Morning Training on a empty stomach?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by shincheckin, Mar 31, 2017.

1. shincheckin Blue Belt

shincheckin
    Is training in the morning on a empty stomach good to loose weight? Or would it be better to eat something small first? I notice I can train much harder if I just eat something small like a banana

2. Josh B White Belt

Josh B
    Then eat a banana.

Eli1015, deviake and bad seed like this.
  3. Pope Leo VII Blue Belt

Pope Leo VII
    no one here knows your body..

experiment and see how the workouts go

slowly add/decrease what you are eating and go from there

4. Thunderhead Assman Extraordinaire

Thunderhead
    Eating less calories throughout the day is good weight loss.

Now, if you're interested in giving intermittent fasting a shot, then I provide you some insight and anecdotal information.

shincheckin likes this.
  5. shincheckin Blue Belt

shincheckin
    yeah my question isnt what to eat etc.

if you google up, theres debate on wether you actually burn more working out in the morning before you eat, or eating something small first.

6. shincheckin Blue Belt

shincheckin
    yeah looking for some info on this.

7. MescalineDreams Brown Belt

MescalineDreams
    In my experience yes. Morning workouts while In a fasted state are INSANE for fat loss.

shincheckin likes this.
  8. corpse Yellow Belt

corpse
    that's the problem. google. i wonder how people knew how to breathe and fuck before google was there. they ate when they were hungry. they lifted weights when they felt strong. they even tried to sleep more when they felt tired. imagine that. just lifting a fucking barbell over your head three times a week and eating potatoes and beef when you feel you need food. reading books and going to bed when you are tired.

incredible.

frango likes this.
  9. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    I'll just throw this out there.

One of the oldest idioms in cycling was to do a roller ride (stationary bike) for an hour first thing in the morning, in the winter months. This was always considered one of the elements of how not to gain a lot of weight in the winter months when you don't have the opportunity to ride 2-6hrs a day.

Cyclists consume large quantities of calories and it is not uncommon for riders to gain 10+ lbs in the winter in areas where there is snow and the daylight is shorter in winter. It's tough to go from 6000calories a day and hours of training a day to indoor training only - for 2 - 3 months. Your daily training load goes way down but your body still thinks you need 6,000+ calories a day. Gaining weight after the end of a season of racing is very easy.

Two old school coaches I had (one eastern european, the other Belgian) both had me do an hour with a some intensity first thing in the morning before eating. Only water, no food until after the morning ride. The other rule of thumb was to stay way from desserts/sweets in the off season. They always preached vigilance around the holiday season when it's easy to eat a tonne of sweets.

These are 80+ yr old training/nutrition concepts that i think we now have rational mechanisms for rather than just anecdotal evidence.

Lamfadha, bushman505, SRN and 2 others like this.
  10. shincheckin Blue Belt

shincheckin
    theres alot more to it than that, thats why there are nutrtionists.

11. feelinCrisp White Belt

feelinCrisp
    I hit a back day earlier first thing after waking up and it felt pretty good. Then I smashed a fried egg, avocado and tomato sandwich.

shincheckin likes this.
  12. Thunderhead Assman Extraordinaire

Thunderhead
    OK. Well, my reasons for doing this diet is purely for the convenience. I train in the morning - sometimes at night as well - and end the day with a single, big meal.

During the day I have more energy and I don't have to deal with the sluggishness that follows every meal. I drink lots of cups of coffee to stifle the hunger and for the extra boost in energy. Also, I take caffeine and ephedrine along with BCAA before my training.

It's been roughly a month since I've been on this diet, and I've lost quite a lot of bodyfat - not to mention I feel more energetic throughout the day and have a better sense of well-being. My mood is positive most of the time, but I can have moments where I get impatient and irascible, but said moments are few and far between.

Intermittent fasting is an amazing diet, but you must be very careful with the food selection. If you eat shit, you will get shit results. Eat whole food such as meat, whole grains, cheese, and beans and avoid sugar and processed carbs like cancer. The better the food choices, the better you will feel and less severe the hunger pang.

For example, if I were to break my fast with donuts and ice cream but kept my calories under the maintenance level, technically I would still lose weight, but I would feel like shit the next day and get hungry as I wake up due to the quickness at which my stomach digests the garbage I ate last night. Foods like steak, chicken, pork, complex carbs - whole food in general - will take longer for your body to digest and in turn have you feeling satiated for a longer period.

If you want to see this diet in action, then check out my diet log in the diet log subforum. I post photos of my physique frequently. I also have a training log in f13 that I track in conjunction with my diet.

shincheckin likes this.
  13. shincheckin Blue Belt

shincheckin
    thanks for the info, can you link me please?

my diet is basically paleo diet m-f, on sat and sun I still eat clean and healthy, but take in some much needed carbs.

I am not paleo extreme, but follow it as good as possible.

pretty much 2 meals a day of lean meat and vegetables, with lots of fruits for snacks throughout the day.

it works pretty good. If i follow it and train hard I can walk at about 150.

if i dont train and eat whatever i want like an average joe i can get up to 165!

14. Thunderhead Assman Extraordinaire

Thunderhead
  15. corpse Yellow Belt

corpse
    alot more money

16. shincheckin Blue Belt

shincheckin
    my question was aimed at anyone that might be more educated on the subject than myself and would be willing to share their knowledge, not some comments like gee why dont you eat when your hungry and sleep when your tired.

17. FinalFight Black Belt

FinalFight
    Eating a banana before you train won't make you gain anymore weight than if you hadn't eaten it. If you can train better and longer with a banana then it's worth it. As someone else mentioned, only you know your body. Try different things and see what works for you.

shincheckin likes this.
  18. Mr. Danger Waffles Gambling Money Has No Home.

Mr. Danger Waffles
    My suggestion is to look up intermediate fasting......

I never eat before 11:00 am, and feel great.

When I'm cutting, I'll have a short run of a morning, about 4 times a week, but will eat the same amount of calories. Weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out, and I like to eat my calories in a short amount of time, but still feel full.

It also puts your body in a state of ketogenesis, if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

shincheckin likes this.
  19. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope

*intermittent

20. Mr. Danger Waffles Gambling Money Has No Home.

Mr. Danger Waffles
    I was stone cold drunk when I wrote that, so my bad. It's still what I do, and it works for me.

shincheckin likes this.