Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Low Rank Edition

Okay so I had a huge stupid breakthrough. I got a Botio Piccolo. I accidentally ended up with the mats too which makes it even dumber... So now I have a 780 damage weapon with a lot of white sharp thanks to handicraft. I also went ahead and made a Diablo helm so I could roll without gemming for handicraft. Now I just need to figure out what quest I missed for unlocking trading for handicraft gem parts (aknator parts).

I feel like this set is allowing me to flat out disrespect mobs again. I did a guild hall high rank mission and had over 300 defense with food and pet buffs. I was getting hit by HR mobs for nominal amounts. Gonna finish up some weapon farming and then start progression again.

Last edited:
Very nice. It always feels good in MH when you break through a wall and some of the pieces fall into place so you can start making forward progress again.

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing, going with the low rank Diablos helm to get that extra point into Handicraft so you don't have to worry about gemming it in.

Going to work that set over the weekend. Still haven't had a chance to get revenge on the P. Rath yet, not much play time during the week. Really hoping to get to a good point by the 24th when Bloodbourne hits, since that's going eat up some hours too.

Man that's where my big push is coming in. My brother and I are going to take basically the whole week that bloodborne comes out off. I suspect that based on my previous FROM software time investments that I won't have a lot of other gaming time once it gets here for a good bit. I worry that once that gets here I may not pick MH4U up again. I hope that's not the case as this game has been a blast to play. The other issue is that it now looks like I'm working every day until Bloodborne comes out as well as my work released a new overtime bonus structure that I cannot possibly pass up taking full advantage of. That will limit my progress a lot.

I hate to admit it, but Bloodbourne might be the end of my MH4U time for a while. Bloodbourne hits in a few weeks, then the Witcher 3 a few months after that. There are no release dates yet but Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda U are due out this year as well. Xenoblade is out this month in Japan so I would imagine a US release isn't too far behind, and looking at the game play I can tell I will be putting a huge amount of time into this game.

Man I can understand that. I don't actually have a title on my mind after Bloodborne drops so maybe I can stick with MH4U as well. I don't have much gaming time since I'm working 16 12 hour shifts in a row atm but I did manage to down seregios (5 times) and get the hammer from him. I need to get the upgraded version to really make it work though. Since I have a handicraft set and no other good sets seem available I'm not sure if it's really the best thing for me atm though.

I'm actually REALLY tempted to get Toukiden: Kiwami for the PS4 when it releases later this month. I think Sony was getting tired of waiting for Monster Hunter to come back to the Playstation brand so Tecmo just made a clone game, but instead of hunting monsters you're hunting demons.

There are a few upgraded systems that I kind of like. It's up to 4 player co-op, but you can set up NPC with the AI while going solo instead of using the cats like in Monster Hunter which are pretty worthless. Since you can set up a group there are distinct class roles you can set them too like Healer or Support. The crafting is really similar as well as the game play. It's a tad bit faster, but still feels strategic and not a fast paced hack'n slash. It's also cross save/play with the Vita version so I can still play it on the go while using my Vita.

The main reason I haven't decided to get it yet is it's gong to be a big time sink like MH and with all the games coming out I'm not sure where to fit it in. If I start it when it comes out a bunch of othter games will go on the back burner.

Here are a few videos.

Off screen footage, so it doesn't do justice to the graphics.

Here is some better quality footage, but it's just showing the different weapon types.

So Dinkin I don't know if you remember but I tried to get you on board to play it on PS Vita (the current iteration) with my brother and I. We are both about 30-50 hours from a platinum trophy on it. That's with 120 hours played. That sounds like it's an awesome game with a lot of play value but the reality is it almost reminds me of Everquest in that you are just grinding for long periods of time. On top of that the boss fights were not really that well thought out in my opinion. They made it so that almost every boss has numerous parts where it's almost like you are trying to hit Gravios or another stupid boss in the head to destroy more than half the parts so melee weapons just flat out don't work in that game. What's even more egregious about it is that not only are bows hands down the best part breakers but some of the bow builds flat out do more dps and keep you almost totally safe if you have any where with all to the bosses abilities. Basically you use a bow or you are bad... it's a bummer.

Since I played it before any game in the MH series it really didn't seem so bad... but now I have a hard time thinking about going back. MH flows so well and so many of the items in the game have a legitimate use. The farming is fun and even though there are some annoying bosses in MH4U in general even farming isn't brutal. On top of that you can skill your way through on many fights which is awesome. Comparatively the bosses on Toukiden are just laborous. Until you get a perfect killing mitama set (these give you your skills and damage boosts like equipment in other games) your kill times while solo can be very high. Like 15 minutes. On top of that there is really no reason to do anything other than spam one skill in EVERY build even if you go melee. At most you will use 2 abilities. If you do anything else you are just being terrible and will enjoy a 25 minute fight. There is a boss called Cimmerian King and the first time I fought him it was a 32 minute fight. After I put together a later game Mitama set my kill times are now 5-8 minutes. The other issue is you have to suck to not break every part on every boss. If a fight ends and I didn't break every part I'm actually confused as to how that happened. The last 25%+ of every fight is just grinding down enemy HP. It's STUPID.

Sorry for the rant about it, but now that I've played MH unless they drastically rework the gameplay of Toukiden I would strongly not recommend it. Toukiden has a lot of good elements but it's about a 20 hour long content game that they extended by making every fight terribly long without being challenging. I have probably failed 3-4 legit fights in that game and thats trying to do multiplayer multi boss at once solo missions. And there is no dung bombs. You just fight multiple bosses at once. That's the only challenge they could come up with.

Yeah I have toukiden on the Vita and its not as good as the monster hunter series.

Buts its still entertaining enough...

I'm such a bone head SeefourDC, I totally remember that conversation and didn't even put it together that was you. We even did some PM's exchanging PSN stuff.

Thanks for the in depth breakdown on Toukiden, think I'll pass on it now. For the few upgrades over MH, it seems to lack the depth in combat/tactics that MH has.

I'm such a bone head SeefourDC, I totally remember that conversation and didn't even put it together that was you. We even did some PM's exchanging PSN stuff.

Thanks for the in depth breakdown on Toukiden, think I'll pass on it now. For the few upgrades over MH, it seems to lack the depth in combat/tactics that MH has.

I'll make you a deal though man. If the game comes out and they have reworked some things. If the price on Kiwami for the ps4 is reasonable I'll D/L it and port my character from my vita version to it and help you get started/get past the worst parts of it. I'm just not willing to commit without seeing some improvement after experiencing the awesomeness of monster hunter! It definitely had potential. I can do kills super fast atm too with the end game bows. Lower content is like 1-2 min kills and even current level stuff is approximately 4-5 min so I could get you past the worst of the game decently fast.

Every time my bro and I start an open game we carry people to 4 min kills and everyone switches to bows and starts trying to mimick our builds though. It was at the least an amusing thing to watch.

I'll make you a deal though man. If the game comes out and they have reworked some things. If the price on Kiwami for the ps4 is reasonable I'll D/L it and port my character from my vita version to it and help you get started/get past the worst parts of it. I'm just not willing to commit without seeing some improvement after experiencing the awesomeness of monster hunter! It definitely had potential. I can do kills super fast atm too with the end game bows. Lower content is like 1-2 min kills and even current level stuff is approximately 4-5 min so I could get you past the worst of the game decently fast.

Every time my bro and I start an open game we carry people to 4 min kills and everyone switches to bows and starts trying to mimick our builds though. It was at the least an amusing thing to watch.

Thanks for the offer man, but think I'll pass on the PS4 port after your breakdown. If it didn't already have a full plate of games through the year I might have picked it up, but I would just be trying to squeeze it in.

I can already tell by the footage that Xenoblade Chronicles X is going to be my major time sink on the year. Hoping for a summer'ish release in the Wii U. That and Persona 5. I think Bloodbourne will occupy me for a bit, but will probably only give it a single play through.

I do think I'm going keep MH mixed in with these up coming games though. Working on my Zinogre U set on the Village quests then will pick back up on the Guild side and clear to G rank. It's just hard to make good progress with family and work. Going in for some OT tomorrow that I almost turned down so I could drink coffee and play MH, but in my current position the OT doesn't come around as much as it used too so the extra money is nice.

Last edited:
Also SeefourDC, there is a game mechanic that is not really obvious since it's not really available until late High Rank armor builds that you might not be totally aware of. I'm only thinking about it now since it will be on the set I'm currently working towards.

There is .2 seconds(6 frames) of invulnerability during a roll. So if your timing is perfect you can roll through quick monster attacks like tail swipes. Longer attacks with really large hit boxes like stomps you'll end up eating the damage. The +Evasion skill increases that window of invulnerability during the roll as follows:

None: .2 seconds, 6 frames
Evade+1: .33 seconds, 10 frames
Evade+2: .4 seconds, 12 frames
Evade+3: .6 seconds, 18 frames

They don't seem like big jumps, but they make a huge difference and really allow you to crank up your DPS since you'll be able to stick closer to the monster and roll through a majority of the attacks. With Evade+3 you'll be able to roll through a monsters roar and eliminate the need for Ear Plugs, which is really handy since monsters like Tigrex's roar will actually damage you. Not to mention the duration of a monsters roar really leaves them open for attack that you can now take advantage of.

Haven't played for a week or so because of Hotline Miami 2 and a couple of other games. Last thing i did was make Nerscylla S armor which is pretty good. I was also at Black Gravios and even blue sharpness weapons were bouncing off it at some points, ill may put it back on later.

Haven't played for a week or so because of Hotline Miami 2 and a couple of other games. Last thing i did was make Nerscylla S armor which is pretty good. I was also at Black Gravios and even blue sharpness weapons were bouncing off it at some points, ill may put it back on later.

He was actually surprisingly easy with a white sharpness weapon if it's any consolation. I know your pain though.

Also SeefourDC, there is a game mechanic that is not really obvious since it's not really available until late High Rank armor builds that you might not be totally aware of. I'm only thinking about it now since it will be on the set I'm currently working towards.

There is .2 seconds(6 frames) of invulnerability during a roll. So if your timing is perfect you can roll through quick monster attacks like tail swipes. Longer attacks with really large hit boxes like stomps you'll end up eating the damage. The +Evasion skill increases that window of invulnerability during the roll as follows:

None: .2 seconds, 6 frames
Evade+1: .33 seconds, 10 frames
Evade+2: .4 seconds, 12 frames
Evade+3: .6 seconds, 18 frames

They don't seem like big jumps, but they make a huge difference and really allow you to crank up your DPS since you'll be able to stick closer to the monster and roll through a majority of the attacks. With Evade+3 you'll be able to roll through a monsters roar and eliminate the need for Ear Plugs, which is really handy since monsters like Tigrex's roar will actually damage you. Not to mention the duration of a monsters roar really leaves them open for attack that you can now take advantage of.

At some point I'd like to build a set with evasion in it. I saw a hammer set that was thumbs upped for high rank by a lot of hammer users that I built. It uses double torso up with skull visage and tets pants and then you run Garuga S chest arms and faulds. It's pretty amazing. The chest has a double gem spot so you can triple any gem you put there. The guy recommends running eva +1 in it but I don't have a evasion 2 gem atm so I'm running critical eye 3, razor sharp (half sharpness loss) and HG earplugs.

It's a truly perfect combo for the seregios weapon I'm using because even though it has a tiny amount of white sharpness I rarely fall out thanks to autosharpening and razor sharp. On top of that my crit rating is 30% which is fairly nice at this point and the more I practice with HG earplugs the more insane I see them being. It's impossible to fail a mount which is great, but even better for hammer users you don't have to roll out of a charge like you suggested to dodge a roar. It pretty much guarantees I get a massive damage spike for every roar. I'm still farming for a seregios dissenter so I got to test my kill time and it dropped by a rather large margin on him with this set. On top of that I'm well into 300 defense now as this set has massive armor as well.

Nice man, you're making some serious progress. I've been pretty stagnant over this last weekend since I had to work and had some other stuff to do, so didn't play as much as I would have liked. We're getting ever closer to the Bloodbourne launch so I will likely hit the breaks here in a bit. This will probably be the last weekend for a bit where MH takes my full attention.

Bought Monster Hunter 4 (ps2) from a Goodwill for $7 the other day!

Damn, started this up and was like "wtf is this?" Then Tigrex came in and thought it might be an animated MH show. When it showed the MH RPG my hype went into overdrive. I have no idea what it's about, but I must have this.

Maybe they're trying to get younger kids interested in the MH series?

I'm liking how it looks so far. Definitely similar to what Level-5 has done with their 3DS games.

Back