Most painful submission?

a slicer can tear the muscle and make your bicep "roll up" into your upper arm. ever seen matt serra's arm? it looks like he had a similar injury, probably not from a submission tho.

well, its hard to get to that point...you'd have to execute it perfectly and crank hard. its like an achilles lock, it can break your foot but you need to get it on just right. most of the time you just wind up with a black and blue bicep.

pressure point submissions.... knuckles into pressure point under ear hurts like SHIT.

Groin stretches, like the spladle or the Banana split (is there a difference between those two?). The bad ones are moves that you're not quite sure you have to tap against, so you just lie there trying to cope with the pain, like suffocation pins, shin locks, figure 4 back mount and RNC on the jaw. Sternum crush from knee on stomach is really bad too.

Crushing someone while you have there back with the Figure Four body lock is always unpleasant as well.

HE means the MOST painful, but SAFEST (no permanent damage) and from what I understand... the Achilles lock takes the cake!

Calf slicer is probably one of the "safest" painful submissions. It takes a ton of pressure to pop the knee open or do serious damage to the gastrocnemius (at least typically) or break bones in the lower leg. If there's no damage or loss of consciousness possible from a submission then it's not really a submission. A knee ride or kesa gatame (scarf hold) can be very painful but have virtually no danger of injury.

That being said, you can "neuter" some submissions and cause a lot of pain without risking injury. Biceps slicer fits this pretty well and achilles as well. You can set them up so they don't have much danger of accidentally inflicting significant damage while still holding the other guy in a painful hold.

the neck crank that wrestlers use are really painful... but the bicep slicers gradually get painful till of course your arm breaks.... haven't felt the calf cruncher but it looks like it hurts(I saw it happen to Pe De Pano from Napao at adcc)... The knee on the belly, if applied perfectly and unmercifully, it hurts like hell...

most damage? kimura or heel hook.

most pain with least damage, the facelock guillotine (aka 10 fingers choke, also seen as Cecchine's Catch Guillotine). major damage is possible like breaking the neck but you can inflict maximum pain before you inflict damage with this, plus only a moron would squirm once you've got this on so it's all your choice from there.

someguy at work knows i grapple and was talking about moves and how he used to wrestle and such and so i let him go all out in a guillotine on me. he locked it up, cranked and i just postured out. when it was my turn i did the catch guillotine and to this day he's always talking about how that was the most horrible shit of his life. good times.

The question i posed was somewhat in response to a thread i had read somewhere about a guy in street fights and how he always dropped a level shot, and then did a little gnp, was just kind of looking for an alternative to striking.

Fight_Song said:
most damage? kimura or heel hook.

most pain with least damage, the facelock guillotine (aka 10 fingers choke, also seen as Cecchine's Catch Guillotine). major damage is possible like breaking the neck but you can inflict maximum pain before you inflict damage with this, plus only a moron would squirm once you've got this on so it's all your choice from there.

someguy at work knows i grapple and was talking about moves and how he used to wrestle and such and so i let him go all out in a guillotine on me. he locked it up, cranked and i just postured out. when it was my turn i did the catch guillotine and to this day he's always talking about how that was the most horrible shit of his life. good times.

Freaking wrestler, why dont you go work the butterfly guard Dan Gable? It will help you to stand up. Go ankle pick your momma. Sorry, after your "Why pass the guard?" comment in another thread, everything of yours I read is "blah blah blah Im a wrestler blah blah blah Im strong blah blah blah technique is gay blah blah" :(

The best alternative to striking IMO is a choke.

However if it was a fight, I would certainly be striking the shit out of the guy.

The original question is what is the most painful submission that causes the least permanent damage...

Pain is a sign that damage to the human body is occurring, usually due to some type of sub in the case of grappling. So, IMO, it is really tough to maximize pain and minimize the chance of permanent damage. I think we'd all agree that a sub feels more and more painful as it is applied longer and longer, which ultimately increases your chance of permanent damage. And, in the wrong hands, ANY sub can cause damage (from short-lasting to long-lasting) if not released in an appropriate amount of time.

Therefore, for most painful sub, I'd vote heel hook.
For least permanent damage, a properly applied RNC.
For most painful but least permanent damage, even if done by a noob who doesn't release it in time, I'd vote wrist lock or straight foot lock.

Back