Montano stripped of FLW belt

Miss weight as Champion = Stripped

Miss weight as Contender = Title Shoot

I agree it's pretty stupid and sends mixed messages. However, it is true that the champion must be held to a higher standard. I'm OK with challengers turning down fights, so long as they aren't expecting to be the #1 contender. If you want to fight for the #1 contender spot or you are the champion, you should have absolutely zero say in who you fight.

I think if Tyron Woodley missed weight and was pulled from the card, he'd get stripped. Now the UFC just has to be stricter on forcing fighters to make weight before getting a title shot.

All of this wouldn't have happened if Montano kept her weight in check. Nobodies fault but her own that she had to cut so much water weight that her kidneys told her to fuck off.

I dont know if its true, but another poster claimed that on embedded(?) during fight week she was eating chocolate and drinking beer..
If that was the case.. well.

Not that Sijara Eubanks can beat Valentina right now, but why didn't they have Sarge ready..like they had Kamaru ready for the Woodly Till fight?

Sarge was supposed to fight Montano for the belt the first time anyway.

ive got to agree with you, it also makes what ariel was saying about people from ufc losing patience on nicco all the more accurate. the guy gets the inside scoop, almost always very accurate
The guy did live interview with Conor McGregor. He is A-level journalist (at least in MMA world)

This is what you get when you refuse to cosplay as Pocahontas

so i guess antonina will move to a different division then since valentina is gunning for 125 belt?

Not sure. I might assume that she would move up to 135, as she seemed not too thrilled with cutting to 125. At least long term. Her next fight is still at 125 against Ashley Evans Smith.

about time Dana does something about champs not wanting to fight

Except that because it's Dana, he'll go right back to not caring if champs defend or not the next time one of them blatantly ducks a fight.

Why else would she be stripped ?

She's been having health issues since she won the belt. They were pissed because it took her so long to agree to book a fight.

This stuff about how she did this deliberately because she's scared/ducking Shevchenko is the some of the stupidest shit that I've ever seen from MMA fans.

It's not like Montano got some kind of massive endorsement deal for becoming champ and is sitting on a big pile of passive income that she doesn't want to lose. She was broke and literally living in a grimey basement at the time that she won the belt. She needs to fight to get paid, and she's lost whatever money that she spent on training and travel expenses.

Last edited:

What happened to submitting and ko'ing Valentina at the same time to win the fight? She was flapping them gums and dipped the day before the fight? Fkn hell

He was only an IC, but didn't this just happen to Ferguson?

I've been...away form things for a while. So I didn't know that. Still, interim champ for what has to be a very brief time is a bit different than regular champ who's had the belt over a year without defending even when they're perfectly capable (not injured, etc.).

It was one of the most memorable title reigns in modern UFC history.

This marks the end of an era.

Still a better champ than conor. Conor had fw belt held up for 18 months before it got stripped, then did the same at lw. Nicco had one belt, less than a year.

She failed to weigh in, couldn't make weight, and would have lost the belt on the scales anyway. Declaring the title vacant is the right move.

Nicco should now be offered a fight at 145lbs against Kayla Harrison.

She had some bullshit sinusitis after winning a belt, then she had something else, then she does not even try to cut weight until the weigh in day, then dehydrates and ta-dam! Kidney failure!
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck

Back