More Convicted Sexual Predators revealed in Rickson's JJGF Federation!

None of these guys would have passed the IBJJF background check for the certificate. You don't need this for the regular competitor card ($35) but you do need one if you want official certification ($400).

It seems these guys were paying the larger amounts to be officially certified by the JJGF so that's the equivalent level.

JJGF copies IBJJF in a lot of ways; this would be another smart area to do the same.

It's not expensive to do the background check either. It costs $18.50. It's also far from perfect. But it would have stopped these particular cases it seems.

IBJJF gets a lot of hate, but this is another scenario in which they are simply more professional and better organized than their competition.

This is bullshit, I cant blame Rickson for every Bb that turns out to be a sexual predator, but in this case, full him, I can’t believe he sold out for a couple of bucks... things might not be going well back home

I really can't fault Rickson for his stance on redemption. It looks like these cases happened 17 years ago and they served their punishments. One of those guys he says got married, has kids, and he has known personally for years. 17 years is a pretty long time. It is his federation and his rules. People have all kinds of limits on who they feel comfortable with. Some might not feel too comfortable with Transgender or gay instructors while some might see it as discrimination. Some might feel a person convicted of a sexual offense should be punished forever, while some might feel that one that served their punishment and been ok for a decade as "rehabilitated". Bottom line is that if you have a problem with it, don't affiliate with him.

I really can't fault Rickson for his stance on redemption. It looks like these cases happened 17 years ago and they served their punishments. One of those guys he says got married, has kids, and he has known personally for years. 17 years is a pretty long time. It is his federation and his rules. People have all kinds of limits on who they feel comfortable with. Some might not feel too comfortable with Transgender or gay instructors while some might see it as discrimination. Some might feel a person convicted of a sexual offense should be punished forever, while some might feel that one that served their punishment and been ok for a decade as "rehabilitated". Bottom line is that if you have a problem with it, don't affiliate with him.

You're really comparing sex offenders with transgender and gay people? Wtf.

Letting people choose their own comfort level only works if people actually have the information to make that choice.

Using transgender/gay instructors as a contrasting example from above, imagine the following public statements:

"We feel that BJJ is for everyone. Particularly we want to make it known that the transgender/gay community is welcome here."

vs

"We feel that BJJ is for everyone. Particularly we want to make it known that the convicted sex offender/molester community is welcome here."

I've seen the first statement made by quite a few BJJ gyms before. It is easy to say, easy to make known, and easy to stand behind. There's no need to hide it. Perhaps it will drive away some business, but it probably attracts even more in its place.

The second statement I have never seen made. Let's be honest here -- we all know why it's never made too. If this discussion is going to continue in any meaningful way, we need to understand that those two statements are nowhere near comparable. They are completely different issues.

While I can at least try to understand Rickson's rationale for believing in redemption (I don't agree with it but I can at least try to understand from his perspective), this was not a choice that was widely known prior to these recent revelations. From what I saw going around, Rickson faced some serious challenges from members of his own association once his initial stance was made known. So clearly they were not all on board with what was happening. It was not a free choice of comfort level by his association members.

Once Rickson publicly stated his rationale for the initial stance (via statement on JJGF page), he simultaneously completely reversed his stance in the same statement. Once it was widely known, Rickson claimed to change his rationale completely. He said he was banning the sex offenders from then on.

Follow up JJGF statements have since indicated that Rickson intends to ban these additional guys too and implement background checks similar to IBJJF. Assuming JJGF follows through with that decision, I think it is a wise one.

The cover up and hush hush culture surrounding this issue is what causes these things to erupt like this. Decisions that are made quietly and hush hush years ago are suddenly reversed once they become fully known to all involved.

When you have to rely on the cover of darkness to make a leadership decision, it's probably not the right one.

Why did the guy have to peddle his wife's shitty clothing line?

You are defending sex offenders... no shit..

This is bullshit, I cant blame Rickson for every Bb that turns out to be a sexual predator, but in this case, full him, I can’t believe he sold out for a couple of bucks... things might not be going well back home
Brother .. it's what he and his brothers do. It's their familys REAL legacy. No offense but if you look beneath the superficial level youll see that it's obviously true. Their daddy was bout that dollah too. Flame away guys but be forwarned, I not only don't give a shit but as long as there's a "ignore" option here .. we good. Just my educated opinion.

Related question for those of you that have children.
Do you google your child's instructors,tutors,and coaches?

I always google and check Megan's Law sites for any adult that I know my child will have any contact with.

Related question for those of you that have children.
Do you google your child's instructors,tutors,and coaches?

I always google and check Megan's Law sites for any adult that I know my child will have any contact with.

My kids are still young enough that they are never anywhere without an immediate family member there too. The obvious exception is school/daycare, but I know that the state licensing checks are more thorough than I'd be able to do with my own information.

It is a good policy though and a good reminder to be vigilant.

I do run background checks on a decent chunk of people though for various reasons. The practical limitations are that some states are way easier to do this in than others. It just depends on how they set up their system. I've run them regularly in four states around where I've lived, and only one state would I say is truly easy to do. The other three are all limited to specific counties so you have to check multiple times even just to cover the reasonable daily commute in one area. And unless you have an idea of where else the person lived previously, you can't check the whole state unless you want to do it about 50 times or so which is time consuming.

Then there's the fact that if you are just going off first and last name, there are a lot of other people out there with the same name many times. For common names you definitely need some more specific info like DOB, SSN, previous addresses, etc. If you're a little clever you can probably figure out what you need, but again it takes some time and effort.

The IBJJF style background check simplifies things and checks more thoroughly than you can through the free public sites available. So it makes sense to have that kind of policy in place.

There are sites out there like Spokeo that make things much easier, but they all require paid memberships. They're not particularly expensive, but I wouldn't expect normal people to be maintaining paid memberships to investigative sites like that. The average person doesn't even really know about Spokeo. I only do because it's common in my profession.

Brother .. it's what he and his brothers do. It's their familys REAL legacy. No offense but if you look beneath the superficial level youll see that it's obviously true. Their daddy was bout that dollah too. Flame away guys but be forwarned, I not only don't give a shit but as long as there's a "ignore" option here .. we good. Just my educated opinion.

Why would you be flamed? I mean, other than the hero worshippers. There's more evidence to support your opinion than to the contrary.

My kids are still young enough that they are never anywhere without an immediate family member there too. The obvious exception is school/daycare, but I know that the state licensing checks are more thorough than I'd be able to do with my own information.

It is a good policy though and a good reminder to be vigilant.

I do run background checks on a decent chunk of people though for various reasons. The practical limitations are that some states are way easier to do this in than others. It just depends on how they set up their system. I've run them regularly in four states around where I've lived, and only one state would I say is truly easy to do. The other three are all limited to specific counties so you have to check multiple times even just to cover the reasonable daily commute in one area. And unless you have an idea of where else the person lived previously, you can't check the whole state unless you want to do it about 50 times or so which is time consuming.

Then there's the fact that if you are just going off first and last name, there are a lot of other people out there with the same name many times. For common names you definitely need some more specific info like DOB, SSN, previous addresses, etc. If you're a little clever you can probably figure out what you need, but again it takes some time and effort.

The IBJJF style background check simplifies things and checks more thoroughly than you can through the free public sites available. So it makes sense to have that kind of policy in place.

There are sites out there like Spokeo that make things much easier, but they all require paid memberships. They're not particularly expensive, but I wouldn't expect normal people to be maintaining paid memberships to investigative sites like that. The average person doesn't even really know about Spokeo. I only do because it's common in my profession.

Yeah man, there have been a few times i've found people that I didn't want my daughter around. The most common thing i've found were people who had Domestic Violence cases. Sexual misconduct cases are pretty well documented but Domestic Violence and Assault violators i've had to actually look for.

You're really comparing sex offenders with transgender and gay people? Wtf.
It’s a touchy issue. But are you saying sex offenders should not be allowed to live a normal life after they’ve been rehabilitated and given the all clear.

It’s a touchy issue. But are you saying sex offenders should not be allowed to live a normal life after they’ve been rehabilitated and given the all clear.

IMHO they shouldn't be around minors and shouldn't be teaching jiu jitsu to women without disclosure.

Rehabilitated... lol... there is no such thing for sexual predators. There is getting caught... and thats it.

People who have been convicted of sexual misconduct with children or women should def not be allowed in a position of authority over children and women.... isnt that common sense?

Rehabilitated... lol... there is no such thing for sexual predators. There is getting caught... and thats it.

People who have been convicted of sexual misconduct with children or women should def not be allowed in a position of authority over children and women.... isnt that common sense?

Never around children and definitely not around women without full disclosure

BJJ is not the right place for them.

I have a guy who is a recovered alcoholic training with me. Before he got into AA and got sober, he was into some bad stuff. I wouldn't have trained him back then.

But nowadays I think BJJ is a good thing for him. Why? Because it keeps him away from alcohol and his previous life. It's something else he can focus on so he doesn't want to drink anymore. And it seems to be working. It's a huge positive influence in his life.

Would I give him a job in a bar I owned though? Of course not. His recovery wouldn't even let him do something like that because they aren't stupid either. They know that putting an alcoholic back in that setting is just asking for it, recovered or not.

It's the same for giving sex offenders another chance to have close physical contact with women and children in BJJ. It's just asking for it.

There are a lot of other normal things they can do. Touching a bunch of women and kids in the gym is not one of them.

Back