More corners need to start throwing in the towel

Nick threw in the towel when Nate got his ass whooped by Thomson

886ebd3706ce5b2aef1f3c043d567bb9.gif
Im well aware

What's going to happen? Their fighter is - gasp - disqualified? Wait, isn't that exactly what throwing the towel means anyway?

Hm....
Its always been a safety concern

When asked why throwing in the towel remains a foul in Nevada, Kizer explained, "It's still something that we want to have as a foul, because it could be a situation where somebody does it in such a way that distracts the fighters, a fighter could get hurt (by a corner throwing in the towel). One fighter sees the towel go in, and he's watching it, and he gets hit in the face."

Yes its a foul. A foul that has the punishment that if you throw in the towel they stop the fight as punishment.

When asked why throwing in the towel remains a foul in Nevada, Kizer explained, "It's still something that we want to have as a foul, because it could be a situation where somebody does it in such a way that distracts the fighters, a fighter could get hurt (by a corner throwing in the towel). One fighter sees the towel go in, and he's watching it, and he gets hit in the face."

Meaning its a DQ
Ending the fight
which is why you would throw the towel
I think people are missing the safety concern which it was originally written for

I understand that.

As the corner you have to way the various risks and the danger of this

886ebd3706ce5b2aef1f3c043d567bb9.gif

versus taking far too many shots to the head.

tumblr_msej3rbK9D1r0b2hgo1_400.gif

and sometimes you are more than justified throwing in the towel despite the risk.

Why blame anyone but cb? If all you're gonna do is curl up and roll to your belly just tap the fuck out instead of waiting for someone to save you. Waiting on the "save" should be viewed as a bigger bitch move than tapping out. If you're done tap and move along, next fight please.
He probably reads sherdog and didn’t won’t to deal with being bashed for tapping to strikes. Hmmm, I think he made the right move.

Everyone knows that MMA coaches don't really understand their jobs. Apparently the sport will need to be around for at least 40 years before one of them actually does their job.

Nick Diaz flung the towel at probably the exact right time ( For Nate vs Josh Thompson) but they're heavily affiliated with boxing culture as well. Dolloway got really fucked up when there was no need for him to.

if the refs got punished more we wouldn't have this problem

That CB stoppage was absolutely disgraceful. Given how many bad stoppages we've seen, more corners should really throw in the towel to protect their fighters when the ref refuses to do his/her job. While Herb was definitely in the wrong, CB's corner should have thrown the towel in to try and save him from further punishment.

When's the last time that a corner threw in the towel in the UFC? The last time I can recall was when Josh Thompson fought Nate Diaz.
Any fighter would change corners (or Gyms) if their coaches threw in the towel every time they didn't look good.
No fighter would accept a corner that does that.

He probably reads sherdog and didn’t won’t to deal with being bashed for tapping to strikes. Hmmm, I think he made the right move.

Haha, that would be a great interview, why didn't you just tap cb... "cause I sherdog bro"

That CB stoppage was absolutely disgraceful. Given how many bad stoppages we've seen, more corners should really throw in the towel to protect their fighters when the ref refuses to do his/her job. While Herb was definitely in the wrong, CB's corner should have thrown the towel in to try and save him from further punishment.

When's the last time that a corner threw in the towel in the UFC? The last time I can recall was when Josh Thompson fought Nate Diaz.

More fighters need to sit down and watch Rocky 4 with their coaches.

It's an alpha thing the sport needs to get past first. Could you imagine the backlash in the mma casual community...

Or a fighter could get hurt by a ref not doing their job

Which of those things is more common?

I honestly think thats what makes Nick Diaz so awesome. That family lives and breathes bravado. But the moment his brother was out of it, he said "fuck pride" and threw the towel. I think I'll always be endeared to him because of that moment of clarity and compassion.

Back