Montreal to Lift Controversial Pitbull Ban

A dog is a dog man.

Labs can be just as powerful as a pitbull or the other big breeds like Malamutes or Akitas. Just cause a lab USUALLY has the temperament of a goofball like most malamutes doesn't mean that they can't fuck you up.

If you wanted a dog that would swim across a semi frozen swamp with unbridled enthusiasm and bring you a warm duck without turning it into hamburger , what would you get ? A jack russel ? English bulldog ?

You know exactly what youd zero in on and why , selective breeding . It works.......the end.

you immensely underestimate how strong and vicious a bobcat is lol. it's very shy, so it won't attack you, but please don't get locked in a small room with one.
Never encountered one in the wild. Seen them up close at zoos and have read and watched videos. The thing is that they will not keep attacking you (a human) with single minded determination like a pitbull would. Unless maybe you were attacking it or it was protecting a litter. Bobcats don't try to kill humans and see us as prey, so even though it has fangs and teeth can do serious damage, it isn't going to come after me like a pitbull would.

The point of those articles isn't to trivialize pitbull attacks. It's to highlight a problem in parenting and bad ownership.

You people do not care about these attacks until you hear the word pitbull. It's pathetic.

" you people "

Yeah , theres some big passionate legion of people out there lobbying for some pit holocaust! That , Or youre just some White/ pseudo white Greek trash fuck tard with too much time on your hands and persecution complex.

Not interested in digging up more fatal min pin attacks huh?

" I'm not an apologist....derp"

Yeah , you'll just spend 4 hours authoring 60 post on the topic , because that's normal.

I can provide a bit of additional background on this issue, being from Montreal:

The initial ban was instated under the previous mayoral leadership. In typical Denis Coderre style, it was done without sufficient public consultation and went into effect too fast with too many questions left open on how to deal with all the remaining pitbulls in Montreal. Again in typical Coderre fashion, a proper public debate was not had, which resulted in actual good arguments for the ban to be lost on the general public and instead, the voices of the anti-ban side were heard loud and clear in news outlets. Many pictures of cute and obedient pitbulls later, and pretty soon, public opinion shifted against the ban, and the current mayor made it a part of her platform to overturn the ban.

Anyway

As I see it, there are two distinct problems when it comes to pitbulls:

1. Dogs freak out. It happens. The problem is obviously that when a pitbull freaks out, people die, as opposed to the vast majority of other dog breeds.
2. Owners (duh). From what I can tell, the vast majority of pitbull owners fall under the 3 categories:

a) the tough guy who uses the pitbull as some extension of his own self image. These are the guys who have male pitbulls they refuse to neuter, the typical negative image of the pitbull owner. This reputation is rightfully deserves, having a pitbull with his nuts in take is absolutely insane and should be forbidden under law.

b) women who use the pitbulls similarly, only here they're projecting a picture of their perfect man: a strong, tough character who can protect them, but is cuddly and sweet at home. This is only sslightly down on the retardation scale from group A.

c) reformers, who get pitbulls to prove how great these dogs are, but most of the time it's to prove how great they are training at dogs. Again, an ultimately completely self-centered approach to dog ownership.

Then there are obviously normal people who just spot a cute puppy at the shelter and bring him home.

IMO opinion the ban should have stayed. The world isn't a worse place with less pitbulls in it, there's no shortage of dogs and if cuddly and friendly is what you're looking for, there are 100s of breeds to choose from. But bad owners will stay bad owners and if you ban pitbulls and other aggressive breeds, they'll just use German Shepards for the same purpose. We need tougher legislation on dog owners. A ban alone won't do.

Spot on with characterizig the typical owner types.

I'd like to see gender, race, income, and age statistics on owners. I would easily bet $50 there are high concentrations among younger people, average to below average earners, single men, and minorities.

If you could get its back sure. All other chokes expose your vitals to its bite. But odds are and I actually have some training on this, you are already bitten at the point you go to the ground. How do you take its back when it has your arm or leg? Answer is you don't. You need to get on top and beat it to death with whatever limbs you have left.
My former muay thai coach is a animal control guy for the county. He has much experience in defending himself against wild dogs. We implemented much of his experience in our real world JKD training. And I unfortunately have had occasion to use that experience in real life. You need to be the aggressor against the dog. If you don't go first you will get bitten.

How exactly do you take a pit bull down without getting bit in the face or neck? They are short dogs that would hard to pin and would likely spin out and jump right for your exposed face.

I have several neighbors who walk their pits and I always carry an OTF knife with me when I leave the house. I would never expect to use it on a living thing but it takes no effort to carry it and has many impromptu uses. And it's legal and has child safety spring tension. And even with the knife I dont favor my chances.

" you people "

Yeah , theres some big passionate legion of people out there lobbying for some pit holocaust! That , Or youre just some White/ pseudo white Greek trash fuck tard with too much time on your hands and persecution complex.

Not interested in digging up more fatal min pin attacks huh?

" I'm not an apologist....derp"

Yeah , you'll just spend 4 hours authoring 60 post on the topic , because that's normal.
I have been here since 2004 and have less than 4k posts you dingus.

Everything else in your post is straight garbage not even worth replying to.

Define 'pit bull'?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but do you mean any dog that shares physical characteristics with what we think looks like a 'pit bull'?

I grew up in a rural community with a neighbour who had APBTs. There were small, non-descript animal. I now live in Toronto, and even though pit bulls are banned here, there are lots of big, mean looking dogs in the bad areas that people call pit bulls.
Irrelevant, President Clinton. See the bullet list of logical refutations.
We have done this before many times this is
your copy and pasted argument that you usually go to when these threads pop up but as always you are not willing to recognize your stats are completely fucked up being compromised of four or more breeds. No one's going to argue that the number will still be higher than other breeds but the fact is it's completely skewed which makes most of your the stats you posted irrelevant

Btw your arguments are for pit apologists so don't tag me in them and come up with a solution rather than telling everyone what 4 different breeds can accumulate in terms of attacks.
Yes, you've lost this argument a dozen times to me, to my "copy/paste" argument wholly built by myself, which I've stored in a Google Doc to spare myself time, since you continue to repeat your mistake, refuse to humble yourself, accept that you have lost the debate, spectacularly, and correct your ignorant opinion.

At this point you're either an idiot or a willful propagandist.

Last edited:
All cars are potentially dangerous but you wouldn't buy a Yugo would you?

How exactly do you take a pit bull down without getting bit in the face or neck? They are short dogs that would hard to pin and would likely spin out and jump right for your exposed face.

I have several neighbors who walk their pits and I always carry an OTF knife with me when I leave the house. I would never expect to use it on a living thing but it takes no effort to carry it and has many impromptu uses. And it's legal and has child safety spring tension. And even with the knife I dont favor my chances.

I am saying they are likely to latch on to your arm or leg at first. If they do then your best bet is to go with it and make sure you are on top when you hit the ground. If you fight it after the dog bites you and try and stay on your feet you are likely to still go to the ground but be on bottom. That is death.

We're talking about Montreal, it's like Florida. Nothing that happens there surprises me anymore.
Montreal... Quebec... the Quebec with the burqa ban and the niqab ban

your surprised they aren't banning all dogs to appease Muslims ?

Montreal... Quebec... the Quebec with the burqa ban and the niqab ban

your surprised they aren't banning all dogs to appease Muslims ?

The burqa isn't banned. It's restricted, but not outright banned.

Irrelevant, President Clinton. See the bullet list of logical refutations.

Yes, you've lost this argument a dozen times to me, to my "copy/paste" argument wholly built by myself, which I've stored in a Google Doc to spare myself time, since you continue to repeat your mistake, refuse to humble yourself, accept that you have lost the debate, spectacularly, and correct your ignorant opinion.

At this point you're either an idiot or a willful propagandist.

Lol saying I lost doesn't make it so and it esspecially doesn't clarify the fact that you are accounting for more than one breed. Your argument is as horse shit as your copy pasta garbage.

The irony here is we share the same concerns yet you are the one who is spewing the propoganda. I have collectively gone through most of your shitty stats through out these threads so it's up to you to convince me along with all the other naysayers why we should not completely disregard your intellectually dishonest monstrosity of a paste job up there.

Lol saying I lost doesn't make it so and it esspecially doesn't clarify the fact that you are accounting for more than one breed. Your argument is as horse shit as your copy pasta garbage.
It's taken me two posts to deconstruct you.

Stop pretending that you aren't a Pitbull apologist. You are the epitome of a Pitbull apologist. You continue to post these anecdotal pro-Pit threads and whine about a collation of data despite that you cannot refute its central thesis, or any of its claims, any more than you can properly spell "propoganda".

It's taken me two posts to deconstruct you.

Stop pretending that you aren't a Pitbull apologist. You are the epitome of a Pitbull apologist. You continue to post these anecdotal pro-Pit threads and whine about a collation of data despite that you cannot refute its central thesis, or any of its claims, any more than you can properly spell "propoganda".
Wtf are you talking about? I made one pitbull thread my entire stay on this forum you dunce.

Your argument has been challenged and has been left unchecked and your entire copy paste job is dangling in the wind until you reclaim it from flying away in a breeze of reality.

I'm not a pitbull apologist in the slightest and this fact is something you cannot deconstruct with the bullshit you have been spewing and it kills you.

What and who is breading what, most every time I see a Pitbull it seems to have a douchebag with it. heheh

Douchebag priorities, get tattoo (you can't afford), buy pitbull, get spike or chain collar for new pitbull, look for job.

The new mayor is female, so I'm not surprised we're getting the 'poor, cute, misunderstood breed' treatment.
#notall

Dog Bites Stats

Severe dog bite injury statistics

Our data were consistent with others, in that an operative intervention was more than 3 times as likely to be associated with a pit bull injury than with any other breed.

Characteristics of 1616 Consecutive Dog Bite Injuries at a Single Institution, by by Golinko et al., Clinical Pediatrics, July 2016

Our data revealed that pit bull breeds were more than 2.5 times as likely as other breeds to bite in multiple anatomical locations.

Characteristics of 1616 Consecutive Dog Bite Injuries at a Single Institution, by by Golinko et al., Clinical Pediatrics, July 2016

Most alarming is the observation that when attacks come from unfamiliar dogs, the pit bull was responsible for 60% and 63% of all injuries and ocular injuries, respectively.

Ocular Trauma From Dog Bites: Characterization, Associations, and Treatment Patterns at a Regional Level I Trauma Center Over 11 Years, by Prendes et al., Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, June 2015

Of the more than 8 different breeds identified, one-third were caused by pit bull terriers and resulted in the highest rate of consultation (94%) and had 5 times the relative rate of surgical intervention.

Dog bites of the head and neck: an evaluation of a common pediatric trauma and associated treatment, by O'Brien et al., BS, American Journal of Otolaryngology, January–February, 2015

Unlike all other breeds, pit bull terriers were relatively more likely to attack an unknown individual (+31%), and without provocation (+48%).

Dog bites of the head and neck: an evaluation of a common pediatric trauma and associated treatment, by O'Brien et al., BS, American Journal of Otolaryngology, January–February, 2015

Although a number of dog breeds were identified, the largest group were pit bull terriers, whose resultant injuries were more severe and resulted from unprovoked, unknown dogs.

In this series, dogs causing the injury were overwhelmingly familiar with the patient: 53% of dogs belonged to the family ... In our series (as in Philadelphia), Pit bulls were most commonly responsible.

Morbidity of pediatric dog bites: A case series at a level one pediatric trauma center, by Garvey et al., Journal of Pediatric Surgery, February 2015

Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs.

Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs, by Bini et al., Annals of Surgery, April 2011

↑ Back to top
Dog bite-related fatality statistics
In 2016, pit bulls accounted for 71% of all deaths, just over 7 times more than the next closest dog breed.

2016 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2017

In 2016, family dogs inflicted 45% of all dog bite fatalities. Family pit bulls accounted for 86% of these deaths.

In 2016, 42%, of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred.

In the 12-year period of 2005 to 2016, pit bulls mauled to death 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days.

12-Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart (2005 to 2016) by DogsBite.org, 2017

In the 12-year period of 2005 to 2016, two dog breeds accounted for 76% of the attacks that resulted in death: pit bulls and rottweilers.

12-Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart (2005 to 2016) by DogsBite.org, 2017

From 2005 to 2016, 46% of all fatal attacks involved more than one dog. Attacks involving pit bulls contributed to 72% of these deaths.

Discussion Notes - 2016 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2017

From 2005 to 2016, only 20% of all deaths resulted in criminal charges. Pit bulls accounted for 74% of these criminal cases.

Discussion Notes - 2016 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2017

By 2020, pit bulls are projected to maul 385 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed.

Fatalpitbullattacks.com, 2017, Nonprofits Urge CDC to Resume Tracking Richer Data Set for Children and Adults Disfigured, Maimed and Killed by Dogs, DogsBite.org, 2014

In 2015, Pit bulls contributed to 82% (28) of the total recorded deaths, the highest fatality count on record for the breed.

2015 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2016

In 2015, the combination of pit bulls and rottweilers contributed to 91% of all dog bite-related fatalities.

In 2015, 9% of the attacks resulting in death were inflicted by dogs rehomed by county operated shelters or rescues.

2015 marked the first time a medical examiner ruled "suicide" as the manner of death in a fatal dog mauling.

In 2014, loose dogs off their owner's property inflicted 40% of all fatal attacks, a sharp rise from the 10-year average of 24% (2005 to 2014).

2014 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2015

In the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008, 18% of all fatal dog attacks occurred off the owner's property. Pit bulls accounted for 81% of these deaths.

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006 to December 2008 by DogsBite.org, 2009

In 2012, "rescue" dogs accounted for 15% (6) of all deadly attacks. Of the adults killed, 3 females, each were killed by their own rescue dog.

2012 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2013

In the first eight months of 2011, nearly half of the persons killed by a pit bull was the dog's owner and primary caretaker.

2011 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2011

In 2011, adult victims of fatal pit bull maulings more than doubled the number of child victims.

2011 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2012

The data indicate that rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities.

That's like 2 .....may be 3 step thinking right there though , and a solid chunk of people that gravitate to those dogs are not really
up to that via being mentally deficient in some way in my experience.

Certainly, that is where the law steps in.

Like OldShadow said, we should make it known that out of control dogs of a certain weight and of certain breeds will not be tolerated.

Punishment and the idea of punishment has a way of filtering down to even the dullest bricks in the foundation of society.

Back