Mma's Buster Douglas

MikeyB

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Holly Holm or Chris Weidman?

Both hold major upsets of monster champs. Both lost their titles and haven't done much since.

Thoughts? Any other nominees?

Holly for sure. Weidman accomplished more after he beat Anderson and was given a much better chance going in than Holm was. Also, the Ronda hype more closely parallels that of Tyson than Anderson, who was a veteran.

Matt Serra
65567322.jpg

Insofar as you can even compare WMMA with men's boxing, Holm and Douglas aren't similar. Douglas was really talented with no discipline (hence his spotty record). Holm is marginally talented (you can talk about her boxing record fighting out of New Mexico and being trained her whole life as a boxer by Winklejohn, but it won't ring true) but is really disciplined. More than that, Tyson and Rousey don't really have much in common. There is no MMA Buster Douglas at this point in time. Trying to say otherwise is forcing a comparison.

Lol Weidman had 3 title defenses, the second most in the history of the belt. When he fought Silva a lot of people believed he would win and the odds reflected that. Dumb thread.

Holly.. Weidman went on to win 3 more times after beating Anderson on that fateful night and I kinda did think Weidman was going to win just for some reason back then

Holly legit surprised me but then lost her belt the next fight

Matt Serra had a close loss to BJ Penn, beat GSP, controversial loss to Matt Hughes.

This is no luck case.

Serra submitted then an undefeated Gomi (in mma), at ADCC... en route to winning silver. Would have won gold if he didn't voluntary take the dive so that a senior gracie student could win gold.

Matt Serra gets way too little respect around here. Dude's a legit badass, all while being undersized for 170 pounds.

Matt Serra was no 1 shot wonder, he had to earn that title shot of his through TUF and he made the most of it. Nothing was freely handed to him, like say- Holly Holm who is always 1 win away from a title shot, or they make a new division and give her the title shot when Queen of the division Cyborg was still recovering from her previous fight, so that Holly could win the belt from a can... still lost.

Yea, Holly Holm is the most overrated fighter in MMA history.

Cant be Serra since at that time No Rush was not seen as a dominant force.

Insofar as you can even compare WMMA with men's boxing, Holm and Douglas aren't similar. Douglas was really talented with no discipline (hence his spotty record). Holm is marginally talented (you can talk about her boxing record fighting out of New Mexico and being trained her whole life as a boxer by Winklejohn, but it won't ring true) but is really disciplined. More than that, Tyson and Rousey don't really have much in common. There is no MMA Buster Douglas at this point in time. Trying to say otherwise is forcing a comparison.

Sokoudjou

They even look exactly alike

Holly Holm or Chris Weidman?

Both hold major upsets of monster champs. Both lost their titles and haven't done much since.

Thoughts? Any other nominees?

Weidman wasn't a major upset over Silva as he was a pretty minor dog in both betting lines and pickers.I know I picked Weidman in both fights.I remember the Buster Douglas upset,nothing in mma feels like that.Maybe Matt Serra.

Back