MNN (Trailer for Shark Thriller 47 Meters Down; Joe Johnston to Direct Narnia: The Silver Chair)

Just saw a youtube ad for a movie; Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, by Luc Besson, had a fifth element-ish look. Seemed potentialy interesting, any talk on it?

Not really feeling that trailer. Disney is back at it again, raping my childhood.

First off, Emma Watson as Belle? I know Belle is supposed to be young in the original film but she still carried herself like a woman. And even though Watson is 26 she still looks like a 15 year old girl. A child. Her voice is wrong too. Belle sounded more dignified.

I give Disney props for trying to make the Beast look true to his animated form. But something about it just doesn't look right. Beast looks too small, and his face just doesn't seem to convey the same look as the original.

Gaston looks completely forgettable. This is supposed to be a mountain of a man, with a granite chin, muscles, and chest hairs for days. A caricature of a man's man. I can't see them singing the Gaston Song to the same effect. He's supposed to be hammy, and larger than life.

I think Ewan McGregor and Ian McKellan will be great as Lumiere and Cogsworth. Very sad that they couldn't bring back the original voice actors though, particularly Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Potts, though she is getting up there in age.

And just because I can:

Not really feeling that trailer. Disney is back at it again, raping my childhood.

First off, Emma Watson as Belle? I know Belle is supposed to be young in the original film but she still carried herself like a woman. And even though Watson is 26 she still looks like a 15 year old girl. A child. Her voice is wrong too. Belle sounded more dignified.

I give Disney props for trying to make the Beast look true to his animated form. But something about it just doesn't look right. Beast looks too small, and his face just doesn't seem to convey the same look as the original.

Gaston looks completely forgettable. This is supposed to be a mountain of a man, with a granite chin, muscles, and chest hairs for days. A caricature of a man's man. I can't see them singing the Gaston Song to the same effect. He's supposed to be hammy, and larger than life.

I think Ewan McGregor and Ian McKellan will be great as Lumiere and Cogsworth. Very sad that they couldn't bring back the original voice actors though, particularly Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Potts, though she is getting up there in age.

And just because I can:

Disney's new bestaility movie.

Cocteau's version still gives me the creeps.

That trailer is Beast!!! Beast and his servants looks creepy. Movie looks pretty dark. Will watch.

It looks interesting. Still not sure why this is being remade into live action. But yes, will watch.

Wow! Everything they are releasing for Ghost in the Shell looks amazing! I really hope it does well so companies will try to remake more anime. Stoked!

It looks interesting. Still not sure why this is being remade into live action. But yes, will watch.

I know why it's being remade

21us0.gif

Seriously though- trailer looks pretty solid.

Marvel Studios Traded Characters with Fox to Get Ego the Living Planet

Negasonic-Teenage-Warhead-Ego-the-Living-Planet-Dragonlord.jpg

Deadpool has a surprising connection to the forthcoming Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and it all has to do with Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

The character, played by Brianna Hildebrand in Fox’s R-rated superhero movie, had psychic abilities in the comics. But director Tim Miller and screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick revealed during Deadpool’s marketing campaign that they wanted Negasonic to have powers more suited to her kick-ass name. Before they could make that change, however, they had to ask permission from Disney’s Marvel Studios.

According to Wernick during a Q&A (documented by The Playlist), Marvel gave the okay, but they in turn had to give them something. He explained:

"Kurt Russell [’s Ego, the Living Planet] in the new Guardians movie was the character that Fox swapped with Marvel to [change] Negasonic Teenage Warhead powers."

Ego’s first comic book appearance was in a “Thor” comic from 1966, but the planet’s origins are linked to a “Fantastic Four” comic from 1981. Given this new tidbit, it confirms Ego was a Fox property, since the studio owns the cinematic rights to the “Fantastic Four” and “X-Men” characters.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 director James Gunn confirmed the character trade over social media:

"Yes, this is true! When I first pitched Ego as Quill's father, I THOUGHT we owned the character. After I had worked out a very elaborate story with Ego the Living Planet as a very important part of the Marvel cosmic universe, I learned that we actually didn't own the character. I had no back up plan, and it would be nearly impossible to just drop another character in. Thank God Fox came to us and wanted to make a trade... "

‘Deadpool’ / ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 2’ Character Trade Brought About Ego, the Living Planet

New GREEN HORNET Movie from Paramount and Director Gavin O'Connor

Paramount-Green-Hornet-Dragonlord.jpg

Paramount Pictures and Chernin Entertainment have acquired rights to The Green Hornet. Gavin O’Connor is set to direct a film that will overhaul the image of Britt Reid into an edgy protagonist capable of being the catalyst for a new franchise.

O’Connor, who just directed the Ben Affleck-starrer The Accountant, will work closely with Sean O’Keefe, who’ll write the script. O’Connor will produce with Chernin Entertainment.

The preconception of Green Hornet is a campy ’60s TV series (that starred Van Williams as Britt Reid, and launched Bruce Lee as Kato), and a movie action comedy from Columbia Pictures that starred Seth Rogen. Rogen's Green Hornet did OK, but there was no sequel, and the rights lapsed.

Paramount, Chernin and O’Connor look to wipe the slate clean with the hope that a storied, branded IP can get a do-over, as happened with Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight films and JJ Abrams’ Star Trek and Star Wars pictures.

O’Connor, whose filmography includes such gritty male themed movies that included Warrior, Pride And Glory and Miracle, seems singularly suited for this assignment. He is invested in the mythology of a character that originated in a ’30s radio serial and ’40s comic book series. He shared his ambition with Deadline, and you’ve got to respect his passion.

“I’ve been wanting to make this movie — and create this franchise — since I’ve wanted to make movies,” O’Connor said. “As a kid, when most of my friends were into Superman and Batman, there was only one superhero who held my interest — The Green Hornet. I always thought he was the baddest badass because he had no superpowers. The Green Hornet was a human superhero. And he didn’t wear a clown costume. And he was a criminal — in the eyes of the law — and in the eyes of the criminal world. So all this felt real to me. Imagine climbing to the top of the Himalayas, or Mount Everest, or K2 over and over again and no one ever knew? You can never tell anybody. That’s the life of Britt and Kato. What they do, they can never say. They don’t take credit for anything.”

O’Connor waited until the time was right for his shot. “For almost 20 years now I’ve been tracking the rights, watching from the sidelines as they were optioned by one studio or another,” he said. “When I discovered the rights were available again, I tracked them down, partnered with Peter Chernin and we set the movie up at Paramount. With the rights now in our loving hands, I’m beyond excited to bring The Green Hornet into the 21st century in a meaningful and relevant way; modernizing it and making it accessible to a whole new generation. My intention is to bring a gravitas to The Green Hornet that wipes away the camp and kitsch of the previous iteration. I want to re-mythologize The Green Hornet in a contemporary context, with an emphasis on story and character, while at the same time, incorporating themes that speak to my heart. The comic book movie is the genre of our time. How do we look at it differently? How do we create a distinctive film experience that tells itself differently than other comic book movies? How do we land comfortably at the divide between art and industry? How do we go deeper, prompt more emotion? How do we put a beating heart into the character that was never done before? These are my concerns…these are my desires, my intentions, my fears, my goals.”

The exercise will involve bringing The Green Hornet into the kind of existential struggles evident in some Marvel and DC Comics franchises based on solitary, misunderstood anti-heroes. “The Green Hornet is ultimately a film about self-discovery,” O’Connor said. “When we meet Britt Reid he’s lost faith in the system. Lost faith in service. In institutions. If that’s the way the world works, that’s what the world’s going to get. He’s a man at war with himself. A secret war of self that’s connected to the absence of his father. It’s the dragon that’s lived with him that he needs to slay. And the journey he goes on to become The Green Hornet is the dramatization of it, and becomes Britt’s true self. I think of this film as Batman upside down meets Bourne inside out by way of Chris Kyle [American Sniper]. He’s the anti-Bruce Wayne. His struggle: Is he a savior or a destroyer? Britt made money doing bad things, but moving forward he’s making no money doing good things. He must realize his destiny as a protector and force of justice by becoming the last thing he thought he’d ever become: his father’s son. Which makes him a modern Hamlet. By uncovering his past, and the truth of his father, Britt unlocks the future.”

O’Connor said the character has the requisite physical skills to qualify as a badass: “Britt’s shadow war background makes him a natural at undercover work. This is connected to his military backstory, which is more CIA Special Activities Division than SEAL Team 6. He’s cross-trained in intelligence work and kinetic operations. A hunter at the top of the Special Operations food chain, working so far outside the system he had to think twice to remember his real name. We will put a vigilante engine under the hood of his character,” O’Connor said.

Paramount Pictures and Chernin Entertainment Acquire 'The Green Hornet' Rights, Gavin O'Connor Set to Direct @Bullitt68

First Trailer for R-Rated JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK Animated Movie

Batman can handle almost anything — but as the Justice League Dark trailer shows, he needs a little help when it comes to the supernatural. Batman calls upon John Constantine, to help him combat demons invading the world, which are forcing law-abiding citizens to comment crimes.

Justice League Dark is following in the footsteps of Batman: The Killing Joke by bringing another R-rated film to the DC animated universe. The animated take on Justice League Dark is coming ahead of a live-action adaptation of the supernatural team from director Doug Liman. Justice League Dark is directed by Jay Oliva and is expected for a home entertainment release early next year.

'Justice League Dark': Trailer for R-Rated Animated Film Shows Batman in a Supernatural Teamup

Steve Carell in Talks to Star in Live-Action MINECRAFT Movie

Steve-Carell-Minecraft-Dragonlord.jpg

Warner Bros. is getting close to making the first big casting for its Minecraft movie: Steve Carell. The Office actor is in talks to join the ensemble of the studio’s big-screen adaptation of the popular video game. Rob McElhenney is on board to direct the pic. McElhenney also penned the latest draft with Wonder Woman scribe Jason Fuchs.

Warner Bros. acquired film rights to the video game franchise in February from Swedish developer Mojang AB and set up the project with Roy Lee through his Vertigo Entertainment production company, along with Jill Messick (Mean Girls).

The game, which debuted in 2009, allows players to create their own avatars and build an environment using textured cubes in a 3D world as they battle nocturnal monsters. Multiple gameplay modes are available, including survival mode, creative mode, and adventure mode.

The movie is set to bow on May 25, 2019.

Steve Carell in Talks to Join ‘Minecraft’ Live-Action Movie at Warner Bros. (Exclusive)

Matt Damon Will Make a Cameo Appearance in OCEAN'S EIGHT

Matt-Damon-Oceans-Eight-Dragonlord.jpg

While the upcoming Ocean’s Eight will feature a new, all-female crew, one member of Danny Ocean’s famed gang will be returning.

Speaking with Entertainment Tonight at the premiere of Manchester by the Sea, Matt Damon revealed that he’s set for a part in the Sandra Bullock-led spinoff.

“I think I’m doing a little bit in the movie,” he teased. “I haven’t read it yet, but the cast is phenomenal and I’m excited to see what those women do with it. It’s going to be fun.” Along with Bullock, the cast includes Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Mindy Kaling, Helena Bonham Carter, and Awkwafina.

For Steven Soderbergh’s Ocean’s trilogy, Damon starred as Linus Caldwell, the young, naïve member of the crew, who often had to be bailed out by his parents and could definitely pull off a fake nose.

While it does feature an all new cast, Ocean's Eight does take place in the same universe as the other three films, so Damon might not be the only familiar face to show up once all is said and done.

Matt Damon Reveals He Will Have a Cameo in Gary Ross' 'Ocean's Eight'

Steve Carell in Talks to Star in Live-Action MINECRAFT Movie

Steve-Carell-Minecraft-Dragonlord.jpg

Warner Bros. is getting close to making the first big casting for its Minecraft movie: Steve Carell. The Office actor is in talks to join the ensemble of the studio’s big-screen adaptation of the popular video game. Rob McElhenney is on board to direct the pic. McElhenney also penned the latest draft with Wonder Woman scribe Jason Fuchs.

Warner Bros. acquired film rights to the video game franchise in February from Swedish developer Mojang AB and set up the project with Roy Lee through his Vertigo Entertainment production company, along with Jill Messick (Mean Girls).

The game, which debuted in 2009, allows players to create their own avatars and build an environment using textured cubes in a 3D world as they battle nocturnal monsters. Multiple gameplay modes are available, including survival mode, creative mode, and adventure mode.

The movie is set to bow on May 25, 2019.

Steve Carell in Talks to Join ‘Minecraft’ Live-Action Movie at Warner Bros. (Exclusive)

Sounds like he's in desperate need of a paycheck.

KUNG FU PANDA Director to Helm Adaptation of Cult Comic BONE

mark_osborne_bone_split.jpg

Mark Osborne, fresh off directing The Little Prince, has come aboard to helm Warner Bros.’ animated adaptation of Bone, the Eisner-winning comic series from Jeff Smith.

At the same time, Adam Kline has been tapped to co-write the script with Osborne. The moves re-energize the adaptation for the studio, which first picked up the rights around 2008.

Dan Lin’s Lin Pictures is producing with Animal Logic’s Zareh Nalbandian with the goal of making a trilogy of animated feature films.

The comic told of three Bone cousins — Fone Bone, Phoney Bone and Smiley Bone, all small, bald and humanlike creatures with big noses — who are separated and lost in a vast uncharted desert after being run out of Boneville. One by one they find their way into a deep forested valley filled with wonderful and terrifying creatures.

The comics were published from 1991 to 2004 and then rediscovered by a new and more mainstream generation when Scholastic began releasing them in graphic novel form.

Bone is very special and unconventional because it blends elements together that you don’t necessarily expect — soft, little comic characters and epic high-stakes fantasy adventure," Osborne tells The Hollywood Reporter. "To carry this into the cinematic realm presents both an opportunity to represent what readers of all ages have loved about the series, while pushing animated storytelling into exciting and different areas."

P.J. Hogan (Muriel’s Wedding) was previously attached to direct while Patrick Sean Smith, who created the ABC Family show Greek, was writing the script.

'Kung Fu Panda' Director Mark Osborne to Helm Adaptation of Cult Comic 'Bone' (Exclusive)

Forest Whitaker Joins Johnny Depp in Tupac/Biggie Murder Movie LABYRINTH

Forest-Whiteaker-Labyrinth-Dragonlord.jpg

Forest Whitaker is in talks to join Johnny Depp in Labyrinth, the real-life drama that will follow the criminal investigation behind the murders of rap legends Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G.

Whitaker would play a journalist who teams with Depp's disgraced LAPD detective, who has been unable to solve the mysterious deaths of two of hip-hop's biggest stars.

Helmer Brad Furman (The Lincoln Lawyer) will direct from a Black List script by Christian Contreras, which he adapted from journalist Randall Sullivan’s book LAbyrinth: A Detective Investigates the Murders of Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G., the Implication of Death Row Records’ Suge Knight, and the Origins of the Los Angeles Police Scandal.

Whitaker is out now in theaters with sci-fi offering Arrival and will next be seen in the first Star Wars stand-alone pic, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. He also will star as Bishop Desmond Tutu in the biopic The Forgiven and is set for Marvel's Black Panther movie.

Forest Whitaker In Talks to Join Johnny Depp in Tupac/Biggie Murder Movie 'Labyrinth'

New ROGUE ONE 360 Video Puts You in the Pilot Seat of an X-Wing

Rogue One: Recon is a short immersive 360 experience created by ILMxLAB that is connected to “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.”

Shut Up and Take My Money: New Trailer for KONG: SKULL ISLAND

A trip back to the mysterious and dangerous home of the king of the apes, the new film will follow a team of explorers who venture deep inside the treacherous, primordial island to find the leader’s brother and a mythical serum, confronting extraordinary creatures along the way.

The film stars Tom Hiddleson Samuel L. Jackson, Brie Larson, Jing Tian, Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell, John Ortiz, Shea Whigham and Toby Kebbell. Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts, Kong: Skull Island is set to open on March 10, 2017.

Back