Money vs. Long Life.

Make money die young, don't make money live longer.

• Total voters
I'm 43. I have a great marriage. Meaningful relationships with a few close friends and my family. I own my own business, which is doing well, and have a successful career in a well paying field (at least it pays well where I am from).

Life comes with a lot of stress and pressure, though. I had the privilege to have a full year sabbatical a few years back. Let me tell you, that was by far an away the best year of my life... and that was with a modest income.

The option to have that for a period of 30 years is extremely appealing. It's difficult to imagine anything to come after retirement at 65 that would top retirement at a young age. And even if it weren't, it's difficult to reason why I might want to work another 22 years for it, when I could have it now.

Haha thats funny cause i had a 1 year sabbatical in 2008 and it was NOT the best year of my life, far from all things considered....

Haha thats funny cause i had a 1 year sabbatical in 2008 and it was NOT the best year of my life, far from all things considered....

That sucks. Everyone has different experiences I guess. I was practically off the grid. I had electricity, but no internet, or cable, and my only heat source was a wood stove (and I'm Canadian, so that's saying something).

I read books, walked the dogs, listened to CBC radio, cut and piled wood, and had a lot of sex with my wife.

That was the sum total of my existence, and it was beautiful.

Felt like Henry David Thoreau. All that was missing was the pond.

Surprised to hear the dismissal of the potential to enjoy the latter years from a dude your age. Id expect it from a 22 yo with no perspective, 60 might as well be 600 at thar point, But my god man , youre nipping on its heals.

I find great fulfillment in my wife , my parents , my kids , my friends , my hobbies , my beer ect. The idea of voluntarily saying " see ya " to all that well before ill likely have to , so i can have an extra few thousand sq ft , or go to a more exotic beach , seems ludicrous . I dont want for shit really right now , I dont see how material things would improve my life to point that cutting years off it would be appealing.

To each their own i suppose. Id maybe try and find some more contentment though bud , seeing as that 100 million probably aint coming down the pipe. Cheers

I can't wait for the latter years, actually. It's the interim that hurts.

I don't want money for an extra few thousand sq ft or to go to an exotic beach. I want money so I can spend my life with my wife, my parents, my friends, my hobbies, my food, etc, before it's too late and the chance has slipped through my fingers.

As of now, my career and my business seem to squeeze every waking moment (and many sleeping ones) from my life.

If its an energetic healthy 90 Id take that. Sickly decrepit demented 90 Ill take the money dollars and run.

Too broad of a question. Making what an average person makes where? Because the world average is pathetically poor.

60 really isn't young, but I'd rather have an extra 30 years. No, wait, i'd take the money and pass it on to my family so they can live better lives. No, wait, teh best gift I can give my family is my time, so I'd choose 30 years. No, wait...

I would prefer it if it was up until 70. 60 is old but not too old. But give me a few billion and I will try to make the most of the 30 remaining years I have left.

Living long doesnt mean living well.

UFC discussion?

OZDSVQO.gif
Wait....the Heavies has an Agent Mulder....

@Agent Mulder's Hair ....WTF

1qPm2oJFSuWOI4rtFx06_Confused%20Ice%20Cube.gif

Who is legit?

I'm pretty bored and disappointed with life tbh. Give me the money and the lord will take me when I OD.

Back