Most all around skilled fighter EVER?

Why are people picking GSP over Fedor?

All I see from GSP is wrestling and a jab.

Fedor had great standup, great ground and pound, great wrestling, great submissions, great submission defense....he was the complete package.

agreed, if we were talking about the greatest round winner then it would be GSP.

Gotta put Tito up there. Of course Frank beat him in his own game and was the first LHW champ but still..

Peace.

You do not have to look far to find out who the most all around skilled fighters are ever. Just start naming off the best the sport has seen and you're there.

Fedor
Big Nog
Randy Couture
Dan Henderson
Shogun Rua
Jon Jones
BJ Penn
Georges St. Pierre
Chuck Liddell
Tito Ortiz
Frank Shamrock
Vitor Belfort

The list does go on. Some real killers out there from the past and present worthy of note.

fedor.

lol @ gsp. the guy that can't even armbar someone properly, who had to be taught after the hardy fight where he went wrong.

Fedor. GSP can't get a sub to save his life.

If we're talkin actual skill sets, and not just a "who's the best fighter who happens to be well-rounded", I gotta go with GSP. By mma standards, he has above average...

Wrestling
BJJ
Boxing
Mui Thai
Kyokushin

I've got to go with BJ Penn in his prime, at 155.

You could easily argue he had the best boxing, takedown defense, and BJJ in the game, all at the same time. He also has very under-rated takedowns. His only weakness was kicks, he never was a kicker. But he didn't need to be.

Others:

Fedor
Aldo
Bas (though he had by far the weakest competition, he still had a very broad skillset)

I'm sorry, in his 'prime'? at '155'?

You mean when he went to 155 after losing to GSP and getting punched in the face 50 times by Matt Hughes? You consider this guy to be the best all around guy of all time?

Yea he collected some wins at 155 then when he came back to 170 (in his prime), GSP beat the living shit out of him. GSP beat him so bad, Mama Penn was taking it to court.

Then he picked up a couple more wins at 155 before Edgar schooled him. Yea, the first fight was close but in the 2nd fight, Edgar dominated BJ Penn both on the feet, and in grappling. And Frankie's a small guy.

BJ then went on to get beat by almost everyone after that... including getting severely out grappled by Jon Fitch, outboxed by Nick Diaz, and destroyed by Rory.

Don't get me wrong, I think BJ Penn is one of the better fighters during his 'prime', though I'm not sure what that means as he's only 34 now... but no way is he even top10 all time.

I think speaking in terms of all-around fighter, it has to be GSP. Background in striking, best MMA wrestler ever, black belt in bjj, phenomenal conditioning, good game plans, and basically the most impressive reigning career (now that Anderson lost his title).

Fedor was insanely good all around as well but probably not as polished in his striking as GSP. Fedor had insane boxing, but he wasn't a kicker. GSP's striking is just near perfect.

Fedor. He had standup, ground n pound, sub defense, submissions galore, plus the mental attitude to go with it. He had no real weakness and could beat people at their own game.

Brendan Schaub! His hand speed is in another time zone and he closes BJJ black belts down before even getting in the ring. There is a reason we call him the hybrid.

GSP, Bones and Aldo were the first to come to mind.

Gotta go with GSP or Fedor.

They can strike with strikers, they can wrestle with wrestlers, they can put you in trouble on the ground, they will take you down at will, they have excellent cardio, they are fast, they are physically very strong for their size.

GSP has better wrestling and is more technical/methodic than Fedor, Fedor has a better chin and clearly better subs and power in his hands.

I think they're as close as it gets to what a "complete MMA fighter". Imagine a Fedor Vs. HW GSP fight! Fight of the century

I can't include JBJ in this list because of his last fight: His striking game looked very limited and amateurish Vs. a fighter with reach. He never adjusted.

Last edited:
Back