most people do not respect boxing.

You do realize that Anthony Macias weighed 170 lbs and that it was 23 years ago, right ?

It's still real to him damnit!

200.gif

The big difference between boxing fans and MMA fans is many MMA fans always feel the need to tell people how much better their sport is and how boxing is dying (which I've heard so many times). They keep comparing the 2 sports as if they're insecure about something. Just except and respect both sports like someone who's a fan of both basketball and football. All these comparisons and constantly saying how MMA is more like a street fight. Like okay....and? Thanks for that.

Imagine gun fighting became a mainstream sport and their fans started telling MMA fans that their athletes would win in a street fight because they're licensed to carry guns? Obviously bro. Why do you feel the need to say this? What are you trying to prove?

McGregor would likely beat the ping pong world champion at MMA, hence he would ping pong the hell out of him.

It's a great sport. The average MMA fan's ignorance about boxing is really staggering, as any boxing/MMA fan will tell you. They think boxing is just a one small ingredient in MMA, and don't look at it as it's own sport. They don't understand it. And that's fine! Hahaha

As far as people saying "ohh MMA is better because they'd have a better chance in a real fight"... who cares? What the fuck is a "real fight"? Some guy with a gun can negate 20 years of MMA training in 2 seconds.

I think most people don't respect combat sports in general because they don't understand the skill involved. Within that subset a lot of people disrespect boxing because they don't consider it "real fighting", but on the flip side a lot of people think MMA is a joke for different reasons too.

The lack of casual respect for boxing is apparent with this McGregor fight. People adamant he has a solid chance just shows a massive lack of understanding and appreciation for the expertise.

I like the system boxing has better than the system MMA has just because there's way too many world champions in MMA. UFC world champion. Bellator world champion. OneFC world champion. WSOF world champion. Cage Warriors world champion. Etc., etc. It's so damn confusing. Especially with some of these promotions like the UFC having two champions of their own per division. Boxing has a few world champions in each weight class too, but the good thing about that is that boxing promoters have shown the willingness to make fights to unify world championships, unlike in MMA where the top promotions refuse to co-promote with each other. How are we ever supposed to know who the true world champions of MMA if those fights can't be made? And boxing also enforces that the champion must defend against the #1 contender with a certain time frame, whereas in MMA we've seen #1 contenders have to sit by and wait forever for a shot. e.g. The UFC MW title hasn't been defended against the #1 contender for almost two years. By the time McGregor defends his UFC LW belt it will likely be two years since the #1 contender got a shot. Maybe even longer if they make the 3rd Diaz fight.Boxing's structure may be hard to follow at times, but MMA's structure is a complete and utter mess.

is this some sarcastic copy/paste or something? You sound like the people who complain that MLB and NFL call the winners "world champs"

I know a lot of people who still talk about how they would have been able to play in the NHL if they had just gotten a break here or there. Same goes for professional football (it's mostly CFL for the people I know, but the odd person will talk about someone they know who made it all the way to the NFL and that they were better than this person when they were younger). It's essentially all bullshit.
A little off subject but, you'd be surprised how much timing and who you know, makes a difference to get in those leagues. Not talking about Draft pick guys.... talking about free agent couple years out of college and undrafted guys that get in somehow. I know plenty of dudes that were "ok" in college but got enough years in to collect an NFL pension. So many guys in the "skill positions" have the same type of athleticism, it's so easy to be overlooked and just say fuck-it, get a job and move on. Cause by that time (4th-5th year, 12-14 games a year, 90-120 dudes per squad) they've already seen it with their own eyes, they're not that special, at that level.

Man I still think if I get my shot I'll be pitching for the Yanks in a couple seasons. I haven't pitched in 10 years, so I'm well rested.

Don't sully my expectations, TS you Dream Ruiner.

My favourite is people who have never been hit calling it pillow fighting

My favourite is people who have never been hit calling it pillow fighting

I remember about 10 years ago going with my friend to some other guys house and when we got there they were watching bum fights. At some point they all got on this "man, I'd love to go fight someone [...] I want to fight a boxer [...]" talk. I just ignored it and ate the pizza they had. A couple of months later I was playing volleyball with some other folks in the park and these same guys show up. And what do you know, they flinch whenever the ball is spiked their way.

Plus they wore jeans to play beach volleyball. When I think "casual", that's the image that always goes through my head. Guys who wear jeans to play beach volleyball and wince when a 5'7" girl serves at them.

is this some sarcastic copy/paste or something? You sound like the people who complain that MLB and NFL call the winners "world champs"

No, it's not copy & paste. Nor do I care what the NFL or MLB call their league champions. I don't care about anything the NFL does actually since I don't watch or follow it even a little bit.

Some people believe when Rogan says, So and so is a world class striker.

Back