Most painful Shogun loss

In retrospect the Jones and Sonnen losses don't sting so much anymore because both Jones and Sonnen where obviously juiced to the gills. So it's hard to take those losses seriously

The Forrest fight hurts but iirc Forrest was on TRT. Hendo was also on TRT. Come to think of it unless I'm forgetting someone, all Shogun's losses were to guys on gear except for OSP and Smith (and Machida if you consider that a loss)

EDIT: I forgot about Gus
Lmfao this post is incredibly sad

OSP.

Shogun had never really been a fighter that had gotten bounced out quickly and to see it happen was rough.
That doesnt count. Should be a no contest since a skateboard was thrown in the cage. And the ref didnt even see it.

Forrest singlehandedly dealt a death blow to the Pride>UFC argument when he choked out Shogun.
What about Rampage knocking out Chuck and Anderson Silva being above avg in pride to elite in the UFC?

He has so many devastating losses, I can't think of another fighter with so many. From Forrest, to losing the title AND almost his life to Jones, to the devasting cry of disappointment when Hendo was announced as the winner in the first fight, to the broken nose in the rematch which made him fall backwards in agony, to the OSP skateboard disaster, to finally going asleep standing against Smith recently.

For me it's Hendo #2 because of how painful it looked and he almost, almost won that fight on several occasions and just couldn't beat this man.

Fuck homey; you making this thread hurt my soul....reminded me of all the pain and loss and brutality.

You left out Chael tapping him with a Guillotine on National TV in like two minutes you were so lost in the pain making your OP.

Now don't get me wrong, all the ones you listed HURT....and some hurt bad - but, there are built in pain justifiers for all of these:

Forrest = Shogun on no knees, gasses early and loses to a tough-guy at his pinnacle
Hendo = Legendary all-time great fight, winner/loser doesn't matter at the time of the decision
Jones = Former LHW GOAT destroyed by new LHW GOAT; is Normal
Hendo Rematch = didn't mean much at the time, was a "Legends" fight
OSP = stopped training and recklessly lunges in like Aldo against a power counter-striker when he is already far out of his prime
Smith = hurt because he hasn't retired when he should, but yeah the way he went down really was painful to watch

For me it'll always be the Chael fight; after all the shit between Wanderlei & Chael we get Shogun as the stand-in and he gets embarrassed by the one of the most annoying shit-talkers of all-time. A BJJ Black Belt subbed by an American wrestler who spent years publicly shitting on the Nogeira's in like 1 minute in the main event on National TV....

<41>:rustled:<Huh2>

Jones and Chael I had to watch live and it wasn't fun. But the Forrest lost was brutal too bc I told the friends/casuals watching with me how he was this destroyer from PRIDE and would be the champ with ease..

i always love watching shogun get wrecked. him getting tapped in the first round by a blown up 185er was probably the most embarrassing. tapping to strikes from a guy who took the fight on two weeks notice especially when his manager cut the nastiest promo on MMA fans was probably the saddest because it showed that even they bought into the shogun hype

but i think his recent victories are much sadder than his losses because he usually just gets totally outclassed
when he wins, it's him barely scraping past guys like gian villante and corey anderson

Not painful since idgaf, but the most embarassing was the Jones one I'd say. Losing to the likes of Forrest would be pretty bad as well and wouldn't compare if we were talking about names alone, but Jones broke Shogun so badly that he didn't even tap to strikes... the fight was already over, Jones walking away, referee already stopped the fight, and Rua was so out of it and broken that he still tapped. He didn't tap to strikes, he tapped to nothing.

i think that may have more to do with his criminal record and his documented cheating.
People were begging for Jones to get a title shot .. after he got the belt, people found every reason in the book to hate him.

Why do people keep referring to Anthony Smith as a rookie? Dude has more fights than Rua!

People were begging for Jones to get a title shot .. after he got the belt, people found every reason in the book to hate him.

You can't be serious? Lol.

It all started with him saying he was a good christian boy who snitched on people who did weed. Then they found cocaine in his system. Later on rumors about him cheating on his girlfriend. The hitting and running from the scene and peds fail came later

Back