Most Humbling Experience in BJJ?

my most humbling experience was one that every one who trains in a martial art has. it was simply one of those days where everything goes wrong. it came at the perfect time because i know i was starting to get a little bit of a big head about my game. it was just a wake up call where i said to my self that this was going to be much more work than i thought and it was time to put in the work or go home

I can't wait till the day I get my ass handed to me by a world class BJJer

I've had my ass handed to me by: (yet it was fun and good learning experience)

Caio Terra (multiple times)
Gui Mendes
Rafa Mendes
Shaolin
Robson Moura

I've had my ass handed to me by: (yet it was fun and good learning experience)

Caio Terra (multiple times)
Gui Mendes
Rafa Mendes
Shaolin
Robson Moura

Geez, you must go to a shitload of seminars. I'm jealous!

My primary instructor is 40lbs lighter than me and always manages to feel 20lbs heavier. I'm also stronger than he is, but he feels like a freight train as he moves through my ever defense attempt. That's always humbling. But, more than humbling, it's inspiring!

How are they in terms of personaility?

Caio- Super nice and funny, very helpful, jokes a lot

Rafa- Charasmatic and very detailed

Gui- Somewhat quiet, yet technical

Shaolin- Friendly and helpful

Robson- Very nice guy and super technical

I can say all of them were more than willing to help me when I had questions. Shaolin let me train at his school and treated me just like one of his students. None of them acted like they had an ego or were too good or annoyed to help me. Good attitudes towards the students.

My current instructor is a middle aged Brazilian who weighs about 145, 150. I weight just south of 220. One of the first times I was rolling with him, he got closed guard (which he's known for) and as I got hip and collar control and went to put my knee in the middle to start passing, he swept me to mount. Without using his hands. He just hip twitched and swept me. It was the most ridiculous thing ever, I felt like a noob. I haven't figured out how to bridge the skill gap there yet, he doesn't even try and he kicks my ass as fast as he wants. And I've been at this a while.

Looked up BJJ submissions, sweeps and transitions for my first day of class and read over them for about a month thinking I was going to be great...went there and learned that all I had read was complete crap and taught very bad habits. :icon_chee

Looked up BJJ submissions, sweeps and transitions for my first day of class and read over them for about a month thinking I was going to be great...went there and learned that all I had read was complete crap and taught very bad habits. :icon_chee

Hahaha I was very guilty of that! You know they say position before submission? Except I only looked up submissions! And I waited all day for people to put their hand on the ground so I can kimura them. Still hasn't happened yet.....:icon_chee

training no gi with rafael mendes.. you feel stupid

Hahaha I was very guilty of that! You know they say position before submission? Except I only looked up submissions! And I waited all day for people to put their hand on the ground so I can kimura them. Still hasn't happened yet.....:icon_chee

Yeah I'm still waiting for that. :icon_chee

This is really embarrassing but true. On my first day of BJJ I was tapped out from inside someone's guard. Why is that embarrassing? Because he didn't do a submission, he just squeezed his legs tightly and as the pressure increased I got nervous and tapped out. I had never been in someone's guard before and I didn't know how much more pressure he could exert, so I played it safe. Afterwards he was laughing as was like, "dude you won't last long in this sport if basic positions make you tap". At the time I considered myself to be pretty athletic and was in shape so this made me feel like the world's largest vagina. When we restarted I was pissed at myself and thought I'd be tough so I didn't tap right away to a RNC and was put to sleep in seconds. This experience destroyed my false sense of ability, and I realized that if I didn't keep training I'd go through life w/ no confidence in being able to defend myself.

every time I roll with a higher rank, I'm humbled...just about every time.

This is really embarrassing but true. On my first day of BJJ I was tapped out from inside someone's guard. Why is that embarrassing? Because he didn't do a submission, he just squeezed his legs tightly and as the pressure increased I got nervous and tapped out. I had never been in someone's guard before and I didn't know how much more pressure he could exert, so I played it safe. Afterwards he was laughing as was like, "dude you won't last long in this sport if basic positions make you tap". At the time I considered myself to be pretty athletic and was in shape so this made me feel like the world's largest vagina. When we restarted I was pissed at myself and thought I'd be tough so I didn't tap right away to a RNC and was put to sleep in seconds. This experience destroyed my false sense of ability, and I realized that if I didn't keep training I'd go through life w/ no confidence in being able to defend myself.

That is honestly one of the funniest stories I've ever heard. I like how people make fun of themselves. I know what you mean though when you do something really weak, and you embarrass yourself

I've been lucky enough to train/learn from a lot of world class bjjers - Cobrinha, Pe De Pano, Tata, Renan Vital, Gordo, Jacare - just to name a few.

All have beaten me up and tapped me endless amounts of time, but no one has ever made me feel lost like Nino Schembri did. Rolling with him was just different, it didnt hurt but I just did not know what I was doing. I found myself tapping from position I never thought imaginable. Almost like a different type of jiu jitsu, i really dont know how to explain it.

I had just gotten my purple belt. It was before class or open mat. This new black belt with dreadlocks walks up and asks me if I wanted to roll. Previously, I'd seen him hanging out with a few of the local black belts and now I suspect they told him I was "game" for a good roll or two.

So he freakin destoys me with submissions left and right. Bicep slicers and all kinds of stuff. Super aggressive, super technical and slightly crazy. I didn't even come close to getting an advantage much less a point. Just sub, sub, sub and they were rough too. My guard was useless. He says thanks and goes.

I asked one black belt, "Who's that guy," He said, "I don't know..."

I ask another and it turns out he was some high level MMA fighter from Europe or something.

That was weird.

I have gotten my ass kicked plenty by guys with lower belts or who have trained a shorter amount of time. But the most humbling experiance was when I rolled with Marcello Garcie. I video tapped it and looking back over it it was like a was a 4 year old kid getting owned. I know I know it was Marcello but still this was really bad I mean I had nothing and you can tell he was going maybe like 5% or something.

In my first day of class, I tapped out when someone had mount and did the grapevine to me. I thought he was doing some kind of leg lock.

Back