most difficult ufc submission ever pulled off

5.gif

The Mr. Wonderful

Not just once in a lifetime, once ever in UFC history.

Its an armbar
Although u may not be wrong, just like me saying that was a submission, thats not just an armbar.

Hell if ur facing the mat it's called something else than when ur looking up at the sky..

Mir didn't sub Nog with an armbar; it was a kimura. And not a particularly difficult sub to pull off, which makes it the more surprising that Nog got caught with it.
Exactly. And Nog just got too cute with Mir in that exchange. Trying to peek out like that, leaving his arm behind was something he could get away with with lesser grapplers, but Mir just latched on. It was a great exchange and credit to Mir, but Nog set himself up for it
I think Big Nog's BJJ is pretty basic, he's kind of a more refined HW Royce. His grappling shines in applying it against MMA fighters who are less well versed in BJJ but dangerous in other ways. Even though I think there are/were other HWs who are better BJJ players(Rico, Mir, Werdum) in a technical sense his experience and toughness and awareness got him through a lot of hairy situations where seemingly "better" BJJ players would've crumpled. Mir has his number and beats him on the ground 7-9/10 but Mir would not have survived against prime Cro Cop or prime Fedor. I think even roided up Sapp would beat Mir despite knowing jackshit on the ground.

Korean Zombie's twister submission on Poirier (I think) looked pretty complicated.

Like the others said, Garcia was the Twister. Poirier was a Darce.

The combo and scramble before he landed that sub was pretty sick, though.

Although u may not be wrong, just like me saying that was a submission, thats not just an armbar.

Hell if ur facing the mat it's called something else than when ur looking up at the sky..
Its basically a belly down armbar. That is how you armbar somebody when you have their back.

Nog-submit-cro-cop.gif

Couple differences Ronda did there was her grip on the arm. Usually you will have both hands on their arm but she almost had an overhook grip. She also turned onto her side. Just slightly different angle than the belly down armbar. IMO, it makes it a little tighter and harder to escape when you turn onto one hip. You just have to adjust slightly to straighten their arm out.

Its basically a belly down armbar. That is how you armbar somebody when you have their back.

Nog-submit-cro-cop.gif

Couple differences Ronda did there was her grip on the arm. Usually you will have both hands on their arm but she almost had an overhook grip. She also turned onto her side. Just slightly different angle than the belly down armbar. IMO, it makes it a little tighter and harder to escape when you turn onto one hip. You just have to adjust slightly to straighten their arm out.
Kinda, but it's not.

I know the mechanics, I was just looking to see if there was a name for it.

Maybe a straight armbar variant, but still, no

I think Big Nog's BJJ is pretty basic, he's kind of a more refined HW Royce. His grappling shines in applying it against MMA fighters who are less well versed in BJJ but dangerous in other ways. Even though I think there are/were other HWs who are better BJJ players(Rico, Mir, Werdum) in a technical sense his experience and toughness and awareness got him through a lot of hairy situations where seemingly "better" BJJ players would've crumpled. Mir has his number and beats him on the ground 7-9/10 but Mir would not have survived against prime Cro Cop or prime Fedor. I think even roided up Sapp would beat Mir despite knowing jackshit on the ground.
I completely disagree. Nog basically outgrappled Werdum in just about all the grappling exchanges around the time Werdum was a World BJJ champ and ADCC champ.

2acbb5c8fdcf58303ec9678ecc3d85f4.gif

0bd295391889acbbd5016d44bafa346a.gif

bb1797932f601a15a0f1658f27da0c20.gif

Like the others said, Garcia was the Twister. Poirier was a Darce.

The combo and scramble before he landed that sub was pretty sick, though.
My memory seems to be waning in my old age. Thank you gentlemen, you have been of great assistance. Was definitely Garcia.

not one of the most difficult, but one of the most savages

Jon-Jones-x-Lyoto-Machida.gif

Found it!

It's the setup that was more impressive than the sub itself, but it's beautiful to watch.

ufc-172-rockhold-vs-boetsch1.gif

RockholdUFC.gif

Fair points. Nog's BJJ in his prime was great overall as an MMA fighter because coupled with his extreme toughness and well roundedness (for a BJJ guy at the time) he could threaten in many ways which often led to basic submissions. His craftyness and durability are the keys to his success as a BJJ guy.

Technically, like from an ADCC point of view, guys like Werdum and Ricco, and Monson are at a higher level, but in terms of MMA BJJ, Nog is still up there due to the aformentioned points

I completely disagree. Nog basically outgrappled Werdum in just about all the grappling exchanges around the time Werdum was a World BJJ champ and ADCC champ.

2acbb5c8fdcf58303ec9678ecc3d85f4.gif

0bd295391889acbbd5016d44bafa346a.gif

bb1797932f601a15a0f1658f27da0c20.gif
I think that was more due to Nog's experience and Werdum's lack there of. Plus Nog was winning on the feet and even dropped him at one point so the brief exchanges on the ground were dictated by Nog. Don't get me wrong, obviously Nog is good on the ground and I'm not saying what I'm saying to diss him, he's one of my favorites. I just think that its not necessarily his technical skill on the ground as much as some of his other assets that accounted for his success but either way the guy got results and is one of the greatest BJJ players in MMA history in terms of results.

Back