More corners need to start throwing in the towel

If there was ever an appropriate time for Conor McGregor to jump into the cage and push the ref that fight was the time to do it.

conormcgregor.jpg

The towel rule exists for the safety of the fighter. It prevents a dazed fighter from arguing with the fight being stopped. The towel comes in, the fight is over and it's out of the fighter's hands. It's a good rule, and his corner and Herb all need the shit beaten out of them for letting the fight continue. Tapping to strikes has such a negative connotation in the MMA world, no fighter wanting to keep respect will do it. Someone needs to protect the fighter from himself, his pride, and they all failed Dollaway.

Its illegal for starters last i checked
What's going to happen? Their fighter is - gasp - disqualified? Wait, isn't that exactly what throwing the towel means anyway?

Hm....

He lets CB get beaten into a pulp but robs us from a beautiful KO of Ronda by Nunes??? Where is the consistency? If he would have left 3 more seconds in the Ronda fight we would have gotten a 2nd Ronda KO.

Why haven't they thrown the damn towel? It's a big blunder from their end. It's their responsibilities too to see the safety of their fighter. If Herb didn't stop the fight in between the round, trust me his corner would have no hesitation to send him back to fight. I saw no regrets in them. fucking amateurs.

This is on Herb that CB took more punishment than necessary. It's on CB that he decided not to continue fighting. Herb was giving CB extra time to recover, as a kindness. Herb did so because Murtazaliev was blatantly cheating with multiple cage grabs that helped him maintain position. Herb evened out the playing field by getting CB to the next round.

Why haven't they thrown the damn towel? It's a big blunder from their end. It's their responsibilities too to see the safety of their fighter. If Herb didn't stop the fight in between the round, trust me his corner would have no hesitation to send him back to fight. I saw no regrets in them. fucking amateurs.
Everyone knows that MMA coaches don't really understand their jobs. Apparently the sport will need to be around for at least 40 years before one of them actually does their job.

All fighters need to have their mothers in their corner. A mom will want to throw the towel the first time her boy gets hit, and the corner wouldnt throw it if their fighter was getting beat down on the ground with 2x4's by the other fighter, his cornermen and the ref.

They would offset one another and therefore the towel would be thrown at an appropriate time.

All fighters need to have their mothers in their corner. A mom will want to throw the towel the first time her boy gets hit, and the corner wouldnt throw it if their fighter was getting beat down on the ground with 2x4's by the other fighter, his cornermen and the ref.

They would offset one another and therefore the towel would be thrown at an appropriate time.

This is sadly kinda true.

I respect the hell outta Nick for throwing the towel.

Nobody wants to do it.

But sometimes in a sport like this it’s necessary.

In the Dolloway fight, it was undoubtedly necessary.

There's plenty of blame to go around. Herb should absolutely have stopped the fight, and the corner should have thrown in the towel. There was an eternity where that didn't happen.

fd1.gif

I hope people in this thread complaining about the corner men aren't the same guys who have spent years complaining about BJ quitting between rounds. When a fighter is done, he's done. Sending him out again in that condition is incredibly dangerous. When one fighter can't defend himself and the other is raring to go, a lot of damage can be inflicted.

Or MMA coaches can start acting like professionals in other combat sports and put their fighters first?

Or MMA coaches can start acting like professionals in other combat sports and put their fighters first?

Cornermen are literally petrified of being the guy that gets hated cause they threw in the towel too early.

If it starts happening, I’m sure there will be some early stoppages eventually.

But in my opinion, that’s worth it for fighter safety.

If CB had Pennington’s corner, they would have lifted his body and put him on the stool.

Give him a pep talk and let him get beaten into living death the next round.

Back