Most common injuries/worst in BJJ class

MaiaBJJ

Green Belt
Reaction score
For those of you who practice BJJ, what are some of your more common injuries? And what is your worst injury? I'm just curious.

Common injuries for me:
- I always bend my big toes under pushing off during scrambles. My big toes almost constantly ache as a result.
- I used to skin the tops of my feet a lot but my skin has become more resistant to that.
- Tweaked elbows from an occasional hard armbar.
- I bleed pretty much every other practice - either from my nose or lips. Even when I don't think I bleed, I blow my nose and there is usually blood.

I've been pretty lucky and haven't been injured badly yet. My worst is:
- I got caught in a guillotine one day and refused to tap for a good half minute. It was a compression choke and the guy was crushing my throat pretty good. I ended up having a sore throat for over a week. It literally felt like a sore throat you would get from being sick.

for me knees and worst lots of gi burns marks on the face.

Not pain or anything for the face, sometimes hard to hang out with friends/party looking like that

Most common injuries are:

Submissions- Elbows from arm bars & shoulders from kimuras

Grappling- Ribs, knee pops, toes and face (busted lips, noses and black eyes)

gi and mat- burns and rashes

rolling with a noob- knees and elbows to the face!

Am sporting a nice bruise on the bridge of my nose atm thanks to a headbutt while I had the back. The most irritating is constantly skinned knuckles - not sure why.

Once one guy stepped on his opponent's foot with his knee in class, and must have snapped one of the small bones in the middle or something - but the guy was writhing around in pain, screaming for 5 mins. Ouchies.

-Gi burns and scratches across the face (makes me look bad ass I think!)
-Scraping the skin off the top of my feet
-I bleed every once in a while from scratches on my hands or face
-knees and ankles start to ache some when I play closed guard too much (forces me to use open guard more)

Worst injuries:

- Dislocated my left arm (2 times)
- Dislocated my right arm (1 time)
- Dislocated 8th rib (never ever again.)

i hyperextended my arm once in an arm bar so from time to time that will act up. i would probably also say i see many new white belts not taping from that and getting similar results.

for me, when i first started, someone lifted me up while i still had them in my guard and long story short, i got dropped on my head and suffered two herniated discs i still deal with (and always will).

o, i also hate wearing cups, so from time to time taking a knee in the junk hurts like a bitch.

i like leglocks which means i expose my feet. this far my major injuries have been foot related. two times i tore the ligament in my foot from toeholds...the second time it tore off completely and took about 6 months to heal. that was two years ago and i can still feel it.

Nose bleeds are common for me when I get caught in the face with knees.

The occassional aching arm following arm bars.

When I spar against some really good pracititioner I get a sore chest from the getting knee on chest alot.

the most common injury is the injury of the ego. most people never recover from it and have to leave the art altogether because of the damage done.

Worst i've had was Whiplash after a new white belt slammed me onto the mat..

Worst i've seen is a blue belt at my club who dislocates his knee every couple of practices but hes just too stubborn to take any time off and rest it up

I won't even mention the little bumps and rashes and jammed fingers and toes I get because everyone seems to get those.

The worse I've had is a partially separated shoulder when I was a new white belt and we were practicing double leg takedowns. This huge wrestler dude lifted me up in the air and practically dumped me on my head. I landed on the top of my shoulder and it sprained the joint that connects the shoulder to the collar bone. I was damn lucky I didn't break my collar bone, but I couldn't raise my right arm normally for about a week, and it was sore and kept making clicking noises for about a month. It sucked.

Worst I've seen were just a couple of dislocated shoulders and a pretty ugly broken nose when one of our guys got axe-kicked in the face by a spazzy white belt trying to do an armbar on him.

Last edited:
apparently it's must be the shoulder and knee. Those I believe take longer to heal and often don't return to 100% normal.

Last night my knee twisted (not sure exactly what direction) and today I am having trouble walking. I suspect it is an LCL injury, doesn't feel like a tear, probably just stretched it out.
The pain is on the outside of the knee. Theres a lump (bone?) on the outside of the knee and the pain is right in that area. Anyone have anything similar? Could I be correct in my LCL theory?

I'm just going off internet symptoms and not knowing what movement caused the injury definitly doesnt help much.

I dont think mat/gi burns count as injuries unless they get infected and put you out.

let a guy tweak a kimura too long and the shoulder took about a month to recover.

right knee hit the mat hard during a throw or something and i had to wear a knee pad for a while it bruised so bad.

-Bulged disc in my neck from tapping to a standing guillotine (ten finger), only to have it re-cranked. (Imagine relaxing up then CRAAAAANK! Your state of relaxation allows a great degree of crankage and now you're neck is screwed.)
-torn meniscus, floating cartilage in my knee :( locks up occasionally, and I figure I can't do seated guard on one side as it tends to cause it to lock when my weight is on it and it is compressed under me.
-Tore the cartilage off my big toe, took 4-5+ months for me to be able to bend it again and I still feel the pain in it now.
-Fractured left hand de-la-riva sweeping a 140kg guy with him landing on my hand in an awkward position
-Broken both toe pinkies! God damn they hurt!!
-Had cartilage damage to my ankle from an ankle lock, took months again to heal..

Knee is probably the only thing that has stopped me from training for more than a few days at a time.

I don't really consider burns/scratches injuries.. if so I am constantly cut by jagged nails, every now and then somebody forgets to cut their nails and I have to endure gaping wounds.

I begun learning from a real agro-wrestler-type, and he frequently did a knee on belly-slam. My belly and chest hurt for about 6months straight.
Last saturday in a competition My arm was tweaked so nicely, that my shoulder and neck on the left side has not worked properly for 9 days. Almost good now though.
Almost every training I get scratches and bumps, but those belong to the sport like mat-burn and Gi-burn.
I dont know if its an injury or something else, but the backside of my left knee has been hurting occasionally, but a LOT these last few months.

Nothing too serious yet though. *knocks on wood*

This seems to happen pretty often at my gym

ohsnapp1.gif

Sometimes arms come off, like in mutant league.

I rarely ever get any injuries whatsoever. I can't believe you bleed every class. Once a dude accidentally stuck his finger up my nose really far and cut the inside of my sinus with his nail, so I bled for quite a bit. It didn't really hurt but it was super weird.

Back