Money vs. Long Life.

Make money die young, don't make money live longer.

• Total voters
I want to quote your post everywhere, I cannot believe the poll is so close. Get rich and die at 60 or stay the same, same steady income until you're having your ass wiped for 20 or so years in a home, in absolute pain mind you, probably a few broken bones as well just from moving.

I see sick miserable old people everyday. Getting old is scary as hell.
I'm gonna take up heroin and skydiving when I turn 60.

19 people wanna live their last 20-30 years in pain, just a sudden movement and they break their back, while just living on steady income. Fucking LOL.
Ud be singing a different tune if u were 59 and ur first grandkid was just born. Enjoy life in ur little close minded box tho

If you had to choose between being super rich from the age of 25, but dying when you are 60, or being an average income person for your whole life, but dying when you are 90, which life would you choose??

Easy math, no?

Either you get 35 years of doing your own thing everyday, when you are young and healthy.

Or you get 25 years of doing your own thing everyday when you are old and worn down.

Ud be singing a different tune if u were 59 and ur first grandkid was just born. Enjoy life in ur little close minded box tho

I dunno. I'm 43, and childless. If I could just not go in to work tomorrow, or ever again, and have 17 years of going anywhere and doing anything I wanted right now, versus waiting until I retire to hopefully be healthy enough to get out and see the world and enjoy my life and freedom, I think I might make that trade.

I'd see and do more in that 17 years than I would in a much longer life tied down to work and career obligations.

Rich and die young. I'm sure winning the Powerball will let me live 10 lifetimes till I'm 60.

I thought this would be about whether a fighter should retire after they start losing or keep fighting to make more money but risk their health.

I dunno. I'm 43, and childless. If I could just not go in to work tomorrow, or ever again, and have 17 years of going anywhere and doing anything I wanted right now, versus waiting until I retire to hopefully be healthy enough to get out and see the world and enjoy my life and freedom, I think I might make that trade.

I'd see and do more in that 17 years than I would in a much longer life tied down to work and career obligations.
Well ur 43 and childless so u already fucked up by missing one of the greatest joys in life

depends on how healthy you are when you're old

if you aren't in great shape at 60 you're basically not living to be honest.

Hmmmm... get rich and then die at 60 or have a shit life and die at 90 in pain??

I wonder what to choose...{<doc}

He didn't say " shit life and die in pain " it was average income.

Anyone that truthfully goes with the money is 1 of 2 things.

A ) Young as shit and lacks perspective in regards to how quickly 60 will get here.

B) Has a life so empty and devoid of meaningful relationships that those aren't even a consideration.

why dont you kiddies go ask your parents the same question.

Life is about money money and money

19 people wanna live their last 20-30 years in pain, just a sudden movement and they break their back, while just living on steady income. Fucking LOL.

My 67 year old dad went on a 5 day backpacking / fly fishing trip in New Hampshire with my daughter and I this summer, even hiked up Mt Washington too.

Bummer youve probably come up around heavy smokers / drinkers , and have no conception of aging well.

Get rich die young.

I'd say my lifestyle has made sure I won't get old... But would be nice if I had family.

everyone drinks, smokes cigarettes, does drugs, eats salad, work out, tan. This might just be America but we try to kill ourselves every day.

brb i got 4 customers coming and got to go pretend im someone who gives a fuck

My 67 year old dad went on a 5 day backpacking / fly fishing trip in New Hampshire with my daughter and I this summer, even hiked up Mt Washington too.

Bummer youve probably come up around heavy smokers / drinkers , and have no conception of aging well.
Nice!

My grandpa is 88 years old and still in incredible shape. We had a pretty bad winter this year and he was the only guy who had his driveway and sidewalks shovelled daily.

He swears the thing that keeps him healthy is his garden. He maintains it year round and its fucking huge.

Well ur 43 and childless so u already fucked up by missing one of the greatest joys in life

That's what people with children tell themselves to self sooth when I'm going out to a nice place with the wife for Friday dinner and then home to binge watch The Walking Dead before a romp and a full night's sleep, and they're picking up a pizza in prep for an evening of homework, Dora the Explorer, and a break of dawn wake up cry.

I'm just joking, of course.

I teach, and I find purpose and meaning and joy in that. So I can certainly see how parents find fulfillment in raising children. But in the scale of things, it's not for me. I enjoy my freedom and autonomy. I know it's a trade off. But either way is a trade off.

I like my trade better, you prefer your own. There's no right or wrong in it. People are different.

Nice!

My grandpa is 88 years old and still in incredible shape. We had a pretty bad winter this year and he was the only guy who had his driveway and sidewalks shovelled daily.

He swears the thing that keeps him healthy is his garden. He maintains it year round and its fucking huge.

The funny thing about this hypothetical question, is that people that go for the hypothetical money seem to forget its just that.

" Hurrr derr , why do i wanna live some long shit life ......gimme da money"

uhhh no , you get nothing and have only succeeded in demonstrating that the life you DO have must be kinda crumby. I actually feel some genuine sympathy for someone that would rush to elevate money to the very top of the list of things that they hold dear. How much is your relationship with your grandpa worth?

He didn't say " shit life and die in pain " it was average income.

Anyone that truthfully goes with the money is 1 of 2 things.

A ) Young as shit and lacks perspective in regards to how quickly 60 will get here.

B) Has a life so empty and devoid of meaningful relationships that those aren't even a consideration.

why dont you kiddies go ask your parents the same question.

I'm 43. I have a great marriage. Meaningful relationships with a few close friends and my family. I own my own business, which is doing well, and have a successful career in a well paying field (at least it pays well where I am from).

Life comes with a lot of stress and pressure, though. I had the privilege to have a full year sabbatical a few years back. Let me tell you, that was by far an away the best year of my life... and that was with a modest income.

The option to have that for a period of 30 years is extremely appealing. It's difficult to imagine anything to come after retirement at 65 that would top retirement at a young age. And even if it weren't, it's difficult to reason why I might want to work another 22 years for it, when I could have it now.

That's what people with children tell themselves to self sooth when I'm going out to a nice place with the wife for Friday dinner and then home to binge watch The Walking Dead before a romp and a full night's sleep, and they're picking up a pizza in prep for an evening of homework, Dora the Explorer, and a break of dawn wake up cry.

I'm just joking, of course.

I teach, and I find purpose and meaning and joy in that. So I can certainly see how parents find fulfillment in raising children. But in the scale of things, it's not for me. I enjoy my freedom and autonomy. I know it's a trade off. But either way is a trade off.

I like my trade better, you prefer your own. There's no right or wrong in it. People are different.
I dont have children yet and im 33 but im working on it, got engaged recently. Been thru 3 failed 3 year relationships before this, but i always knew in the back of my mind i DIDNT want to hit 50 and look back on my life regretting i didnt have any children. And i dont think everyone should pump out babies, the world is already over populated, however for personal selfish reasons, i definitely want to raise at least 1. And im not gonna be a fake ass cunt and say i dont care what i get, i want a fucking boy

I'm 43. I have a great marriage. Meaningful relationships with a few close friends and my family. I own my own business, which is doing well, and have a successful career in a well paying field (at least it pays well where I am from).

Life comes with a lot of stress and pressure, though. I had the privilege to have a full year sabbatical a few years back. Let me tell you, that was by far an away the best year of my life... and that was with a modest income.

The option to have that for a period of 30 years is extremely appealing. It's difficult to imagine anything to come after retirement at 65 that would top retirement at a young age. And even if it weren't, it's difficult to reason why I might want to work another 22 years for it, when I could have it now.

Surprised to hear the dismissal of the potential to enjoy the latter years from a dude your age. Id expect it from a 22 yo with no perspective, 60 might as well be 600 at thar point, But my god man , youre nipping on its heals.

I find great fulfillment in my wife , my parents , my kids , my friends , my hobbies , my beer ect. The idea of voluntarily saying " see ya " to all that well before ill likely have to , so i can have an extra few thousand sq ft , or go to a more exotic beach , seems ludicrous . I dont want for shit really right now , I dont see how material things would improve my life to point that cutting years off it would be appealing.

To each their own i suppose. Id maybe try and find some more contentment though bud , seeing as that 100 million probably aint coming down the pipe. Cheers

Back