Most steps needed to reach opponent from just outside range, you have seen

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Have you ever seen two fighters with such a reach difference in which the shorter fighter needed to take two or more steps to close the distance? What is the most you have seen?

By that I mean shorter fighter is standing just outside longer fighter's reach. And by longer fighter's reach, I mean longer fighter can hit shorter fighter while standing in place, and not needed to take step to close distance with shorter fighter.

Have you ever seen a shorter fighter need to take more than two steps to reach a longer fighter, while that same longer fighter not needing to move in at all to strike? How many steps do you think is simply too much?

Do you think this is common? It just does not seem like a great idea if you have to do this too often, take many steps to reach long opponent. How do you even close the distance when that is the case?

Have you ever seen two fighters with such a reach difference in which the shorter fighter needed to take two or more steps to close the distance? What is the most you have seen?

By that I mean shorter fighter is standing just outside longer fighter's reach. And by longer fighter's reach, I mean longer fighter can hit shorter fighter while standing in place, and not needed to take step to close distance with shorter fighter.

Have you ever seen a shorter fighter need to take more than two steps to reach a longer fighter, while that same longer fighter not needing to move in at all to strike? How many steps do you think is simply too much?

Do you think this is common? It just does not seem like a great idea if you have to do this too often, take many steps to reach long opponent. How do you even close the distance when that is the case?

Are we talking, KB, MT, Boxing?

You either build your game around it (Zambidis, Tyson) or as scoobietoobie said, you drop (massive) weight.

You either build your game around it (Zambidis, Tyson) or as scoobietoobie said, you drop (massive) weight.

Well Zambo competed at the lightest weight in K-1 so his reach problem not that bad. Tyson has some very long arms for a 5'11" fighter. Probably why D'Amato took a liking to Tyson.

Well Zambo competed at the lightest weight in K-1 so his reach problem not that bad.

Maybe, but he was always the smaller fighter, and he build (successfully) his style around it. So I still believe he is a good fighter to analyze when we talk about height/reach disadvantage.

Tyson has some very long arms for a 5'11" fighter. Probably why D'Amato took a liking to Tyson.

I may be wrong, but I always thought that Tyson had the T-rex type of build...

There's two approaches without dropping weight, being like a Tyson or Zambidis and fighting at a very close range and constantly trying to get into that close range. Or there is the approach that Frankie Edgar and Saenchai take, of being either all the way in or all the way out. Saenchai and Edgar wait for a strike to fall short trying to reach them from five miles out, then they quickly cover that distance and attack.

Back