More impressive performance?

Mayweather vs Corrales for a couple of reasons.

1) Prime vs Prime. Both Undefeated and un-exposed.
2) Hopkins' win was significant because Tito was seen as unbeatable by the media, in spite the De La Hoya fight. The extra weight had Trinidad killing people like his old 147 pound days, but his flaws were still there.

Was Tito better than Corrales? Yes, he was. Even that version of Trinidad was as well. But as much of a master class that Hopkins put on, Floyd didn't get touched for the duration. It's one of the most impressive performances of all-time, IMO.

I remember waking up at 5 am to watch Floyd-Corrales live, expecting blood and guts and a close call. Then going to bed asking myself who would ever beat this guy.

Totally, man.

I was about a week behind in seeing it as it was a different world out here back then....but I was gobsmacked.

Diego looked like a murderer before hand. Size, power, accuracy. Floyd didn't just outbox him, he out punched him for every second of the fight. Amazing show.

Speaking of amazing performances I will always remember the revenge fight between Virgil Hill and my fellow countryman Fabrice Tiozzo.

Tiozzo had gotten his only pro loss against WBA LHW champion Hill via a hard fought split decision 7 years earlier. Now the WBA CW champion for 3 years, he had a chance to avenge this loss in his backyard. At 36 Hill had suffered back to back losses to Roy Jones and Dariusz Michalczewski and people thought he was way past his prime. But on that night, it turned out he wasn't.

When he got in the ring the man was absolutely shredded and his eyes glowed like two pieces of burning coal. I remember thinking that the fight would be tougher than expected when I saw him smiling defiantly at Tiozzo as they were getting the ref's instructions. And man, it was.

Right after the bell rang the CW version on "Quicksilver" Hill looked as fast as he ever was at LHW. He moved around his opponent, a notorious slow starter, throwing accurate, stinging jabs that Tiozzo could hardly see coming. Then entering the third minute he threw a perfect one-two, sending Tiozzo crashing to the canvas with a thudding right, though his right wasn't known as a powerful one. As a matter of fact, Hill wasn't supposed to have much pop.

The champion made it back to his feet but he was clearly out of it. Two other knockdowns followed in the next 30 seconds and Hill was a world tiltist again. Tiozzo would win two other belts before hanging them up and Hill would remain the only man to ever beat him. As for Hill, he'd lose his title in back to back loses to Jean-Marc Mormeck before putting one last boxing clinic on undefeated Valery Brudov to get it back.

When I think about great performances in boxing, the Tiozzo-Hill rematch always comes to my mind.

Back