More dominant champion: Floyd or Karelin?

a prime Karelin in MMA is the biggest biggest "what if" in the sport along with Mike Tyson.
Vincent+Parisi,+Alexandre+Karelin,+Fedor+Emelianenko.jpg

Look at that size difference. And yeah, I know Fedor is a giant killer, but never has he faced someone with Karelin's raw strength and elite skill. He would be thrown around with hilarious ease.
Giblert looking sharp.

1297359302418_ORIGINAL.jpg

Saori Yoshida might rival Karelin. Same Olympic record (3 golds, 1 silver), but has 13 world championships to Karelin's 9. And managed to maintain years of dominance in freestyle, which favors youth and athleticism vs Karelin in Greco which favors brute strength.

Andre Ward deserves mention in current dominant champion discussions too. Perfect pro record and a spectacular 115-5 amateur record, along with an Olympic gold.

Andre Ward does not deserve mention... because everybody knows he should have lost the first Kovalev fight, and he won the 2nd with repeated shots to the balls.

a prime Karelin in MMA is the biggest biggest "what if" in the sport along with Mike Tyson.

Look at that size difference. And yeah, I know Fedor is a giant killer, but never has he faced someone with Karelin's raw strength and elite skill. He would be thrown around with hilarious ease.
Karelin was positively on steroids. Fuckin Russian science experiments

Who beat Karelin besides Gardner? I can never find where he got the first defeat from.

First loss - In 1987, his debut at USSR championship, he lost in the finals to Igor Rastoropsky (by the time USSR champion).
He had also 1 draw (no contest) - in 1985 with Alexander Gladkov on the tournament in Zaporoghye (Ukraine).

Karelin was positively on steroids. Fuckin Russian science experiments

I'm willing to bet Karelins big pumpkin head would probably have given him an amazing chin. 1 year of legit striking practice and he honestly would have been a MMA world champion back in the day. Fedor was never a world class grappler, but we saw just how great he was against normal fighters. Karelin without a doubt would have tossed his ass.

People might look at Karelin and think he's just another stiff Hongman Choi super human. Dude was nimble as a fucking cat.

Karelin actually trained boxing a little in young age.

Saori Yoshida might rival Karelin. Same Olympic record (3 golds, 1 silver), but has 13 world championships to Karelin's 9. And managed to maintain years of dominance in freestyle, which favors youth and athleticism vs Karelin in Greco which favors brute strength.

Andre Ward deserves mention in current dominant champion discussions too. Perfect pro record and a spectacular 115-5 amateur record, along with an Olympic gold.

You can't really compare the achievements of male and female sports.

As for the topic I think you got to go with Karelin since nobody had even scored a point against him ten years prior to losing to Rulon Gardner.

Who beat Karelin besides Gardner? I can never find where he got the first defeat from.

I don't know either. You'd think that the 2nd guy to beat him would be well known as well huh. Maybe he has two losses to Rulon?

What was the number of females wrestling vs number of males as far as depth in the sport?

Both were great champions, both were almost undefeated. Floyd record (amateurs included) - 90-4, Karelin - 888-2 . Who was more dominant in his sport?
Ivan Gomes [600 fights - Undefeated]

Better names come to mind.

kaoriichook.jpg

Kaori Icho (same sport, same country, a year younger than Saori Yoshida) has 4 Olympics gold medals and 10 world championships.

Vasyl Lomachenko has an amateur record of 396-1 (only loss avenged twice) and 2 gold medals and will most likely dominate professional boxing for years to come.

Better names come to mind.

kaoriichook.jpg

Kaori Icho (same sport, same country, a year younger than Saori Yoshida) has 4 Olympics gold medals and 10 world championships.

Vasyl Lomachenko has an amateur record of 396-1 (only loss avenged twice) and 2 gold medals and will most likely dominate professional boxing for years to come.
Vasyl certainly has the better amateur accomplishments, but I couldn't include him in GOCT (Greatest of Current Time) contention because of short professional career. A win over Rigo will solidify his position, but he will need a few more years at the top.

It would have been nice if Karelin learned legit submission-defense techniques, he already had the correct base to start from with his Russian grappling pedigree. IMO him being dominant in MMA was more conceivable than someone like Tyson.

Last edited:
It would of been nice if Karelin learned legit submission-defense techniques, he already had the correct base to start from with his Russian grappling pedigree. IMO him being dominant in MMA was more conceivable than someone like Tyson.
a 20 year old Tyson had the athletic gifts to pick up any martial art quickly. I imagine him ruling LHW, with Karelin at HW. It's questionable if Karelin could even make 265 comfortably though, as he was shredded at 285.

Back