most difficult ufc submission ever pulled off

GSPs sub on Bisping. Considering it was up a weight class, on the #1 in the world at that weight and against a guy that had never been subbed before.

bisping was subbed in his first fight against rockhold and if you believe he was the best middleweight in the world you're delusional

Here's the GIF. But I've seen a few attempt it since MM, so I think it'll happen again.

giphy.gif

I agree with your overall premise. But I think you're probably downplaying Nog's BJJ a bit. Yes, his style was pretty basic. But many of the best BJJ players appear basic because they: (1) stick with fundamentals; and (2) don't give up position trying to be fancy. There certainly were better pure BJJ players than Nog, but he applied it to MMA better than almost anyone.

And I'd say that his BJJ was clearly better than Mir's. In my opinion, Mir's BJJ skills are a bit overrated. Mir was an absolute monster in terms of catching submissions in scrambles. And his submission skills were very slick. But his overall BJJ game wasn't anything to write home about. People tend to think "BJJ" and "submissions" are synonymous, but there's a lot more to it. When you think back on Mir's career, there are very few fights where he dominated via BJJ. He generally won striking matches or caught people with subs in scrambles. He wasn't someone who could pull guard, execute a sweep, slice through his opponent's guard, and set up a submission.

Nog got careless in a scramble, which was Mir's greatest strength, and the rest is history.
Can't say I can disagree. It was basic but unlike Mir good defensively on the ground which was handy in the HW. With roughly equal skill the top position is better 9/10 but not many HWs were close to Nog's skill on the ground so he could threaten from the bottom pretty well or at least defend himself. If prime Mir fought Fedor he'd either catch him early in a scramble like Nog or get smashed(more likely IMO). I doubt he would be able to survive the onslaught on the ground that Big Nog did for 20 minutes and with a 10 minute first round.

Last edited:
The Twister seems like the most difficult to pull off.

Transitions are being confused with submissions.

a funny thing about the "twister" is that I was taught it in grade school wrestling, we called it a guillotine. Our high school was know for their leg rides, which was the set up for the twister/guillotine so it happened often enough, not common but it happened...

GSPs sub on Bisping. Considering it was up a weight class, on the #1 in the world at that weight and against a guy that had never been subbed before.
how many boo's can you get for such mediocre crap.

alot of really difficult submissions come to mind like the kz twister and osp's von fluke chokes
but dj's armbar on borg looked pretty impossible to do again

maxresdefault.jpg

what are some that looked crazy hard to do that worked?
Rose Namajunas did the same thing a couple of years ago.

Back