MNN (Trailer for Shark Thriller 47 Meters Down; Joe Johnston to Direct Narnia: The Silver Chair)

Terrence Malick's SONG TO SONG Panned as "Humiliating Wreck of a Movie" in Early Reviews

Song-to-Song-Ryan-Gosling-Michael-Fassbender-Dragonlord.png

For a director whose films have often been referred to as "inaccessible," Terrence Malick doesn't seem to have strayed too far from that perception with his latest movie, judging by the early reviews.

Song to Song, which had its world premiere as the opening-night film at the South by Southwest festival last week, is set amid the Austin, Texas, music scene and stars Rooney Mara, Ryan Gosling, Michael Fassbender and Natalie Portman. The film follows two intersecting love triangles between a music executive (Fassbender), his business partner (Gosling), a budding musician (Mara) and an ex-teacher (Portman). The movie is short on traditional dialogue and heavy on voiceovers and improvisation, which the cast said at the Friday night premiere created a unique challenge (the reclusive Malick was not in attendance).

Said Fassbender: "It's a lot of improvisation. You read the sides, they're very dense. For me, it's hard to learn lines quickly, so it’s about getting a feel or flavor of what is happening in the scene and then improvising it." Added Mara: "It was kind of hard to know how to prepare because everything was so vague."

Critics also are having a hard time wrapping their heads around the latest from Malick, who made his name with Badlands but then famously dropped out of view for 20 years after 1978's Days of Heaven, returning with the critically acclaimed The Thin Red Line. In a late-career rush, Malick has directed The Tree of Life, To the Wonder and Knight of Cups — all to mixed, at best, receptions.

Giving the movie a C-plus grade, IndieWire's Eric Kohn argues that the movie is redundant and overlong at 130 minutes.

ComingSoon.net's Joshua Starns writes that Malick is "stuck in a rut."

The Playlist's Rodrigo Perez gives the film a C grade, noting that as a filmmaker, Malick "has abandoned narrative cinema, for a fragmented, quasi-experimental form, that while once unique, has curdled into cliche, and even self-parody."

Marten Carlson, reviewing the movie for Consequence of Sound, described the movie as an "overbearing take on the music business" with "no emotional or philosophical through-line to carry the audience." Calling the movie "just a parade of music and film celebrities," Carlson adds that it "lacks the soul of Malick’s best work."

Robbie Collin of the U.K. paper The Telegraph notes that the love scenes don't quite work.

"Sex and Malick have never been an easy fit, but Song to Song plumbs new boreholes of cringe in that department, and its various bedroom encounters, shot in the usual extreme wide-angle by the director’s regular cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki, are gauzy and bloodless," Collin writes. "The film is to sex as a lepidopterist is to a butterfly cabinet — it gets right in there with the magnifying glass, but perish the thought that anything might flap."

Variety's Peter Debruge notes that Malick took a 20-year break between 1978's Days of Heaven and 1998's The Thin Red Line.

"It pains me to say it, but Malick might want to consider another lengthy hiatus," Debruge writes. "Rushed into production mere months after his nearly-self-parodic, Hollywood-set Knight of Cups, Song to Song finds the maestro in broken-record mode, rehashing more or less the same themes against the backdrop of the Austin music scene — merely the latest borderline-awful Malick movie that risks to undermine the genius and mystery of his best work."

Entertainment Weekly's Joe McGovern gives the movie an even worse D grade.

"In terms of content and meaningfulness, Terrence Malick’s Song to Song is the cinematic equivalent of a Trump press conference," he writes. "Incoherent, disconnected, self-interrupting, obsessed with pointless minutiae and crammed full of odd, limp stabs at profundity from a closed-off man in his 70s who apparently has no ability to edit or accept constructive criticism. Malick, too, still inspires a passionate minority of hardcore devotees who will defend everything he does, no matter how inept or ludicrous, out of some bizarre sense of base loyalty towards the man who made Days of Heaven 39 years ago. Even for those groupies, this new humiliating wreck of a movie — the reclusive director's worst ever — presents a test of will."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...umiliating-wreck-a-movie-early-reviews-985468

{<jordan}
<bball2> <DrakeLaugh> <{anton}>

giphy.gif

Terrence Malick's SONG TO SONG Panned as "Humiliating Wreck of a Movie" in Early Reviews

Song-to-Song-Ryan-Gosling-Michael-Fassbender-Dragonlord.png

For a director whose films have often been referred to as "inaccessible," Terrence Malick doesn't seem to have strayed too far from that perception with his latest movie, judging by the early reviews.

Song to Song, which had its world premiere as the opening-night film at the South by Southwest festival last week, is set amid the Austin, Texas, music scene and stars Rooney Mara, Ryan Gosling, Michael Fassbender and Natalie Portman. The film follows two intersecting love triangles between a music executive (Fassbender), his business partner (Gosling), a budding musician (Mara) and an ex-teacher (Portman). The movie is short on traditional dialogue and heavy on voiceovers and improvisation, which the cast said at the Friday night premiere created a unique challenge (the reclusive Malick was not in attendance).

Said Fassbender: "It's a lot of improvisation. You read the sides, they're very dense. For me, it's hard to learn lines quickly, so it’s about getting a feel or flavor of what is happening in the scene and then improvising it." Added Mara: "It was kind of hard to know how to prepare because everything was so vague."

Critics also are having a hard time wrapping their heads around the latest from Malick, who made his name with Badlands but then famously dropped out of view for 20 years after 1978's Days of Heaven, returning with the critically acclaimed The Thin Red Line. In a late-career rush, Malick has directed The Tree of Life, To the Wonder and Knight of Cups — all to mixed, at best, receptions.

Giving the movie a C-plus grade, IndieWire's Eric Kohn argues that the movie is redundant and overlong at 130 minutes.

ComingSoon.net's Joshua Starns writes that Malick is "stuck in a rut."

The Playlist's Rodrigo Perez gives the film a C grade, noting that as a filmmaker, Malick "has abandoned narrative cinema, for a fragmented, quasi-experimental form, that while once unique, has curdled into cliche, and even self-parody."

Marten Carlson, reviewing the movie for Consequence of Sound, described the movie as an "overbearing take on the music business" with "no emotional or philosophical through-line to carry the audience." Calling the movie "just a parade of music and film celebrities," Carlson adds that it "lacks the soul of Malick’s best work."

Robbie Collin of the U.K. paper The Telegraph notes that the love scenes don't quite work.

"Sex and Malick have never been an easy fit, but Song to Song plumbs new boreholes of cringe in that department, and its various bedroom encounters, shot in the usual extreme wide-angle by the director’s regular cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki, are gauzy and bloodless," Collin writes. "The film is to sex as a lepidopterist is to a butterfly cabinet — it gets right in there with the magnifying glass, but perish the thought that anything might flap."

Variety's Peter Debruge notes that Malick took a 20-year break between 1978's Days of Heaven and 1998's The Thin Red Line.

"It pains me to say it, but Malick might want to consider another lengthy hiatus," Debruge writes. "Rushed into production mere months after his nearly-self-parodic, Hollywood-set Knight of Cups, Song to Song finds the maestro in broken-record mode, rehashing more or less the same themes against the backdrop of the Austin music scene — merely the latest borderline-awful Malick movie that risks to undermine the genius and mystery of his best work."

Entertainment Weekly's Joe McGovern gives the movie an even worse D grade.

"In terms of content and meaningfulness, Terrence Malick’s Song to Song is the cinematic equivalent of a Trump press conference," he writes. "Incoherent, disconnected, self-interrupting, obsessed with pointless minutiae and crammed full of odd, limp stabs at profundity from a closed-off man in his 70s who apparently has no ability to edit or accept constructive criticism. Malick, too, still inspires a passionate minority of hardcore devotees who will defend everything he does, no matter how inept or ludicrous, out of some bizarre sense of base loyalty towards the man who made Days of Heaven 39 years ago. Even for those groupies, this new humiliating wreck of a movie — the reclusive director's worst ever — presents a test of will."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...umiliating-wreck-a-movie-early-reviews-985468

{<jordan} <bball2> <DrakeLaugh> <{anton}>
raw

Edward James Olmos Confirms His Return for BLADE RUNNER 2049

Edward-James-Olmos-Blade-Runner-2049-Dragonlord.jpg

Edward James Olmos, the actor who is today best known for playing William Adama on Battlestar Galactica and who has also appeared on Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, had a memorable role in the original Blade Runner veteran blade runner Eduardo Gaff, who meets with an observes Deckard.

Despite Olmos’ best attempts to keep things quiet, rumors have spread that Gaff will be back in Blade Runner 2049. During an interview on TheTRENDTalk, Olmos finally gave up and confirmed that he will be in Blade Runner 2049.

“This is the first time that I am telling everybody, and I’m telling the world right now, that yes, I am going to be Gaff in Blade Runner 2049,” Olmos said.

Olmos then offered a few more details about Gaff's role in the sequel.

“It's not about Gaff, but it's about someone who is going to try to find out certain things about us who were back then,” Olmos explained. “They come to me. I’m retired”

He also explained that he had to lie about the role otherwise dodge questions due to an extensive agreement.

“I signed a seven-page non-disclosure contract with those people. My agent did, my manager did, I did, everybody did. So I couldn’t talk about it. I couldn’t talk to anybody about it.”

Directed by Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Sicario), the film stars Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Jared Leto, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis, Carla Juri, Lennie James, and Dave Bautista. Blade Runner 2049 opens on October 6, 2017.

Blade Runner 2049: Edward James Olmos Confirms His Return as Gaff

Meet Gru's Twin Brother in New DESPICABLE ME 3 Trailer

Edward James Olmos Confirms His Return for BLADE RUNNER 2049

Edward-James-Olmos-Blade-Runner-2049-Dragonlord.jpg

Edward James Olmos, the actor who is today best known for playing William Adama on Battlestar Galactica and who has also appeared on Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, had a memorable role in the original Blade Runner veteran blade runner Eduardo Gaff, who meets with an observes Deckard.

Despite Olmos’ best attempts to keep things quiet, rumors have spread that Gaff will be back in Blade Runner 2049. During an interview on TheTRENDTalk, Olmos finally gave up and confirmed that he will be in Blade Runner 2049.

“This is the first time that I am telling everybody, and I’m telling the world right now, that yes, I am going to be Gaff in Blade Runner 2049,” Olmos said.

Olmos then offered a few more details about Gaff's role in the sequel.

“It's not about Gaff, but it's about someone who is going to try to find out certain things about us who were back then,” Olmos explained. “They come to me. I’m retired”

He also explained that he had to lie about the role otherwise dodge questions due to an extensive agreement.

“I signed a seven-page non-disclosure contract with those people. My agent did, my manager did, I did, everybody did. So I couldn’t talk about it. I couldn’t talk to anybody about it.”

Directed by Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Sicario), the film stars Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Jared Leto, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis, Carla Juri, Lennie James, and Dave Bautista. Blade Runner 2049 opens on October 6, 2017.

Blade Runner 2049: Edward James Olmos Confirms His Return as Gaff
I'm really looking forward to this...especially since the director is on such a roll! Seriously, this guy (DV) is outdoing Christopher Nolan at this point... :cool:

Benedict Cumberbatch to Play an Immortal in HOW TO STOP TIME

Benedict-Cumberbatch-031417-Dragonlord.png

Benedict Cumberbatch has lined up another film project. The actor's own SunnyMarch banner has teamed with StudioCanal to pick up the film rights to How to Stop Time, the forthcoming book from prolific adult and children's author Matt Haig

Cumberbatch will play Tom Hazard, a man who may look like an ordinary 41-year-old but, owing to an extremely rare condition, has been alive for centuries.

Haig wrote A Boy Called Christmas, The Last Family in England, and The Radleys.

StudioCanal, which took a stake in SunnyMarch last year, is also adapting Haig's book series A Boy Called Christmas for the big screen, while the writer is adapting The Radleys for Alfonso Cuaron and BBC Films and The Last Family in England for Taika Waititi and Plan B.

Benedict Cumberbatch Prepping 'How to Stop Time' With StudioCanal

Ben Affleck Reveals He Recently Completed Rehab for Alcohol Addiction

Ben-Affleck-Bar-031417-Dragonlord.png

Ben Affleck revealed, in a Facebook post on Tuesday, that he recently completed a stint in rehab for alcohol addiction.

“I have completed treatment for alcohol addiction; something I’ve dealt with in the past and will continue to confront,” he wrote on Facebook. Affleck checked himself into rehab in 2001 as well.

“I want to live life to the fullest and be the best father I can be. I want my kids to know there is no shame in getting help when you need it, and to be a source of strength for anyone out there who needs help but is afraid to take the first step,” he continued. “I’m lucky to have the love of my family and friends, including my co-parent, Jen, who has supported me and cared for our kids as I’ve done the work I set out to do. This was the first of many steps being taken towards a positive recovery.”

In the Facebook post, Affleck said he’s “lucky to have the love of … co-parent, Jen.” He and wife Jennifer Garner separated in 2015, but have not formally divorced yet. The two have three children together: two daughters and one son. Affleck recently exited as director of the Batman standalone film, but will still star in and produce the highly-anticipated superhero tentpole. Matt Reeves has since taken over directing duties.

Affleck’s last directorial effort, the gangster pic Live by Night, flopped, leaving Warner Bros. — the studio behind the period film — with a $75 million loss.

Syfy also recently canceled the sci-fi thriller Incorporated, which Affleck executive produced with longtime friend and business partner Matt Damon and Jennifer Todd.

Before he dons the cape and cowl in The Batman, the actor will next play the Dark Knight in Justice League, which hits theaters on Nov. 17.

Ben Affleck Says He Recently Completed Rehab Stint for Alcohol Addiction

Red-Band Trailer for Sci-Fi Horror Thriller LIFE Spoils a Lot

An international space crew discovers life on Mars. Life stars Ryan Reynolds, Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson, and opens on March 24.

First Trailer for Fantasy Adventure WARRIOR'S GATE Starring Dave Bautista

A teenager is magically transported to China and learns to convert his video game skills into those of a Kung Fu warrior. Warrior's Gate stars Mark Chao, Ni Ni, Sienna Guillory, Ming Xi and Dave Bautista.

3rd Trailer for Sony's All-Animated SMURFS: THE LOST VILLAGE

In this fully animated, all-new take on the Smurfs, a mysterious map sets Smurfette and her friends Brainy, Clumsy and Hefty on an exciting race through the Forbidden Forest leading to the discovery of the biggest secret in Smurf history. Joe Manganiello, Mandy Patinkin, Rainn Wilson star. Opens April 7.

THE MATRIX Reboot in the Works at Warner Bros., Michael B. Jordan Eyed to Star

The-Matrix-Cast-031417-Dragonlord.png

It’s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources tell THR that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a relaunch of The Matrix, the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. Warners had no comment.

Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new movie. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. The studio is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer.

While some in Warners consider the title among the studio’s sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come by.

The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in recent months. But Warners see a model in what Disney and Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie could come out of the exploration, as an example.

Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network’s super-powered show Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the X-Men franchise to The Avengers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matrix-reboot-works-at-warner-bros-986292

Two Original Cast Members to Cameo in POWER RANGERS; Mid-Credits Scene Confirmed

Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-031317b-Dragonlord.png

With the press tour currently underway, Lionsgate Entertainment has released the production notes for its eagerly awaited Power Rangers reboot and have inadvertently revealed the cameos of two original Mighty Morphin cast members.

Those cast members being, of course, Jason David Frank and Amy Jo Johnson, who played the original Green and Pink Rangers, respectively. No further details on their roles were given as they are only listed as Cameo Role #1 and Cameo Role #2, which seemingly suggests that they'll be making blink-and-you'll-miss-it type appearances and unsurprisingly, not reprising their classic roles.

It's uncertain why the studio opted not to invite back the full original cast, which also includes Austin St. John, Walter Jones, and David Yost, but Frank's apparent reluctance to share the spotlight with some of his former male castmates over the past few years may have played a factor. Regardless, this is still a cool gesture from Lionsgate and a nod fans of the original series will certainly enjoy come March 24.

On another note, in a recent interview with Collider, director Dean Israelite confirmed that there is indeed a post-credits sequence: "There was always going to be a post-credit thing. The only question was whether it comes 2.5 minutes into the credits, or right at the end. We decided to break (the credits) up and go 2.5 minutes in. It felt correct.”

Two Original Cast Members Confirmed To Cameo in Power Rangers Movie; Mid-Credits Scene Also Confirmed

Netflix to Complete Orson Welles' Final Film THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND

Netflix-Orson-Welles-Dragonlord.jpg

The Other Side of the Wind, the incomplete final film from Orson Welles, will finally be seen by movie fans in a completed version, thanks to Netflix.

The streamer announced Tuesday that it has secured global rights and will finance the completion and restoration of the Citizen Kane director's final production, which has remained unfinished for several decades.

Producer Frank Marshall, who served as the production manager during the film's original shoot (which began in 1970 and continued sporadically through 1976), will oversee the restoration and completion. Peter Bogdanovich — who was a part of the original cast, along with John Huston, Oja Kodar, Lilli Palmer and Dennis Hopper — will serve as a consultant on the project, originally directed by Welles and co-written by Welles and Oja Kodar.

Marshall and Bogdanovich will use handwritten notes from Welles and their own memory of the production to finishing the postproduction process.

The Other Side of the Wind is considered to be Welles' semi-autobiographical satire of Hollywood, and follows a legendary film director (played by Huston) who is attempting to stage a Hollywood comeback by appealing to a younger audience by making a stylish art film, which turns into a disaster.

Netflix is working directly with filmmaker Filip Jan Rymsza, founder of Royal Road Entertainment, who began the process of restoring and completing Other Side of the Wind by raising $400,000 by crowdfunding through an Indiegogo campaign begun in 2015 for a projected $1 million. Perks that were offered ranged from Orson Welles-emblazoned t-shirts to tickets to the premiere of the film in Los Angeles, New York and Paris.

After several months without update from Rymsza and his team, backers took to social media and the comments section of the campaign to voice their displeasure and inquire about getting their money back.

After Netflix's announcement Tuesday, Rymsza posted an update on the page for the first time in 11 months, offering his "sincere apologies for the long silence," saying that once he entered into talks with Netflix he could not comment on the state of the project. He added that the perks will be distributed in the coming week, and that there will still be production of a limited-edition DVD/Blu-ray, saying that it was a "rare move" for Netflix to allow such a thing.

Netflix to Complete Orson Welles' Final Film 'The Other Side of the Wind'

THE FLY Remake in the Works from SLEIGHT Director J.D. Dillard

For his next trick, filmmaker J.D. Dillard will fuse a man with a fly. Dillard, who is generating heat with his upcoming magic-centric low-budget thriller Sleight, is making the jump to studio movies with Fox’s remake of The Fly.

Dillard is in talks to direct and co-pen the project with writing partner Alex Theurer, The Hollywood Reporterhas confirmed.

The movie is a remake of the 1958 sci-fi horror classic about a scientist whose teleportation experiment goes awry and he is fused with a fly. Kurt Neuman directed the original creature feature, which launched a series of low-budget sequels.

The Fly was remade in 1986 with a version directed and co-written by master horror filmmaker David Cronenberg.

Sleight, which has been described as being like Chronicle in tone, tells of a street magician (Jacob Latimore) with a dash of superpowers. He is forced to team up with drug dealers just to make ends meet, but when his sister’s life falls in danger, he must find a way to save her. The Blumhouse movie is set to open April 28.

'The Fly' Remake Catches 'Sleight' Director J.D. Dillard

Another unnecessary and more than likely underwhelming remake.

Last edited:
Remake the second and third matrix that makes sense.

This new movie looks like they're copying Very Bad Things, in the style of The Hangover, with women.

The thing is, guys being douchebags is funny because guys are douchebags.

Women being douchebags isn't funny.

Scarlet Johansson with mom hair isn't an asset to the appeal of this movie.

While I think she looks great with the mom hair, you're probably right. She looks to be the 'structured' friend who is prim and proper, though.

First Teaser Trailer for Guillermo del Toro's THE BOOK OF LIFE Pixar's COCO

Coco just reminds me of Guillermo del Toro's 2014 animated movie The Book of Life where it also involves a guitar player and the Land of the Dead. Eh. Anyway, this is Pixar, so probably a minimum of 7 star rating for Coco.

Alcon Hires Disney Animation and Pixar Vets for Fantasy Adventure DARKMOUTH

Darkmouth-Movie-031417-Dragonlord.jpg

Alcon has hired a pair of Disney Animation and Pixar veterans for its first animation venture, the fantasy adventure titled Darkmouth.

David Pimental, who most recently acted as head of story for Disney’s Moana, and Douglas Sweetland, who has worked on Monsters Inc, The Incredibles and Toy Story, among others, are attached to direct the project, which is based on the children’s book series by Irish author Shane Hegarty.

The project is described as a comedic animated fantasy centering on an overeager kid who bites off more than he can chew when he prematurely jumps into the family business: hunting monsters.

Penning the screenplay will be Lloyd Taylor, who hails from the Disney Writers Program where he worked on Race to Witch Mountain and Enchanted, and recently worked on Fox Animation’s Pigeon Impossible.

Alcon Entertainment Plans Fantasy Adventure 'Darkmouth' With Pixar and DreamWorks Animation Veterans

First Teaser Trailer for Guillermo del Toro's THE BOOK OF LIFE Pixar's COCO

Coco just reminds me of Guillermo del Toro's 2014 animated movie The Book of Life where it also involves a guitar player and the Land of the Dead. Eh. Anyway, this is Pixar, so probably a minimum of 7 star rating for Coco.

Pixar wants a piece of that animated musical burrito.

Back