most difficult ufc submission ever pulled off

Difficulty of the submission should depend on the quality/ability of the person defending it too. Ray Borg lol.

Matt Hughes' "Dave Schultz Choke" on Ricardo Almeida is a thing of beauty.

th

th

th

Not sure what this Dave Schultz business is. That was a farmaconda.

Not sure what this Dave Schultz business is. That was a farmaconda.

LOL yea it was. Its not very often we see a guy get choked like that. Almeida was out. Sometimes I think people underestimate how good Matt Hughes was in his prime. When he fought BJ Penn the second time he was 41-4, let that shit sink in some lol. He finished 35 fighters, 20 KO's and 15 submissions.

Too lazy to Google it, but what's the one where Royce pulled a submission from some super fat guy who was on top of him?

Give our @Ben Saunders some love.

Ben%2BSaunders%2BTaps%2BChris%2BHeatherly%2Bwith%2BOmoplata%2B-%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2BTulsa.gif
THANK YOU

I can't believe it took 6 pages for this. Only Omoplata in the UFC right?

I'd say its something like

Omoplata - Saunders
Peruvian Necktie - Dollaway
Twister - KZ
Ezekiel Choke - Oleinik
Calf Slicer - Oliveira/Johns

Last edited:
THANK YOU

I can't believe it took 6 pages for this. Only Omoplata in the UFC right?

I'd say its something like

Omoplata - Saunders
Peruvian Necktie - Dollaway
Twister - KZ
Ezekiel Choke - Oleinik
Calf Slicer - Oliveira/Johns
Only omoplata in the UFC until last week haha. But yeah, I'm surprised it took that long for anyone (including me) to think of it.

I think Big Nog's BJJ is pretty basic, he's kind of a more refined HW Royce. His grappling shines in applying it against MMA fighters who are less well versed in BJJ but dangerous in other ways. Even though I think there are/were other HWs who are better BJJ players(Rico, Mir, Werdum) in a technical sense his experience and toughness and awareness got him through a lot of hairy situations where seemingly "better" BJJ players would've crumpled. Mir has his number and beats him on the ground 7-9/10 but Mir would not have survived against prime Cro Cop or prime Fedor. I think even roided up Sapp would beat Mir despite knowing jackshit on the ground.
I agree with your overall premise. But I think you're probably downplaying Nog's BJJ a bit. Yes, his style was pretty basic. But many of the best BJJ players appear basic because they: (1) stick with fundamentals; and (2) don't give up position trying to be fancy. There certainly were better pure BJJ players than Nog, but he applied it to MMA better than almost anyone.

And I'd say that his BJJ was clearly better than Mir's. In my opinion, Mir's BJJ skills are a bit overrated. Mir was an absolute monster in terms of catching submissions in scrambles. And his submission skills were very slick. But his overall BJJ game wasn't anything to write home about. People tend to think "BJJ" and "submissions" are synonymous, but there's a lot more to it. When you think back on Mir's career, there are very few fights where he dominated via BJJ. He generally won striking matches or caught people with subs in scrambles. He wasn't someone who could pull guard, execute a sweep, slice through his opponent's guard, and set up a submission.

Nog got careless in a scramble, which was Mir's greatest strength, and the rest is history.

Back