed, and the timing (i.e. opponent doesn't see it coming and can't prepare for it) all play into how damaging punches are. You can't separate one variable from the others.

The only people that can somewhat judge relative power is common opponents. And even that is debatable.

Last edited:
Nelson is overrated because he got beat by a great fighter. His list of accomplishments is pretty sparse.
not at all (and he got beat by two great fighters in his prime, not one).

he beat another great fighter in Gomez, and beat solid to good fighters as a FW titlist. Then he went on to be one of the most dominant SFW titlists ever, including a big victory over Fenech and avenging his loss to Leija for the lineal title.

definitely an ATG.

Gerald McClellan

without doubt. The guy was an absolutely devastating puncher. His destruction of Jylian Jackson (twice) was devestating and in all honesty was unlucky against Benn as the fight could've been called in the first round. Damn shame what happened, could've been one of the greats
I would also say Nigel Benn is under rated. Not the best boxer but very few had his heart and desire, or were as dangerous when hurt. Anyone who knew shit about the sport fully expected him to be outgunned by McLellan. he was a massive underdog even though he was champ and fighting in his manor. one of the best performances by a British boxer in the modern era, yet rarely mentioned. probably because of the eventual outcome

I think he was nothing more then a big puncher but everyone is entitled to their opinion
I actually agree with him. I think Nonito went from overrated to underrated recently. The performance against Rigo was embarassing, and will probably cast a really bad light upon his career from now on, but Nonito was legitimately a top 5 P4P fighter at his peak and was lineal in one (122), arguably two (118) divisions with some really good names on his list (Vic, Nishi, Narvaez, Montiel) and other solid opponents (Mthlane, Tyson Marquez, Sydorenko, Mathebula, Vetyeka) on his resume. I won't say he necessarily always fought the best possible option and he missed some guys (including guys whom I think he would have spanked, like Mares) but he was definitely an elite fighter at his peak with scary speed and power.

Back