Modified X-Guard and Footlocks

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/Modified-X-Guard-And-Footlocks

X-guard is an amazing type of guard, wherein sweeps and submissions abound (mainly sweeps). However, making the transition from single leg X-guard to a more traditional X can be incredibly tough. As you scoop under your partner's leg, there's a spot of space where they can take advantage and step out of the entire position. Enter "modified X-guard."

Never thought to do the sweep with the leg inside. Cool tech.

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Question: when you thread your leg in for the modified x guard, why do you hook your right foot on the near side leg (closest to your chest) rather than bringing across their hip on the far leg?

I had been taught to thread it across so I’m wondering what the reasons (pros/cons) to keeping the foot on the near leg are. Thanks again!

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Question: when you thread your leg in for the modified x guard, why do you hook your right foot on the near side leg (closest to your chest) rather than bringing across their hip on the far leg?

I had been taught to thread it across so I’m wondering what the reasons (pros/cons) to keeping the foot on the near leg are. Thanks again!
There are pros and cons to both. Near side leg pros: keeps the leg bent (huge if you're trying to finish a straight ankle or heel hook), and there are certain sweeps where this is also beneficial.

It's a newer better x guard. It can be harder to get but if you off balance the guy you can switch from the old one. With the new x guard it's easier to stand up and sweep and it prevents the back step.

Back