MMA vs. Tai Chi (Recent as of May 2017)

Here's hoping a new Ip Man can rise to the occasion, beat the MMA guy and collect the reward promised for doing so.

Dibs on movie rights. Working title: "Crouching MMA Guy, Hidden Face Kick".

Damn that was brutal. The art of fighting has an especially long way to go in China.

Damn that was brutal. The art of fighting has an especially long way to go in China.

A friend of mine just spent a few months teaching BJJ in China. A white dude going to China to teach them martial arts. Nobody would have expected that 30-40 years ago. Expect a Tom Cruise movie about it soon.

Damn, that was some Dan Mirgligurgglelatta late-stoppage. Dude obviously didn't want anything to do with that fight anymore.

Damn, that was some Dan Mirgligurgglelatta late-stoppage. Dude obviously didn't want anything to do with that fight anymore.

I'm pretty sure no one except the MMA guy had any idea what was happening.

Don't care for the vid, only here for the comments

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Calm down people, a guy who never spars of fights isn't going to have a clue no matter how many strips he has on his sash...The Japanese use the belt system Chinese use the sashes.

Tai Chi is a conditioning system that can be applied to full contact it's not a sport combat system on its own.

I've used Tai Chi to supplement my TKD/KB and Judo for years and credit the basic conditioning for allowing me to train as I did in my teens and twenties into my early 40's. I would never try to use it as a sport fighting system alone, apples and oranges.

Up your IQ just a tiny weenie bit and discover that Tai Chi has already infiltrated your highest MMA ranks, LOL!

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Calm down people, a guy who never spars of fights isn't going to have a clue no matter how many strips he has on his sash...The Japanese use the belt system Chinese use the sashes.

Tai Chi is a conditioning system that can be applied to full contact it's not a sport combat system on its own.

I've used Tai Chi to supplement my TKD/KB and Judo for years and credit the basic conditioning for allowing me to train as I did in my teens and twenties into my early 40's. I would never try to use it as a sport fighting system alone, apples and oranges.

Up your IQ just a tiny weenie bit and discover that Tai Chi has already infiltrated your highest MMA ranks, LOL!

Is that guy still fighting?

Is that guy still fighting?
He's sharp, LOL!

Look at the precision in those combo's.

I followed him some years ago so I'm not sure of his present status. The last fights I saw he lost to decision in my opinion because he wasn't aggressive enough. I know he stepped away after but is back in some capacity.

The point is that given the right training environment TC's attention to body mechanics and power projection can be blended well with combat sports. Not like that idiot in the video who thinks his fucking "chi" is going to miraculously overwhelm his opponent. In staid of training Yoga that has no martial focus, TC has it's roots in military and martial origins.

An older instructor introduced me to TC when I was rehabing from a training surgery on re attaching my distal bicep tendon so I wouldn't go fucking bat shit crazy not being active. I've used it ever since to keep up my physicality after comps or seminars where I don't want to get on the mat for a week but still want to train.

As I said it's not a fighting system on it's own but a physical exercise routine to recoup from injuries, keep relaxed and flexible.

I think it was some Chinese general who noticed the regiments from a certain area acclimated to the military training much quicker and effectively and figured out they were learning TC in their villages. He ordered the teaching of the system into his BT and found it worked well with the combat training.

I spent years doing Tai Chi, I'm actually a certified instructor in the William CC Chen lineage though I've been out of it too long to feel comfortable teaching at this point, I can tell you that it's not all bullshit. It really helped my punching power, footwork, and clinching. There were always a lot of people around who were totally full of shit and wanted to talk about throwing chi in peoples' eyes and related BS, but those of us who came and hit mits and did push hands almost all got something out of it. Definitely not taught as a complete striking system much of anywhere anymore, but not nearly as useless as people would have you believe. As usual, it's much less about the art itself and more about how it's practiced and Tai Chi specifically and kung fu in general tends to be light on sparring and heavy on forms and mysticism which is what renders it useless more so than the technical repertoire. Cung Le didn't do too bad as a San Shou based striker, it doesn't really matter what you call what you do if you're throwing down with other tough, committed guys on a regular basis with even decent level instruction.

This poor SOB in the video had pretty clearly never sparred a day in his life.

I spent years doing Tai Chi, I'm actually a certified instructor in the William CC Chen lineage though I've been out of it too long to feel comfortable teaching at this point, I can tell you that it's not all bullshit. It really helped my punching power, footwork, and clinching. There were always a lot of people around who were totally full of shit and wanted to talk about throwing chi in peoples' eyes and related BS, but those of us who came and hit mits and did push hands almost all got something out of it. Definitely not taught as a complete striking system much of anywhere anymore, but not nearly as useless as people would have you believe. As usual, it's much less about the art itself and more about how it's practiced and Tai Chi specifically and kung fu in general tends to be light on sparring and heavy on forms and mysticism which is what renders it useless more so than the technical repertoire. Cung Le didn't do too bad as a San Shou based striker, it doesn't really matter what you call what you do if you're throwing down with other tough, committed guys on a regular basis with even decent level instruction.

This poor SOB in the video had pretty clearly never sparred a day in his life.

my impression has been that it has effectiveness on its own; but is best as a supplemental martial art.

as stated the lack of consistent and active and realistic sparring hinders it more than anything else...

regardless of what you take if you don't spar or train realistically it will not work.

Back