Most suitable striking art for short and stocky guy

Well i am at a styles crossroads here, need some advice in what style i should be focusing on

I trained a lot of time in Shotokan, but i really got tired of all the kata and such non sense and i dont see me getting back to that. Unfortunately they focus too much on traditional training methods that not only are boring to practice but also not very useful. A pity. Then i had a small experience with kyokushin.I loved the leg kicks but i hated the fact that they dont punch the head, that makes sparring just a contest of pain endurance. Also, going to kyokushin training makes you feel that you are in an army bootcamp.

Nowadays i got back to boxing, after starting it long time ago and stopping after one year because i didnt had the time. I really like boxing, but it seems to me that it is really an uphill battle to spar taller opponents.

So, is boxing the most adequate striking art for a short stock guy? Maybe i just need a little more practice, i still have some habits from shotokan that dont translate well to the big-gloves small space environment boxing provides.
I won’t speak about styles, as most can be tailored to suit different builds of fighters.
I will tell you which things are most vital to a short, strong and explosive fighter:
-Overhand right
-Low kick
-Decide between being a combo fighter trying to wear down and dismantle a guy, or a power puncher looking for a flash-KO
-Punching and kicking power
-Pressure and ring cutting
-Cardio

Shotokan (point fighting) and kyokushin (kick-heavy, no hands) will make your mind develop bad reflexes for an actual fight.
I’d say focus on boxing and K-1 kickboxing. Spar a lot with guys you trust won’t hurt you, but can keep a moderately high pace with.
Look at guys like Robin van Roosmalen and Mike Zambidis for ideas on fighting style and reflexes.
Fighting taller guys is my kryptonite. I’m great at keeping distance and fighting long, outpointing guys and countering and moving away. This is because I’m 6’1 and not many guys are taller than me to practice with.
In your case, you’ll get used to it in time.
Just work on the checklist above is my advice.

Good luck.

Very interesting thread! I can't choose which views are more correct. Honestly I think that all of you tell something which is true, but that is not the whole truth. :)
First- there were times in which I've believed that the kickboxing/ muay thai are much more suitable for taller persons. I was sure that almost everything which one short person can do to a taller guy, would be even easier for the tall guy to do it to his shorter opponent. And let's look, it might be true- in many occasions- the shorter guys can't kick or knee the taller guys in the head. The elbows are probably also a little bit easier for the taller dudes (I am not sure here, I don't have much experience with elbows). And about the punching- again the taller guys have the edge, because they have longer reach usually and it it easier to punch down, not up. And realistically let's face it the wins of the shorter guys usually come with the use of combos from close distance or with bombs. Thinking like this the boxing aspect is the only area in which the short guys are able to make something good (in most cases). So at first look it seems that the guys who say that MT is better for taller guys and worse for shorter are right, but....
After years I realized, partially from my old man, who also has some martial arts experience and is a huge fan of the combat sports at all that the boxing is not so bad for the taller persons. Yeah in KB/ MT you are allowed to kick and so what? When you stay on outside and try to kick you loose some of your footwork in the moment of kicking and your opponent can step outside or counter if he is quicker, which is quite possible. When you kick, he can block and enter in close range, where he can kick also or just throw some bombs with his arms. If you decide to use jabs and crosses, good- you'll have good mobility, but he would still be able to kick you and to chop you down, or make you to start checking or blocking the kicks and be more static which is going to give him the opportunity to get inside and start trading with you. The big weapon of the taller fighters- the knees, yeah they are great, but they are not so long ranged weapons. If you want to use them, you have to close the distance and he can swarm you with punches. Of course, you can use the as a counter of his inside boxing fighting, but this is another story. :)
So now I've changed my mind again and I don't think that the boxing or the KB/ MT are superior for tall or short guys. Yeah, the guys who say that it depends on the training and the height has nothing to do with your skills are right, but only for the skills, not for the fighting at all. Your performance is based not only on your skills, but also on your size- height, frame and weight. Generally- taller you are, better you fight in any sport. But of course there are some limits- if you are too tall you won't be able to use the full arsenal of your combat sport. The guys who say that the mindset is very important are very right. If you like to kick, of course it is better to go for KB or MT, even if you have short legs and reverse- if you don't like the kicking, even if you are long legged, you probably should stick to the boxing.
The thing which, guys you, all miss is the weight and body frame and type. It is not just about the height, but it is also important to keep in mind that if you are with short legs, long arms, strong skull, big fists, skinny legs you are probably better for boxing and reverse. In my opinion the MT has more devastating weapons and it is suitable for people who don't have so much sheer power in the upper bodies. If you are fat and cannot kick, why you are going to go to fight in MT and KB? So these are some of my thoughts on the question.
a9c.png

Unless having better cardio and speed than your taller opponent, i would rely more on punching than kicking. You need in and out moves and overall mobility because of your shorter limbs : you need your 2 legs for movement. Make the tall one react to counter his reaction. Kicking is also more exhausting than punching, and you need your cardio for movement. According to me, boxing and dutch style kickboxing is the best style for shorter fighters.

Wrestling skills are also really important when you are smaller in a stand up confrontation, optimizing your lower center of gravity in close positions.

Last edited:
Just to add to my first comment- as a friend of mine told- it really doesn't matter would boxing in the gym give advantage to a tall person, because on the street he might face a MT practitioner who is going to melt down his height and reach advantage by using kicks... But from other hand- you fight once a year probably on the street and spar once a week in the gym, so if your style is not suitable for you, you are going to be beaten very often. :)

Well i am at a styles crossroads here, need some advice in what style i should be focusing on

I trained a lot of time in Shotokan, but i really got tired of all the kata and such non sense and i dont see me getting back to that. Unfortunately they focus too much on traditional training methods that not only are boring to practice but also not very useful. A pity. Then i had a small experience with kyokushin.I loved the leg kicks but i hated the fact that they dont punch the head, that makes sparring just a contest of pain endurance. Also, going to kyokushin training makes you feel that you are in an army bootcamp.

Nowadays i got back to boxing, after starting it long time ago and stopping after one year because i didnt had the time. I really like boxing, but it seems to me that it is really an uphill battle to spar taller opponents.

So, is boxing the most adequate striking art for a short stock guy? Maybe i just need a little more practice, i still have some habits from shotokan that dont translate well to the big-gloves small space environment boxing provides.

Sansara, man, in my opinion you have trained one of the hardest styles for a shorter person. In shotokan the rules (as in all the semi- contact combat sports) favor a lot the taller competitors. In most cases when I fight with shorter guy, I am the first who strikes and not always wins the exchange after this, but if this is a semi- contact, I would win the point and the fight would be restarted. So no matter what you would you choose- boxing or MT, you would feel more comfortable with it.

Guys, on UFC 222's fight- Arlovski vs Struve you probably have heard from Daniel Cormier when asked from Joe Rogan what are the difficulties when fighting taller opponent that the biggest problems are the knees and kicks. He said that if it is just boxing it is not such a big problem, but the kicks and the knees are making the task to get in close much harder. Of course let't not forget that Cormier is relying primary on boxing while on feet and his body type is not so suitable for kicking.

I came here to say kyokushin but looks like you already tried it.

going to kyokushin training makes you feel that you are in an army bootcamp
Not sure what is wrong with that. :D

Also, you can be short and stocky with shit reach and still fight in the UFC. Just ask this guy:

AwWqgnV.jpg

I came here to say kyokushin but looks like you already tried it.

Not sure what is wrong with that. :D

Also, you can be short and stocky with shit reach and still fight in the UFC. Just ask this guy:

AwWqgnV.jpg
The GOAT

I don't recommend for shorther guys to stay on the inside. On MMA or MT you'll be clinched and kneed. Shorter guys usually carry less weight, so you tire first in a clinch battle. I recommend making the bigger man chase you, moving around tires him more than it does the smaller person.

? If you are talking about MMA, the short guy is generally carrying more muscle. ? Outfighting for a shorter guy??

Muay Thai's elbows and knees make a taller fighter a better in-fighter quickly. The shorter fighter can jam punches and a lot of kicks. Elbows take away reach which can be hard on a short guy but be beneficial to a taller fighter.

Guys, on UFC 222's fight- Arlovski vs Struve you probably have heard from Daniel Cormier when asked from Joe Rogan what are the difficulties when fighting taller opponent that the biggest problems are the knees and kicks. He said that if it is just boxing it is not such a big problem, but the kicks and the knees are making the task to get in close much harder. Of course let't not forget that Cormier is relying primary on boxing while on feet and his body type is not so suitable for kicking.

Cormier's dealing w/ kicks has more to do w/ technique. During Jones vs Cormier II, Cormier was at the range that a boxer would want to be in for a huge chunk of the fight. JJ was landing body shots on DC. If you think about it, JJ has to drop his hand a lot to land a body shot. One of the first times in combat sports that I have seen the tall guy land serious body shots. Usually, a short guy is trying to "chop the guy down" and force the taller guy to defend a huge area. Combos and body shots help the shorter guy out.

Some questions you should ask yourself. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking to compete? Which discipline do you enjoy? When do ask which style would be better for a short stocky guy, what do you mean by “better?” Better for what?

As far as boxing goes, there are tons of examples of shorter guys who have great success against taller opponents. The most famous is Mike Tyson but Rigondeaux is like 5’3” and out boxes and counters taller guys all the time. Gonzalez is 5’2” and one of the best boxers right now. Bradley is like 5’6” and most of his opponents are taller than him, and the toughest opponent of his career was a guy the same height as him. Ricky Hatton was also a short guy for his weight class but at one point he was one of the challengers to Mayweather’s position as p4p king. Cotto went up to middle weight, was outsized but was knocking out guys out until he met Canelo, and Canelo won not because he’s bigger, but because Canelo is extremely fucking good.

Bottom line: do what you enjoy and don’t think about your height and build too much.

To emphasise, this point as well, every person/art has their pros and cons. Being short and stocky puts you at a disadvantage range wise, but when you do get inside, your advantages increases exponentially (ie you'll find it easier to throw while the longer, rangier person will find it harder to throw back). Unless the size difference is egregious, in which case I'd say lose weight and move to a lower weight class.

You have to work on techniques to get you at your best advantage. Unfortunately, being a shorter guy with t-rex arms myself that will include taking a shot or two (law of numbers say you you can't avoid them all). If you can't accept that, find another sport

I honestly dont get the question. The best MA for someone is the one he has the most fun doing.
Only then he will develop the determination to really succeed and he will make the adjustments together with his coach that his body and fight style work. Doesnt matter what it is in the end.

Only way to find out is going to the gyms and try out.

? If you are talking about MMA, the short guy is generally carrying more muscle. ? Outfighting for a shorter guy??

Muay Thai's elbows and knees make a taller fighter a better in-fighter quickly. The shorter fighter can jam punches and a lot of kicks. Elbows take away reach which can be hard on a short guy but be beneficial to a taller fighter.

Weight classes didnt cross my mind as I only fight in the gym.

There is no art that is more suitable. There is only techniques that are more suitable.

There is no art that is more suitable. There is only techniques that are more suitable.
And still- if in any art or sport there are more techniques which are more suitable for tall persons, this art or sport should be in generally more suitable and vice versa.

I'd say boxing, especially if you have heavy hands.

Kicking just puts you in danger of being countered with a punch if your limbs are too short.

Short in height doesn't mean short limbs, many Thai boxers have long arms and legs for their height especially at the top of the sport.

A fighter has to make up for being both short and stocky by being freakishly fast, strong, and explosive.

With the number of times this is asked, there's probably a market for "kickboxing for short fighters" DVDs, just like there are DVDs centered around BJJ for older or smaller grapplers.

headbuttfu as long as you have a tito melon head. watch someone like fenech. he had the best head and elbows in boxing. holyfield used the same technique. get underneath them and then stand straight up.

If your looking to just do striking or stand up, then muay thai is good and will translate well with your shotokan and kyokushin background as well as your boxing background.

One of my old instructors did sanda kickboxing, I've never trained it extensively he was also an mma fighter and a pro kickboxer who also had 1 muay thai fight in china. So you'll have to see for yourself.

If you want a bit of a challenge do aikido (not really my style but you can choose wether you like it or not) never seen it in action but you could.

If you want to do kind of a hybrid style thats kind of like mma, then if your close to a sambo gym train sambo, and you can learn striking in sambo too, they have an mma version of it called combat sambo.

Back