MMA will never have A-Level athletes

Brock wasn't great at football because he wasn't a football player, competing with guys who had played thir whole lives. Not because he wasn't as athletic as they were. Let's compare Brock, who nearly walked into the NFL after a year or so of solo training, and JJ Watt, who entered the NFL fresh out of D1 football, and is considered among the most athletic in the NFL...

Brock:
Weight - 283lbs
40 yd - 4.65
Broad Jump - 10ft
Vert - 35"
235 Bench - 30 reps

Watt:
Weight - 290lbs
40 yd - 4.84
Broad Jump - 10ft
Vert - 37"
235 Bench - 34 reps

So apparently, one of the best defensive players of this era, is about as athletic as an NFL reject, who took up the sport on a whim, in all of the areas generally recognized as measures of athleticism by the NFL.
Yeah, I said maybe he could get to that point. I basically acknowledge the lifetime football players vs. not for Brock. Agility, hand speed, Endurance aren't in those stats, but he could be the tits at those too.

Wrestlers are better athletes than boxers. The end.

A-level athlete is an athlete who can excel in any sport. It is only a matter of choosing at a young age. A-level athletes tend to choose sports that will pay the most in the long run.

D-level athlete is an athlete who isn't good enough to compete in A-level paying sports so they choose lower paying sports where they can excel. A good example of a D-level athlete is Stipe Miocic.

Stipe-story.jpg

He failed to make into major league Baseball, so he turned to MMA and became HW champion.

He wasn't picked up by a major league team, true. But it's possible that could have been a failure of insight on the part of scouts. He has a gift for being underestimated...

If you think that's a ridiculous idea, think of the case of Mike Piazza. The only reason he got drafted (way, way, WAY down, in the 62nd round) was because his father was a childhood friend of Tommy Lasorda of the Dodgers and begged it as a personal favor. Piazza ended up in the Hall of Fame.

Ts is a racist

Only thinks black people can be a level and athletes.

Why your boy Floyd mayweatger running from. GGG?

Pussy only fights under his circumstances. after ggg beats Canelo again Floyd’s old ass better come out of retirement.

This! Just because someone is in the NFL, doesn't make them an a level athlete. Tom Brady A Level? My cousin is Milo Lewis, had a short stint in the league, far from A level athlete and he played corner.. ran a 4.6 (slow for a corner), has two left feet (no coordination), etc etc.. and was a NCAA all American and was projected to go high in the draft until Michigan and Brady made him look foolish in the Orange bowl. Lenny Walls, my brother in laws best friend.. played in the nfl, 6ft 4in and can't dunk a basketball! Far from an A Level athlete.

Tom Brady is one of the biggest stars in the history of the NFL. If being one of the best players in one of the top sporting leagues in the world doesn't make you an A-level athlete, then the term is meaningless.

Just about every NFL team would have happily signed Tom Brady when he was younger. That's pretty much the definition of an A-level athlete: someone who's one of the all time best in one of the most important positions in his sport.

I really don't understand what half of Sherdog means by A-level athlete; coaches (in any sport) will tell you an A-level athlete is someone who wins when it counts, and the more they win the more A-level they are. Its the only criteria for an athlete that means anything.

Sherdog gonna Sherdog
We got our A level Athlete and he got embarrassed by a Can

Greg Hardy? Herschel Walker? Brock Lesnar? Jon Jones?

Hardy and Walker were NFL athletes, Lesnar is a specimen and was also in the NFL, both of JBJ's brothers were in the NFL, so he has the genes. What else do you want from an "A Level" athlete?

Athleticism doesn't mean much if you don't have a strong fighting spirit.

Well 3 out of 4 ain't bad, one of them is just freakishly tall.
If LeBron had been 6 inches shorter you'd have never heard of him but the other 3 could have made it.

Lebron is a fantastic athlete!

To be A level athlete you need roid to the gills. Since UFC introduced usada there's only 1 A-level athlete.
<JonesLaugh>

Hahaha I know this is a troll but I can’t help myself .
It’s apples to oranges .
A-level only comes into play when all things are equal. . Being able to fight is about heart, grit , determination and skill .
If you are A-level then that’s a plus but guarantees nothing .
Useless debate.

Marcus Jones was A-level, but old when he got there. The other guys in the football conversation were D-level for football. Brock probably was more B-level and experience hurt him. Don't know who Morton was.

Brock as A level as they come.

He was almost 30 years old and had conparible combine numbers to JJ Watt.

Brock had a fast 40 time than the average NFL linebacker despite being a defensive end.

283lbs man running a 4.7 40 is mind boggling

In the lower weight classes of mma are some of the best athletes in the world. In the upper weight classes there are other professional sports competing for those athletes and it is all about money.

You guys don't even know what you're talking about when you say "A-level athlete".

Until you idiots can come up with consistent definitions of A-level, B-level, C-level, etc., could you please just shut the fuck up?

The one objective standard I've heard for levels of athleticism for professional athletes is to base it on how much money they make (the idea being that the more competitive the sport, the better the pay, the better the athlete).

A level is anyone making $10+ million a year.
B level is more than $1 million and less than $10 million.
C level is more than $100K, and less than $1 million
D level is more than $10K and less than $100 K.

The fun thing about this standard is the best athlete in history is Tiger Woods, and quite a few golfers are A level. Given how many top NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB players spend a lot of time and effort on the golf course but never get good suggests that golf might be one of the hardest sports to play well -- it requires a huge element of co-ordination, one of the prime elements of athleticism.

Me, I think athleticism is sport specific. Its why Michael Jordan was arguably the best NBA player of all time, but a .177 hitter in minor league baseball. Athleticism in basketball is different than athleticism in baseball.

Athleticism in MMA involves the ability to take a punch, which is irrelevant in a lot of sports. Crossover athleticism is extremely rare -- so rare that only a few athletes are top level in more than one sport.

Marcus Jones was A-level, but old when he got there. The other guys in the football conversation were D-level for football. Brock probably was more B-level and experience hurt him. Don't know who Morton was.
You don't know much about football, do you?

Back