Most recent fight - video

Kiwi Tricker

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys, figured I'd share my most recent fight. Second fight this year, after well over a year's layoff. Fighting in the white gloves/shorts here.

I don't have too much to say, there's already been a lot of retrospective evaluation of the many things I did wrong here. There's a lot that I'm taking away from this fight, and I feel like despite my own shortcomings I still had a good hoon in there. I hope you guys enjoy watching, and feel free to leave any input.

Cheers!

Will check it out in a bit...whatever happened to your original account.

Fun fight! It's awesome that you post it, even if you feel like you didn't perform.

Seems like you had a hard time getting going and was sleepwalking a little in the first few rounds. Looked like you had trouble with finding your punching range, and with his movement and speed. You were following him around a little bit instead of cutting him off. Lowkicks were there but it didn't really seem like they had any pop on them. Did you feel hesitent to throw them with full force?

Towards the end of the third round you started gaining a bit of momentum. You were definitely the more physically imposing guy, and you had the most success when you were able to close in and rough him up in the clinch. You're obviously much stronger than him, but being the shorter guy in the clinch can be difficult, but you were manhandling him a little in there even then.

Started the 4th of well, even cut him off to the right at 11:07, but then you started following him again and he got the outside angle when you sorta tried the long guard and hurt you. Was that shot behind the ear? You showed a lot of guts afterwards man, respect. You were clearly getting the better of him in close with the elbows and short shots. Getting there was a bit tricky.

Nice finish man. The fitfh was a barnburner. Nice lead hook after catching his kick and it seems like you had some success using the left hook to the body a few times as well.

What were you trying to do in there, what's your style? What do you feel like you could have done differently?

Will check it out in a bit...whatever happened to your original account.

Original account? No idea. Signed out of it one day, tried signing back in the next, tried resetting my password, it didn't work, so I threw my toys out the cot and made a new one.

Fun fight! It's awesome that you post it, even if you feel like you didn't perform.

Seems like you had a hard time getting going and was sleepwalking a little in the first few rounds. Looked like you had trouble with finding your punching range, and with his movement and speed. You were following him around a little bit instead of cutting him off. Lowkicks were there but it didn't really seem like they had any pop on them. Did you feel hesitent to throw them with full force?

Not going to lie, it did take me a wee bit to wake up. Main thing I attribute this to was probably that I had no sparring leading up to this fight- it took me a while to remember what I was doing. And not really hesitant- more just that I never quite saw the opportunity to really put one in at 100%

Towards the end of the third round you started gaining a bit of momentum. You were definitely the more physically imposing guy, and you had the most success when you were able to close in and rough him up in the clinch. You're obviously much stronger than him, but being the shorter guy in the clinch can be difficult, but you were manhandling him a little in there even then.

Thanks. I like to clinch, and I knew it wasn't going to be his strength. There's a few positions and techniques in the clinch that I like where being slightly shorter can actually help.

Started the 4th of well, even cut him off to the right at 11:07, but then you started following him again and he got the outside angle when you sorta tried the long guard and hurt you. Was that shot behind the ear? You showed a lot of guts afterwards man, respect. You were clearly getting the better of him in close with the elbows and short shots. Getting there was a bit tricky.

Yeah, it was a right hand that went right on the jaw. I realised what had happened as soon as I went down, so was thankful to still be fine when I got back up to continue fighting.

Nice finish man. The fitfh was a barnburner. Nice lead hook after catching his kick and it seems like you had some success using the left hook to the body a few times as well.

What were you trying to do in there, what's your style? What do you feel like you could have done differently?

Plan was to come forward, hit hard, and work into the clinch whenever I could. I could have done a lot differently here- being more active from the first bell, better use of the jab, better positioning in the ring, and more. Main thing that will help me improve as a fighter, which a few people have said to me, is to be less nice when I fight- don't go out there to play the game, go out there to do my job and hurt the other dude. I didn't have the best camp leading into this, but I know I still could have had a much better fight if I did what I needed to do from the first bell - like I did after the knockdown.

Cheers man :) Answers to your questions in bold in the quote.

Back