MMA stars: Current UFC vs PRIDE

As stars fade there usually is no immediate replacements to fill that void. It takes time for others to reach that level of familiarity with fans and achieve that level of stardom. The megastars are far more rare. You can search for them and try to artificially build them but that is no lock or they would have a whole new level of stars popping as we speak.

Not really, dude. The fact that you have to compare 10 years of a dead organisation vs current day of a successful one shows that you have the poor argument. Let's do a fair comparison and look at the last 10 years of UFC. We've got Brock Lesnar, Conor McGregor, Ronda Rousey, GSP, Anderson Silva, and Jon Jones. 3 of those are names most people would know if you walked down the street in the middle of somewhere like New York or L.A., try that with Fedor or Cro Cop and people are gonna have no idea.

Dude, the point is to SHOW the CURRENT UFC. Its not PRIDE vs UFC. Read before you post off=topic

(I posted this in a similar thread the other day)

Tournaments were a great way to create new stars and epic matchups.

latest

Pride_Total_Elimination_2003_Kaimakusen_Poster.jpg

51EKWPR5ZRL.jpg

91JaalO0OSL._SL1500_.jpg

latest

222px-PRIDE_Critical_Countdown_2005_poster.jpg

Pride%20BushidoGP2.jpg

4905_ep.jpg

Young Shogun running through a stacked 2005 GP quickly turned him into a superstar and helped him earn the #1 ranking in the world. Others like Fedor, Hendo, Wanderlei and Gomi validated their championship status by winning tournaments.

Too many part time guys for there to be huge star power.

It's probably why the UFC can promote Stipe has the greatest HW of all time without much backlash because not many casual fans know who Fedor is.
Plus every time they promote him here he gets KTFO by MW 's & TV show guys

Stars?

I'm a big fan of the Pride days even though I only caught the end of it(live anyway), but those guys we're not really what I would call stars, Pride had some great characters though.

99% of the western world couldn't name you any of these pride superstars.

Stars?

I'm a big fan of the Pride days even though I only caught the end of it(live anyway), but those guys we're not really what I would call stars, Pride had some great characters though.

I had many friends who watched UFC events back then & had no idea what pride was , like the one guy said if you mentioned it they thought you were talking about a queer parade .

I’m excited about the young up and comers..Daren Till, Zabit, Erick Silva, O’Malley, and so on..
Damn, Erick Silva??

You heard of him too?!?

I thought I was one of the few that had heard about the whispers of this soon to be phenom!

Talent is much deeper now and all the names are in the UFC. Then you had 6 guys fighting shit birds that were around to build names. Can't build up 6 works MMA champions now days because it's just UFC and Bellator

Stars?

To be fair MMA was nowhere as known and popular as it is today, and PRIDE only really target the japanese audience.

Living in Europe, many people in the 2000's have heard or seen highlights of Fedor, Wanderlei and Cro Cop.

It was common to say their name and hear some random guy say '' yeah I saw a video of that guy it's insane ''

If I do that now, besides McGregor because of the Mayweather fight, nobody, NOBODY would react if I was talking about the list below :

Jon Jones
Anderson Silva
Daniel Cormier
Cain Velasquez
Khabib
Miocic
Overeem

Only McGregor would be known and this is only because of the Mayweather fight. Not mma related.

So Pride and K1 stars >UFC

Dude, the point is to SHOW the CURRENT UFC. Its not PRIDE vs UFC. Read before you post off=topic
But it's a pointless comparison. Conor is still signed to the UFC and he's bigger than anybody who fought for Pride, Brock is probably gonna return at the end of the year or next year too. Your point is just some arbitrary bullshit you're using to trash UFC.

Last edited:
To be fair MMA was nowhere as known and popular as it is today, and PRIDE only really target the japanese audience.
Yeah, it just didn't have the exposure that it does now.

But it's a pointless comparison. Conor is still signed to the UFC and he's bigger than anybody who fought for Pride, Brock is probably gonna return at the end of the year or next year too. Your point is just some arbitrary bullshit you're using to trash UFC.
its not pointless, its a fact, UFC is not producing as much stars as needed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back