More Nations Are Banning Ritual Slaughter. Should Religious Tradition Be Honored Over Animal Rights?

check out this case
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Lukumi_Babalu_Aye_v._City_of_Hialeah
Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye, Inc. v. Hialeah, 508 U.S. 520 (1993), was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that an ordinance passed in Hialeah, Florida, forbidding the "unnecessar[y]" killing of "an animal in a public or private ritual or ceremony not for the primary purpose of food consumption", was unconstitutional.
God bless em for it, santeria is the last line of defense against hurricanes in South Florida
NkwRqiN.jpg

God bless em for it, santeria is the last line of defense against hurricanes in South Florida
NkwRqiN.jpg

Shit, I often drive around and see boxes with dead chickens in the middle of the road.

How the fuck is this voodoo shit congruent with Christianity?

<JagsKiddingMe>

What about the rights of insects, plants, and bacteria?

I've assisted with slaughter of animals under islamic ritual. Done by the right person it is humane.

Ban meat consumption

They are factory farmed animals. Ritual slaughtering has become highly industrial. It's not Ahmed with a big knife it's Ahmed pushing a button.

Anyway, no, I don't think it's that less "humane" than factory farming in general. It's all hell on earth.

BTW this is not just an Islamic thing. You'll find a lot of farmers in Eastern Europe that just slit the throats of their sheep without sedation.

Not justifying it, but I knew farmers in Belgium who would hold the pig down and slit it's throat. Same with chickens, just hack the head off in the backyard.

Sorry @tonni you are wrong on this one.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/another-bloody-business/4354700
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/r...l/news-story/617eacc8dc7fd774d6f482e6b5c56359
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2011-06-03/the-indonesian-live-cattle-export-trade-animal/6184628
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-07/more-cruelty-in-indonesian-abattoirs-revealed/2750240
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...fb8d58600?sv=fc436cbde0e6e7a7362082dda9d00360

The Federal Government has suspended the trade of live cattle to Indonesia for up to six months until the welfare of Australian cattle at the point of slaughter can be guaranteed.

Since the ABC's 4 Corners program revealed the extent of mistreatment of Australian cattle in several Indonesian abattoirs, a major public debate has erupted.

Footage of cattle being tormented, eye gouged, trampled and slashed several times with blunt knives created a major backlash from the general public

It was huge news a few years ago and it rears its head again every once in a while. The slaughter is part of halal practice, which is condemned by some but accepted in the very next breath:

The chairman of the Indonesian Ulama Council's fatwa commission, which may pronounce on whether the cruel practices are against religious law, said yesterday it appeared meat from the abattoirs was halal (lawful), but the behaviour was sinful.

"If the animal is still alive when it is slaughtered, according to Islamic law it is halal," said Professor Hasanuddin AF.

"But the acts of violence to the cattle are the sin of the person doing them."

Not reading all those links right know, but is your point that animals who are slaughtered halal are treated horribly beforehand?

For the record, I'm in favor of a halal slaughtering ban but it should be a package deal where they also ban factory farming.

Not reading all those links right know, but is your point that animals who are slaughtered halal are treated horribly beforehand?

Too frequently the answer is yes

Meat eaters taking about banning animal slaughter?

<JagsKiddingMe>

Vegans get most of their food from industrial agriculture. That kills shitloads of animals via insecticides and during harvest.

im not into religous hokus pokus but the meat tastes better if cut the animals throat and drain all the blood out.

Too frequently the answer is yes
I agree, but then why not include all forms of cruel treatment? Every few months, in Belgium alone, a report comes out of animals being tortured at factory farms. It gets just about ignored every single time.

Again, unsedated slaughtering is something I've witnessed myself and it was not done by muslims.

IMO factory farms is a bigger problem than the animals not being sedated before death.

I hope this doesn't come over as a whataboutism because that's not my intention. I'm glad it gets banned, but it feels like the tip of the iceberg is being taken down and we ignore the bottom.

Vegans get most of their food from industrial agriculture. That kills shitloads of animals via insecticides and during harvest.
Not to mention that the damage done to the topsoil and the pesticide runoff into rivers and groundwater directly affects animals.

No, just substitute humans, leave the innocent animals alone.

I agree, but then why not include all forms of cruel treatment? Every few months, in Belgium alone, a report comes out of animals being tortured at factory farms. It gets just about ignored every single time.

Again, unsedated slaughtering is something I've witnessed myself and it was not done by muslims.

IMO factory farms is a bigger problem than the animals not being sedated before death.

I hope this doesn't come over as a whataboutism because that's not my intention. I'm glad it gets banned, but it feels like the tip of the iceberg is being taken down and we ignore the bottom.

I'm not sure what to say; my comment was in response to

They are factory farmed animals. Ritual slaughtering has become highly industrial. It's not Ahmed with a big knife it's Ahmed pushing a button.

Of course I think any unnecessary animal cruelty should be punished.

And hard ass vegans say me shooting a deer with a double lung shot or heart shot is cruel....

Gotta imagine this is better than what I've read about the ritualistic ways for animal slaughter:
Vid of animal being hunted

Beautiful elk, I bet he was delicious.

On the topic - just ban religion and there won't be such problems anymore

Honestly, what is more humane? Never letting a chicken see daylight or letting a cow live its life and then slitting its throat?

Not to mention that the damage done to the topsoil and the pesticide runoff into rivers and groundwater directly affects animals.

Yeah, there's almost no "guilt free" food available.

Back