Locked MNN (I Kill Giants Trailer; Nominations for 2018 Oscars and Razzie Awards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natalie Portman Investigates an Alligator in the First Official Image from ANNIHILATION

annihilation.jpg

In the science fiction film Annihilation, Natalie Portman plays a scientist named Lena, who is part of an expedition tasked with exploring an area which has been taken over by a mysterious force. “[She] finds a very strange, dream-like, surrealist landscape, and goes deeper and deeper into that world, and also into that mindset,” says writer-director Alex Garland (Ex Machina). Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tuva Novotny, Gina Rodriguez, and Tessa Thompson costar as her fellow team members, while Oscar Isaac plays Portman’s husband.

One other character of note featured in the film? An alligator, as is revealed in EW’s exclusive first look photo, above. “It is their first tangible encounter with something strange,” says Garland. “The alligator has physical elements to it that should not belong on an alligator. They’re starting to get their heads around how weird the place is.”

Annihilation is based on JeffVanderMeer’s 2014 novel, the first book in the Southern Reach trilogy, which the author continued with Authority and then wrapped up with Acceptance. “I was in post-production on Ex Machina, and one of the producers of that film, Scott Rudin, called up and said, ‘I just acquired this book, I think it’s interesting and, would you take a look,'” says Garland, whose screenwriting credits also include Dredd and 28 Days Later. “I don’t finish books, or films, or anything, really, if it isn’t grabbing me for one reason. Well, I read it in a sitting. I found the atmosphere incredibly strong and I liked the kind of dream state that it created and put me in. It had all sorts of qualities that I found really interesting. I thought immediately, Yes, I’d like to try this.”

Isaac recently promised EW that Annihilation would be “very weird and very beautiful.” “That’s what we were shooting for,” says Garland. “The beauty part of it was quite important. Even when it’s grim, and something dark is happening, there’s quite an overt beauty, and we took pains to make sure that happened.”

Although the original book is part of a trilogy, Garland says he regards his film as a standalone movie. “I did once work on a film called Dredd, which I imagined to be the first part of a trilogy,” says Garland. “But it’s not something I like doing. I’d rather work on a story that I felt was self-contained rather than one that sort of had a ‘dot-dot-dot’ at the end. I think that provokes a sort of instant, understandable, cynicism. We sense the money grab and I feel that pollutes the story. So, right from the get-go, I did not think of this as being part of a trilogy; I thought of it as being just a single, self-contained movie. If other people wanted to do that, that would be fine. That’s none of my business. But from my point of view, it’s just one.”

Annihilation — a Paramount Pictures and Skydance presentation — is in theaters Feb. 23, 2018.

Natalie Portman dives into the mouth of an alligator in Annihilation first look

15-Minute BLADE RUNNER 2049 Short Film from COWBOY Bebop Director

The third and final short prequel to the film Blade Runner 2049.

First Look at the Next Generation Cast for James Cameron's AVATAR 2

Ready to get your first look at the cast of Avatar 2? The first of four sequels to James Cameron’s game-changing blockbuster won’t hit theaters until 2020. But EW has the exclusive intel on the troupe of young actors who will join stars Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana on Pandora.

The forest-dwelling offspring of Avatar‘s human–turned–Na’vi hero (Sam Worthington) and his fiery love interest, Neytiri (Zoe Saldana), will play a crucial role in the long-long-long-awaited follow-ups to the 2009 blockbuster, the first of which began filming on Sept. 25 (and are officially called The Avatar Sequels, by the way).

The young actors playing Sully’s family are revealed here for the first time, along with the children from another Na’vi clan, called the Metkayina, who dwell on giant oceanic atoll reefs under the rule of a leader named Tonowari (Cliff Curtis of Fear the Walking Dead).

Of course, in the above photo, you’ll have to use your imagination a bit to picture the cast in CG character as lanky blue cat-eyed Na’vi. That is, with one exception — Javier “Spider” Socorro (played by 12-year-old Jack Champion, who is seated in the above photo with dark hair). Spider is a human teenager born at the Hell’s Gate military complex, a crucial location in the first film.

According to executive producer Jon Landau, the kids of Avatar 2 represent the biggest focus shift from the original movie. “We never had this youthful element before, and that brings a different kind of energy to the film,” he says. “They represent the future generation of Pandora and play a very significant role — not just in this movie but throughout all the movies.”

Director James Cameron has famously spent years working on the scripts for the four Avatar sequels. The first is scheduled to hit theaters on Dec. 18, 2020. That hiatus is nearly as long as the 12 years between Cameron’s Titanic and Avatar — and the filmmaker proved skeptics wrong once Avatar passed Titanic as the highest-grossing film of all time. Landau remarks that Avatar 2 will silence any doubters who dismissed the first title as a one-time 3-D sensation.

“Nobody is watching Avatar [on home video] or waiting in four-hour lines at Disney’s World of Avatar or going to the sold-out Cirque du Soleil shows because of the film’s 3-D,” he points out. “People respond because of the movie’s characters, themes, and emotions—and we have all that again. When the cast read what Jim Cameron wrote, it hit them with even greater resonance than the first movie.”

Avatar 2: First look at sequel's next generation cast and exclusive new details

First Trailer for Alex Garland's ANNIHILATION Starring Natalie Portman

Based on Jeff VanderMeer’s best-selling Southern Reach Trilogy, Annihilation stars Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson, Tuva Novotny and Oscar Isaac. It was written and directed by Alex Garland (Ex Machina, 28 Days Later). In theaters February 23, 2018.

Michelle Williams to Join Tom Hardy in Sony's VENOM Movie

ub3foQ3.jpg

Michelle Williams is in talks to star opposite Tom Hardy in Sony’s Venom movie. Riz Ahmed is also on board with Ruben Fleischer directing.

Sources say Williams would play a district attorney and possibly Hardy’s love interest.

Sony execs and Fleischer had been meeting with multiple actresses for the part for the past month, with production beginning next month. Sony recently released the trailer for Ridley Scott’s All the Money in the World, which is already generation Oscar buzz for Williams.

The studio has already made it clear that Venom will play no part in the Spider-Man universe, and that the film will stand on its own.

Scott Rosenberg (Jumanji) and Jeff Pinkner (The Dark Tower) will write the script for Venom, with Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach producing the movie, along with Amy Pascal.

Venom is set to hit theaters on Oct. 5, 2018.

In recent years, Williams has focused more on prestige pics. Her last big studio film was Disney’s Wizard of Oz prequel, Oz the Great and Powerful, in 2013. The Academy Award-nominated actress is coming off one of the best-reviewed performances of her career, in Manchester by the Sea, which earned her an Oscar nomination for best supporting actress.

Her upcoming films include Todd Haynes’ Wonderstruck, Fox’s musical The Greatest Showman on Earth, and Scott’s All the Money in the World, all of which could figure in the awards season conversation.

She is still attached to star in the Janis Joplin biopic Janis as well as spy drama All the Old Knives opposite Chris Pine.

Michelle Williams to Star in ‘Venom’ Opposite Tom Hardy

New TERMINATOR Movie Will Ignore Everything After T2; Release Date Set for July 2019

mXOlZAU.jpg

Skydance's David Ellison, along with distributor Paramount (Fox has international rights), has persuaded James Cameron to shepherd a new Terminator for the era of Amazon drones, Facebook news bots and artificial intelligence-fueled anxiety.

Calling it "a return to form that I believe fans of the franchise have been wanting since Terminator 2: Judgment Day," Ellison, 34, has for the past year worked secretly with Cameron and Deadpool's Tim Miller, who will direct the untitled sequel for a July 26, 2019, release.

They assembled a writers room with scribes David Goyer, Charles Eglee, Josh Friedman and Justin Rhodes as well as Ellison, a lifelong Terminator fan (Cameron himself shows up once a week), and have crafted what they want to be a trilogy with Schwarzenegger, 70, and original star Linda Hamilton, 61, passing the torch to a young female lead.

The team hopes it's launching the equivalent of the new Star Wars trilogy — but with the most successful filmmaker of all time pulling the strings. To unveil their plans and explain why the Terminator franchise is still relevant amid 21st century fears, Cameron, 63, and Miller, 47, joined The Hollywood Reporter's editorial director Matthew Belloni for a discussion Sept. 19 on the Paramount lot in Hollywood.

"This is a continuation of the story from Terminator 1 and Terminator 2," Cameron said. "And we're pretending the other films were a bad dream. Or an alternate timeline, which is permissible in our multi-verse. This was really driven more by [Tim] than anybody, surprisingly, because I came in pretty agnostic about where we took it. The only thing I insisted on was that we somehow revamp it and reinvent it for the 21st century."

"It took me a week just to get up the nerve," Cameron said on asking Linda Hamilton to come back. "No, that's not true. Linda and I have a great relationship. We've stayed friends through the thick and thin of it all. And she is the mother of my eldest daughter. [They were married from 1997 to 1999.] So I called her up, and I said: 'Look, we could rest on our laurels. It's ours to lose, in a sense. We created this thing several decades ago. But, here's what can be really cool. You can come back and show everybody how it's done.' Because in my mind, it hasn't been done a whole lot since the way she did it back in '91. There are certainly plenty of 50-, 60-, 70-something guys out there that just keep cranking along doing action movies and killing bad guys left and right. But there isn't an example of that for women, and I think there should be."

"A lot of this is handing off the baton to a new generation of characters," Cameron on introducing new stars for the upcoming Terminator movie. "We're starting a search for an 18-something young woman to essentially be the new centerpiece of these stories. And then a number of other characters around her and characters from the future. We still fold time in the story in intriguing ways. But we have Arnold's character and Linda's character to anchor it. Somewhere across there, and I won't say where, the baton gets passed, so to speak."

James Cameron Sounds the Alarm on Artificial Intelligence and Unveils a 'Terminator' for the 21st Century

J.J. Abrams to Adapt Japanese Hit Sci-Fi Love Story YOUR NAME

aimP54D.jpg

Paramount and J.J. Abrams are teaming to adapt Your Name, an anime film that is one of the biggest hits of all time in Japan.

Eric Heisserer, who was nominated for an Oscar for penning the script to the Denis Villeneuve-directed sci-fi drama Arrival, is on board to write the screenplay for the adaptation, which will be live-action.

Abrams will produce via his Bad Robot Productions along with the banner’s Lindsey Weber. Also producing is Genki Kawamura, the producer of the original 2016 film.

Your Name, a sci-fi infused love story, centered on a teenage boy and girl from different parts of Japan who discover they can swap bodies. They also discover they are separated by time as well as by space, and when an impending space disaster threatens one of their towns, they must find a way to meet and stop it from happening.

Makoto Shinkai wrote and directed the original pic, which became the fourth-highest grossing film of all time in Japan and the highest-grossing anime film at the worldwide box office, earning $355 million. It was also nominated for best animated movie of the year at the 40th Japan Academy Prize.

"Your Name is a film created with the innate imaginations of a Japanese team and put together in a domestic medium,” Shinkai said Wednesday in a statement. “When such a work is imbued with Hollywood filmmaking, we may see new possibilities that we had been completely unaware of. I am looking forward to the live-action film with excited anticipation.”

Paramount and Bad Robot will work with Toho Co., which produced the original, on the development of the new project. Toho will handle distribution of the film in Japan.

J.J. Abrams and Paramount Team for Sci-Fi Love Story 'Your Name'

BLADE RUNNER 2049's Denis Villeneuve in Talks to Direct Sony's CLEOPATRA

JXpx7wO.jpg

The first social media reviews around the world on Blade Runner 2049 are calling the film a sci-fi masterpiece. Now, its director Denis Villeneuve is in discussions for one of Sony Pictures’ highest profile pictures.

Deadline hears that Villeneuve will re-develop to direct Cleopatra, the epic female empowerment story of one of history’s most complex heroines. Based on the bestselling Stacy Schiff biography that is being produced by Scott Rudin and Amy Pascal,

Cleopatra has seen the biggest filmmaker names circle this one including James Cameron, Paul Greengrass and David Fincher. Now, it’s Villeneuve who has sparked to the challenge and in a week he might be the hottest guy out there.

That filmmaker has quickly catapulted to the top of the A-list after directing Prisoners, Sicario and Arrival and then taking the Blade Runner baton from Ridley Scott. He has also been one of the three director names on the short list to direct the next James Bond film.

Villenueve is also developing a new version of Frank Herbert’s sci-fi classic Dune for Legendary Entertainment. The expectation is 007 isn’t in the cards, and that he can work on Cleopatra while directing Dune.

Sony has a script that David Scarpa, Eric Roth and Brian Helgeland have all worked on. Angelina Jolie has long been eyed to play the Egyptian queen, but it is unclear whether that still will happen.

‘Blade Runner 2049’s Denis Villeneuve In Talks For Sony’s Epic ‘Cleopatra’ Film

Jonathan Levine to Direct COMING TO AMERICA Sequel with Kenya Barris to Rewrite Script

OsjMYfq.jpg

Jonathan Levine, the director of Warm Bodies and 50/50, and Black-ish creator Kenya Barris are teaming for Coming to America 2.

Levine has been tapped to direct a follow-up to the 1988 Eddie Murphy comedy,with Barris on board to rewrite the script.

The sequel has long percolated at Paramount, but it was only this spring that the studio made it official, with Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield, who penned the 1988 original, hired to write the follow-up.

Although there is no deal in place, Murphy is involved with the development of the sequel — which will be produced by Kevin Misher — and is expected to star.

Levine won raves for directing the coming-of-age indie The Wackness as well as the Joseph Gordon-Levitt/Seth Rogen cancer comedy 50/50. His other recent credits include The Night Before, which reunited him with Gordon-Levitt and Rogen (Anthony Mackie also starred), and the pilot for the Jim Carrey-executive produced Showtime series I’m Dying Up Here.

Barris’ Black-ish has received numerous Emmy nominations for its deft handling of comedy and race in America. He also co-wrote Girls Trip, the surprise hit comedy that took in over $114 million at the domestic box office on only a $19 million budget. Barris also worked on the script for New Line Cinema’s Son of Shaft, which is set to star Jessie T. Usher and Samuel L. Jackson.

Kenya Barris, Jonathan Levine Tackling 'Coming to America' Sequel (Exclusive)

Official Trailer for THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER

From writer/director Yorgos Lanthimos and starring Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman, Barry Keoghan, and Alicia Silverstone. The Killing of a Sacred Deer – In Theaters October 20.

Official Trailer for GOTTI Starring John Travolta as the Infamous Mob Boss

Gotti follows infamous crime boss John Gotti’s (John Travolta) rise to become the “Teflon Don” of the Gambino Crime Family in New York City. Spanning three decades and recounted by his son John Jr. (Spencer Lofranco), Gotti examines Gotti’s tumultuous life as he and his wife (Kelly Preston) attempt to hold the family together amongst tragedy and multiple prison sentences. Directed by Kevin Connolly and written by Leo Rossi and Lem Dobbs, Gotti hits theaters and on demand on December 15, 2017.

did you ever post trailer for 'Thank You For Your Service?' Film looks good.

You forgot the actual helpful remark after your joke.

Grumpy-Cat-Not-Amused.jpg
Sorry man, I'd help if I could, but I haven't seen it. Seems to get good reviews, but that sort of slice-of-life stuff isn't something I enjoy to begin with.

And it actually wasn't a joke: I read a metric shit-ton of manga every year but haven't watched a new anime in...maybe ten years now? I think the last new thing I watched was Death Note and that aired in the US in 2007.

Red-Band Trailer for FATHER FIGURES Starring Owen Wilson, Ed Helms

John Boyega and Scott Eastwood Pose with Gypsy Avenger in PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING Posters

ww0Zwbm.jpg

7rwSs3Y.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back