Most suitable striking art for short and stocky guy

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Sansara, Sep 21, 2016.

1. RichardN7

RichardN7 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I won’t speak about styles, as most can be tailored to suit different builds of fighters.
    I will tell you which things are most vital to a short, strong and explosive fighter:
    -Overhand right
    -Low kick
    -Decide between being a combo fighter trying to wear down and dismantle a guy, or a power puncher looking for a flash-KO
    -Punching and kicking power
    -Pressure and ring cutting
    -Cardio

Shotokan (point fighting) and kyokushin (kick-heavy, no hands) will make your mind develop bad reflexes for an actual fight.
    I’d say focus on boxing and K-1 kickboxing. Spar a lot with guys you trust won’t hurt you, but can keep a moderately high pace with.
    Look at guys like Robin van Roosmalen and Mike Zambidis for ideas on fighting style and reflexes.
    Fighting taller guys is my kryptonite. I’m great at keeping distance and fighting long, outpointing guys and countering and moving away. This is because I’m 6’1 and not many guys are taller than me to practice with.
    In your case, you’ll get used to it in time.
    Just work on the checklist above is my advice.

Good luck.

Mr Mojo Lane and WildBoyDan like this.
  2. Sano

Sano Black Belt

[​IMG]

3. Borass

Borass Yellow Belt

Unless having better cardio and speed than your taller opponent, i would rely more on punching than kicking. You need in and out moves and overall mobility because of your shorter limbs : you need your 2 legs for movement. Make the tall one react to counter his reaction. Kicking is also more exhausting than punching, and you need your cardio for movement. According to me, boxing and dutch style kickboxing is the best style for shorter fighters.

Wrestling skills are also really important when you are smaller in a stand up confrontation, optimizing your lower center of gravity in close positions.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  4. Adnan Adil

Adnan Adil White Belt

Just to add to my first comment- as a friend of mine told- it really doesn't matter would boxing in the gym give advantage to a tall person, because on the street he might face a MT practitioner who is going to melt down his height and reach advantage by using kicks... But from other hand- you fight once a year probably on the street and spar once a week in the gym, so if your style is not suitable for you, you are going to be beaten very often. :)

Sansara, man, in my opinion you have trained one of the hardest styles for a shorter person. In shotokan the rules (as in all the semi- contact combat sports) favor a lot the taller competitors. In most cases when I fight with shorter guy, I am the first who strikes and not always wins the exchange after this, but if this is a semi- contact, I would win the point and the fight would be restarted. So no matter what you would you choose- boxing or MT, you would feel more comfortable with it.

5. Adnan Adil

Adnan Adil White Belt

Guys, on UFC 222's fight- Arlovski vs Struve you probably have heard from Daniel Cormier when asked from Joe Rogan what are the difficulties when fighting taller opponent that the biggest problems are the knees and kicks. He said that if it is just boxing it is not such a big problem, but the kicks and the knees are making the task to get in close much harder. Of course let't not forget that Cormier is relying primary on boxing while on feet and his body type is not so suitable for kicking.

6. Hotora86

Hotora86 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I came here to say kyokushin but looks like you already tried it.

Not sure what is wrong with that. :D

Also, you can be short and stocky with shit reach and still fight in the UFC. Just ask this guy:

[​IMG]

7. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

The GOAT

Hotora86 likes this.
  8. Mr Mojo Lane

Mr Mojo Lane Brown Belt

? If you are talking about MMA, the short guy is generally carrying more muscle. ? Outfighting for a shorter guy??

Muay Thai's elbows and knees make a taller fighter a better in-fighter quickly. The shorter fighter can jam punches and a lot of kicks. Elbows take away reach which can be hard on a short guy but be beneficial to a taller fighter.

9. Mr Mojo Lane

Mr Mojo Lane Brown Belt

Cormier's dealing w/ kicks has more to do w/ technique. During Jones vs Cormier II, Cormier was at the range that a boxer would want to be in for a huge chunk of the fight. JJ was landing body shots on DC. If you think about it, JJ has to drop his hand a lot to land a body shot. One of the first times in combat sports that I have seen the tall guy land serious body shots. Usually, a short guy is trying to "chop the guy down" and force the taller guy to defend a huge area. Combos and body shots help the shorter guy out.

10. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

To emphasise, this point as well, every person/art has their pros and cons. Being short and stocky puts you at a disadvantage range wise, but when you do get inside, your advantages increases exponentially (ie you'll find it easier to throw while the longer, rangier person will find it harder to throw back). Unless the size difference is egregious, in which case I'd say lose weight and move to a lower weight class.

You have to work on techniques to get you at your best advantage. Unfortunately, being a shorter guy with t-rex arms myself that will include taking a shot or two (law of numbers say you you can't avoid them all). If you can't accept that, find another sport

11. listrahtes

listrahtes Brown Belt

I honestly dont get the question. The best MA for someone is the one he has the most fun doing.
    Only then he will develop the determination to really succeed and he will make the adjustments together with his coach that his body and fight style work. Doesnt matter what it is in the end.

Only way to find out is going to the gyms and try out.

12. French Canadian

French Canadian Purple Belt

Weight classes didnt cross my mind as I only fight in the gym.

Jimmy Jazz likes this.
  13. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

<{JustBleed}>

Jimmy Jazz and French Canadian like this.
  14. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

There is no art that is more suitable. There is only techniques that are more suitable.

listrahtes likes this.
  15. Adnan Adil

Adnan Adil White Belt

And still- if in any art or sport there are more techniques which are more suitable for tall persons, this art or sport should be in generally more suitable and vice versa.

16. Polish Punisher

Polish Punisher Black Belt

I'd say boxing, especially if you have heavy hands.

Kicking just puts you in danger of being countered with a punch if your limbs are too short.

Short in height doesn't mean short limbs, many Thai boxers have long arms and legs for their height especially at the top of the sport.

A fighter has to make up for being both short and stocky by being freakishly fast, strong, and explosive.

17. Cross_Trainer

Cross_Trainer Yellow Belt

With the number of times this is asked, there's probably a market for "kickboxing for short fighters" DVDs, just like there are DVDs centered around BJJ for older or smaller grapplers.

ctrlaltdelete likes this.
  18. Grassshoppa

Grassshoppa Purple Belt

You don't stand a chance.

[​IMG]

19. eternaldarkness

eternaldarkness Brown Belt

headbuttfu as long as you have a tito melon head. watch someone like fenech. he had the best head and elbows in boxing. holyfield used the same technique. get underneath them and then stand straight up.

20. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Purple Belt

If your looking to just do striking or stand up, then muay thai is good and will translate well with your shotokan and kyokushin background as well as your boxing background.

One of my old instructors did sanda kickboxing, I've never trained it extensively he was also an mma fighter and a pro kickboxer who also had 1 muay thai fight in china. So you'll have to see for yourself.

If you want a bit of a challenge do aikido (not really my style but you can choose wether you like it or not) never seen it in action but you could.

If you want to do kind of a hybrid style thats kind of like mma, then if your close to a sambo gym train sambo, and you can learn striking in sambo too, they have an mma version of it called combat sambo.