most people do not respect boxing.

My favourite is people who have never been hit calling it pillow fighting
i sometime wonder how much difference gloves actually make, I'm sure they stop cuts and bone damage more than anything else, if you'ever taken a clean shot, you'd realize the knuckles compress the glove enough to make it almost negligible I think.

That fight was a well known work as were many of Severn's fights.
i never heard that, he's throwing him awful hard for it to be a fix.

funny thing about boxing is, pre-ufc, lots of people considered it better than most martial arts, there had been a variety of boxing/karate, boxing/gung fu,tkd etc.., and almost always the boxer won easily. Lots of people, americans especially, just considered martial arts as phony and a lot of posturing, a guy like Mike Douglas would tell Ali that he'd bet on a boxer over a martial artist even as Ali was telling him that there were too many other things to worry about. For the most part, at least with standup martial arts, boxers came out on top, in fact, i don't know of any stories of a boxer losing to a standup martial artist, then the ufc came and all the stand up styles got a rude awakening.

Seano must be confusing that one with the Taktarov-Macias fight, which was pretty clearly a work. His point about Severn having his share of worked fights is fair, though. Just not that particular one.

Seano must be confusing that one with the Taktarov-Macias fight, which was pretty clearly a work. His point about Severn having his share of worked fights is fair, though. Just not that particular one.
the early severn fights, dude was just what he was called, a beast, first thought i had was "what if someone gets thrown like that in the streets? he's dead".

the early severn fights, dude was just what he was called, a beast, first thought i had was "what if someone gets thrown like that in the streets? he's dead".

Yeah, he was good for his time. Really the first good wrestler that the UFC had and most of the guys he fought then couldn't deal with him. I don't recall thinking any of his UFC fights were works, though. Those accusations came after his UFC career was done and he was fighting on the small independant shows.

He was also involved in two of the worst MMA fights I've ever seen with the Shamrock rematch and then the fight with Kimo in Japan.

ya, and don't forget how he was old too, too old to learn shit, he had gracie by the balls but didn't even bother to learn how to do anything but keep a mount, he didn't try to do shit until he got tired and gracie choked his ass, a guy with his skills should have been able to learn a basic choke, the saying "old dogs" fits here but I can tell you for a fact, you don't have to stay ignorant, i learned a lot way after I was 21, i can't see why he couldn't have at least learned a few things.

You know what, I was mistaken. It wasn't the fight with Severn that was a work but Mascias' fight with Taktarov. Severn was involved in a lot of works though.

Lack of understanding. A man that ventures into the ring and faces an informed punch, drops any foolish assertion of his combative confidence immediately.

I'd like to start off just saying boxing is a amazing sport and is one of my favorites but I do not believe most of the public respects it the way they do MMA baseball football basketball excetera. I've been around sports fans on my life and not one of them ever claimed that they could have played in the NFL. But in regards to professional boxing I've been around hundreds of people who say that they could beat up Mike Tyson Floyd Mayweather Muhammad Ali the list goes on.

Now obviously these people are complete and utter imbeciles but I've noticed this is very common. And it seems that this only happens in the sport of boxing.

Why do you think this is happened ?

PS I just like to state that I only respect the athletes.
And I think boxing would be better off with two or three big organisations In comparison to the stupid system they have
This happened due to the realization that boxing as a sport, while very dynamic, pretty and aggressive, is simply that - a sport. People are saying they can beat greats up in a street fight simply because it is sort of true. A pure boxer with no knowledge of any other forms of combat (especially grappling arts) is easy prey for people more versed in them, since they are easier to force on the opponent.
If these people were to step into a boxing ring, it would be very ugly, but since we're talking about their claims of a street fight, the result can be debatable.
The idea is; people realized boxers aren't these unbeatable juggernauts that can demolish anyone in a fight. They're just athletes.
That said, it's a fun as hell sport and I enjoy it.

Now, it's magnified with boxing and MMA because fighting is something that essentially everyone has done at least once in their lives, and many people view it as more of an inherent skill or ability. It also is probably a fair bit more significant to the male ego than team or racket sports. So, basically just the delusional male ego and downright stupidity.

Yeah this in bold. People really assume they can 'fight' if they have to even if they have absolutely no experience fighting to back that up. Especially if they are bigger than the combat athlete in question, they assume their 'size' will make up the difference. Plenty of people will claim they could beat Mayweather in a fight but not so many will claim they could beat AJ. In reality the average person wouldn't be able to land a single shot on Mayweather even if he has his hands tied behind his back.

i sometime wonder how much difference gloves actually make, I'm sure they stop cuts and bone damage more than anything else, if you'ever taken a clean shot, you'd realize the knuckles compress the glove enough to make it almost negligible I think.
I agree and I think the biggest difference that at least for me, that I notice, when going down in glove weight or going from amateur boxing gloves to professional contest gloves, is how much quicker your face starts to swell up when you take shots.

Yes he would. And it would look like this.
giphy.gif
Joshua would flatten Severn before he could get close enough to do anything.

I know a lot of people who still talk about how they would have been able to play in the NHL if they had just gotten a break here or there. Same goes for professional football (it's mostly CFL for the people I know, but the odd person will talk about someone they know who made it all the way to the NFL andthat they were better than this person when they were younger). It's essentially all bullshit.

Now, it's magnified with boxing and MMA because fighting is something that essentially everyone has done at least once in their lives, and many people view it as more of an inherent skill or ability. It also is probably a fair bit more significant to the male ego than team or racket sports. So, basically just the delusional male ego and downright stupidity.
Reminds me of a friend who at point really got into BJJ (by watching youtube videos of it, not training in it) and he told me that he thinks if he did BJJ he would have been really good at it, maybe even world class by now. Nobody was stopping him from actually training so it's just pointless

Maybe even harder than bare knuckle. For my first pro fight, I was quite surprised how small the 8oz gloves were and with the wraps, I felt like I was holding weapons in my hands.

I had and probably still have a shot chin. Boxing is easier for a beginner because There's a limited means of attack. An amateur rolling with a black belt is going to get fucked up.

Reminds me of a friend who at point really got into BJJ (by watching youtube videos of it, not training in it) and he told me that he thinks if he did BJJ he would have been really good at it, maybe even world class by now. Nobody was stopping him from actually training so it's just pointless

Maybe even harder than bare knuckle. For my first pro fight, I was quite surprised how small the 8oz gloves were and with the wraps, I felt like I was holding weapons in my hands.
maybe, i think the prime purpose for gloves is for the hands. I still don't know how the old timers managed to fight like they did, even in the later eras, dempsey was said to have what? six ounce gloves, for johnson it looked like little more than leather covering the hand.

maybe, i think the prime purpose for gloves is for the hands. I still don't know how the old timers managed to fight like they did, even in the later eras, dempsey was said to have what? six ounce gloves, for johnson it looked like little more than leather covering the hand.
I've heard those guys fought in a different way because of the danger to their hands if just letting loose like in the modern game, with the potential of hitting elbows and hip bones and foreheads etc, but I'm not enough of a historian or clued up to know specifics. If in today's boxing, if fighters were offered to wear those tiny gloves or the 8oz contest gloves, I think plenty would still opt for the 8oz gloves especially over longer distances. I've always had weaker hands/wrists, and have a fractured wrist from boxing, so I know I'd pick the extra padding.

i've heard that too, it still doesn't make sense though, I think maybe their hands were conditioned better but I don't know. jack dempsey used to soak his hands in some kind of, what was it, brine or some shit?

Oh yeah that's what I mean. People mistakenly think boxing gloves are to reduce damage at the receiving end, but it's to protect the hands. If anything it makes punches more dangerous. From what I know fatalities in boxing increased after the introduction of gloves.

Back