Most Humbling Experience in BJJ?

My instructor is a blue belt, he is 5'5 and 130 lbs, I'm 5'11 and 172 lbs.

he kicks my ass every single time... also he is 19 and I am 24. I got subbed regularly by smaller guys (blue belts) at our academy. every single class is a humbling experience for me.

Your instructor is a 19 year old blue belt? I hope you're not paying too much...

Anyway. I'm a pretty humble person as it is. Any day I go to class can be humbling. There are a lot of unassuming looking guys out there that could rip your arm off, or choke you to death if they wanted to.

There is a purple belt in my gym who just graduated high school and beats me like I slapped his mother. It's pretty humbling for a 30-year-old man to catch a vicious ass-beating from someone who still had a homeroom two months ago, and I'm lucky to have such a beastly training partner who's willing to roll with me.

Also, I remember rolling with a black belt who was letting me work, and I could tell how hard he was trying not to kill me. That dude handled me like I would hold an infant.

My first day of BJJ, I got paired up to roll with a girl that couldn't have been more than 130lbs. At that time I was 155lbs and it was all muscle. She ate me alive. It was incredibly humbling at the time, but afterwards I felt less bad about it as I found out she was not only a blue belt, but an MMA fighter who had fought internationally. Whenever newbies came to the gym, we would have her roll with them to prove that Jiu-Jitsu techniques actually worked. She murdered them every time.

I lost a cage grappling match back in April infront of a packed out on an MMA fight card. Not only did I lose, but I hurt my neck in the process and missed a month. Was too over confident with the guy.

My first couple of tournaments would probably rank up there. Just because of the nervousness and the fact I had no clue what I was doing. I was dominated and came away with a lot to work on.

Back