Mob slaughters 300 crocodiles after death of Indonesian man who wandered in their breeding sanctuary

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Mob slaughters 300 crocodiles in Indonesia following death of local man
The mass killing was in retaliation after a villager was recently killed by crocodile.
by Associated Press / Jul.16.2018

180716-indonesia-slaughtered-crocodiles-3-se-1158p_42c4da33036bf9ead4b36d0c3ebc012f.fit-2000w.jpg

JAKARTA, Indonesia — A mob slaughtered nearly 300 crocodiles at a breeding ground in Indonesia's West Papua province in retaliation for the death of a local man, officials said Monday.

A total of 292 crocodiles were killed by hundreds of villagers on Saturday following the funeral of a 48-year-old man who was killed by crocodiles after entering the area around the breeding pond, said Basar Manullang, the head of the local Natural Resources and Conservation Agency.

The man was believed to have entered the sanctuary in the Klamalu neighborhood of Sorong district to cut grass for his cattle.

"Since killing the crocodiles is illegal, we are coordinating with the police for the investigation," Manullang said.

The agency said in a statement that the villagers were armed with machetes, hammers, shovels and other sharp weapons. They killed two large crocodiles of up to 13 feet and many babies measuring 20-60 inches.

Witnesses said about 40 policemen came to the scene but were too outnumbered to stop the mob.

Police said about five witnesses have been questioned but no suspects have been named.

Police are encouraging mediation between the victim's family and Mitra Lestari Abadi, the company that operates the sanctuary.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...s-indonesia-following-death-local-man-n891766

Humans arent much different then animals in their savagery

Hard to say when we've wiped out any wildlife more dangerous than a Badger in dear old blighty .

That sucks, it's always sad to see piles of dead animals. Do they have constant issues with killer crocodiles? I don't know.

But if so, it's not hard to imagine why a village that constantly deals with killer animals (and then is told they are not allowed to kill those animals) would eventually get tired of it and take them out.

For example, imagine living in an area infested with lions. They aren't majestic to you, they are monsters and they may kill you or your children. I think lions and crocodiles are amazing creatures, but that's only because I don't have to deal with them.

Humans arent much different then animals in their savagery

We're very different, in that we're far worse in ours. This story being a good example of that, actually.

That sucks, it's always sad to see piles of dead animals. Do they have constant issues with killer crocodiles? I don't know.

But if so, it's not hard to imagine why a village that constantly deals with killer animals (and then is told they are not allowed to kill those animals) would eventually get tired of it and take them out.

For example, imagine living in an area infested with lions. They aren't majestic to you, they are monsters and they may kill you or your children. I think lions and crocodiles are amazing creatures, but that's only because I don't have to deal with them.

Crocodile sanctuary. He entered the breeding grounds. Stupid games, stupid prizes.

But sort of on topic with regards to your post, here's an excerpt from a conversation had between a Russian scientist and an Amazonian Indian, in a book I once read.

"Tell me," I asked one of the Indians who spoke just a little English, "do crocodiles and anacondas ever attack people?"
"Of course," answered the Indian. "Crocodiles eat women and anacondas eat men."
"Why are they so particular?"
"Over there, look at my second wife," he said, nodding his head at the Indian woman at the river. "She's washing the dishes near the shore. My first wife was doing the same when a crocodile swam up to her, unnoticed, dragged her into the water and tore her to pieces."
"Does that happen often?"
"Often, very often. A crocodile ate two of my neighbor's wives. Many children have been eaten by crocodiles."
"Are you afraid for your second wife?"
"Of course, I'm afraid. But she'll probably be eaten by a crocodile too. She was already attacked once, but she ran away. A woman, you know, must wash the dishes at the shore. If she gets eaten by a crocodile, then I'll get a third wife," the Indian declared, gloomily.

But look no further than the eradication of mountain lion and wolves in the US for an example of when humans push back unrestrained.

Seems a little excessive...couldn't they have just killed like maybe 20 or so, but make one watch so it can go back and tell the others what happens when they step to a villager...

The wiser thing would be to take into consideration the effects on the ecosystem by taking out predators.

The wiser thing would be to take into consideration the effects on the ecosystem by taking out predators.

Of course that would be more wise, but I'm just saying that it's pretty hard to tell somebody to be wise and conserve the ecosystem when they live near dangerous crocodiles that can eat their children.

Well, they could have looted and burned down their own town instead.

Back