MMA is so boring right now. But I've got the cure...

TheGOD

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
MMA is really lacking something right now. All we get is "this guy vs. that guy", ok now let's do "that guy vs. this guy". It's just match-up roulette. There's no hype. No storyline. We just got fighters trying, and mostly failing, to earn a crack at a belt that increasingly means nothing to the fans. We got fighters ducking each other or trying to pick and choose who they fight. I think i got the cure, though. So what about this?

A $1,000,000 one night MMA GRAND PRIX!

No belts on the line. No ten point must scoring system. No three month fight camps. Just show up and fight!

These fighters want to get paid, right? I envision a one night tournament where each fighter gets show money, maybe in the ballpark of $80 with a $40k pay increase for making it to the next round of the tournament. Whoever wins the tournament will cash out with a paycheck totaling (all rounds included) $1,000,000. Although all the fights would be three round fights, the rounds won't be scored individually. At the end of three rounds, if there hasn't been a finish, the judges will score the entirety of the fight and declare a winner. Stalling will also be called quick and often, perhaps even penalized. The brackets won't be announced until maybe a day or two before the event, hell, maybe not even until the weigh ins.

I'd like to see fighters try to duck such a payday, or complain about who they have to face in the tournament, with a million dollars on the line. I also think that with such a payday, fighters would lobby to get in from the weight classes bordering the weight class that the tournament is being held in. For example, I envision a UFC version and a Bellator version.

UFC potential participants in a LHW GP:

Jon Jones, Jimi Manuwa, Glover Teixeira, Alexander Gustaffson, Roy Nelson, Jacare Souza, Luke Rockhold, Gegard Mousasi, Yoel Romero, Daniel Cormier, Michael Bisping and whichever else HWs can make the 205 limit.

Bellator WW GP: (I've made a previous thread about a possible BFC WW GP involving the following fighters):

Lorenz Larkin, Paul Daley, Rory McDonald, Chidi Njokuani, Douglas Lima, Andrey Koreshkov, Michael "Venom" Page, and maybe someone like brennan ward (or Ben Askren might be available in co-promotional role).

Not only does this provide a potential payday for the fighters, but would give us something to actually talk about as fans rather than just waiting to see yet another #1 contenders fight that won't actually lead to a title shot.

Impossible for any grand prix to happen on US soil.

No commission is gonna be ok with guys fighting 2 fights in one night.

The tournament days are gone dude. Sorry, but true.

Ah yes. A tourney where you pay 80k for each fighter and one million to the winner.

Know a ton of promoters chomping at the bit to lose that kind of money.

Impossible for any grand prix to happen on US soil.

No commission is gonna be ok with guys fighting 2 fights in one night.

The tournament days are gone dude. Sorry, but true.
Didn't Bellator just do a one night tournament at BFC 142? And besides, who said it has to be on US soil?

Ah yes. A tourney where you pay 80k for each fighter and one million to the winner.

Know a ton of promoters chomping at the bit to lose that kind of money.
Lose money? The UFC pays out more than a million on some cards.

MMA is really lacking something right now. All we get is "this guy vs. that guy", ok now let's do "that guy vs. this guy". It's just match-up roulette. There's no hype. No storyline. We just got fighters trying, and mostly failing, to earn a crack at a belt that increasingly means nothing to the fans. We got fighters ducking each other or trying to pick and choose who they fight. I think i got the cure, though. So what about this?

A $1,000,000 one night MMA GRAND PRIX!

No belts on the line. No ten point must scoring system. No three month fight camps. Just show up and fight!

These fighters want to get paid, right? I envision a one night tournament where each fighter gets show money, maybe in the ballpark of $80 with a $40k pay increase for making it to the next round of the tournament. Whoever wins the tournament will cash out with a paycheck totaling (all rounds included) $1,000,000. Although all the fights would be three round fights, the rounds won't be scored individually. At the end of three rounds, if there hasn't been a finish, the judges will score the entirety of the fight and declare a winner. Stalling will also be called quick and often, perhaps even penalized. The brackets won't be announced until maybe a day or two before the event, hell, maybe not even until the weigh ins.

I'd like to see fighters try to duck such a payday, or complain about who they have to face in the tournament, with a million dollars on the line. I also think that with such a payday, fighters would lobby to get in from the weight classes bordering the weight class that the tournament is being held in. For example, I envision a UFC version and a Bellator version.

UFC potential participants in a LHW GP:

Jon Jones, Jimi Manuwa, Glover Teixeira, Alexander Gustaffson, Roy Nelson, Jacare Souza, Luke Rockhold, Gegard Mousasi, Yoel Romero, Daniel Cormier, Michael Bisping and whichever else HWs can make the 205 limit.

Bellator WW GP: (I've made a previous thread about a possible BFC WW GP involving the following fighters):

Lorenz Larkin, Paul Daley, Rory McDonald, Chidi Njokuani, Douglas Lima, Andrey Koreshkov, Michael "Venom" Page, and maybe someone like brennan ward (or Ben Askren might be available in co-promotional role).

Not only does this provide a potential payday for the fighters, but would give us something to actually talk about as fans rather than just waiting to see yet another #1 contenders fight that won't actually lead to a title shot.

...in the Yamma Pit.

Fighter pay is shit but Bones and Bisping as champ have to clear 1 mil for fighting only once in one night. I wouldn't be surprised if Cormeir for title fights and Gus get close enough to not want to fight 3x in one night for it.

Why would a MW sign on for 80 k to fight Bones, Gus or Cormier? Because if they somehow beat all 3 they get a million?

Bellator ain't putting up that kind of money for WW's. And they only get major viewers and press when old established stars like Rampage, Kimbo, Ttio, Chael, Fedor fights anyways. Not Chidi, Lorenz Larkin and Koreshkv. That's just how it is.

Fighter pay is shit but Bones and Bisping as champ have to clear 1 mil for fighting only once in one night. I wouldn't be surprised if Cormeir for title fights and Gus get close enough to not want to fight 3x in one night for it.

Why would a MW sign on for 80 k to fight Bones, Gus or Cormier? Because if they somehow beat all 3 they get a million?

Bellator ain't putting up that kind of money for WW's. And they only get major viewers and press when old established stars like Rampage, Kimbo, Ttio, Chael, Fedor fights anyways. Not Chidi, Lorenz Larkin and Koreshkv. That's just how it is.

YES! Why wouldn't they? What do they have to lose? They ARE prize fighters aren't they? If Jones and Bisping want to bow out, so what? It would still be fun to watch. I also doubt Gus makes anywhere near enough to scoff at a million dollars.

As for Bellator, have the tournament headlined by a Fedor fight. Boom! Now the card is stacked. You got a sellable main event with a super interesting undercard. And if Bellator can't swing 1 million dollars, then 500k would probably do the trick in their case. Let's not forget that there's precedence reinforcing this opinion:

overeem_k-1_check.jpg

Regarding their press, Bellator doesn't do anything noteworthy outside of their freak fights and "legends" fights to get people talking about them. So of course, that's all people talk about. But a one night WW GP would change that quickly.

I find it hard to believe that isn't some millionaire crazy MMA fan out there who would be willing to do something like this. If I was filthy rich I would throw a huge GP with Pride rules in Japan all one night winner takes all.

That would be straight savage but so awesome.

The only cure for the current down time in the UFC, is to have a young, brash, marketable title contender completely mop the floor with Conor McGregor.....then all the hype will kick back up.

One night tournaments suck. Its either a bunch of stalling to save energy or guys go all out and cannot make it past 2 rounds.

I find it hard to believe that isn't some millionaire crazy MMA fan out there who would be willing to do something like this. If I was filthy rich I would throw a huge GP with Pride rules in Japan all one night winner takes all.

That would be straight savage but so awesome.
Millionaires are Millionaires because they know how to save money, not throw it away on something that will not make them a penny.

Millionaires are Millionaires because they know how to save money, not throw it away on something that will not make them a penny.

Some millionaires got lucky and are morons too.

I know a better solution everybody gets 10000 for a finish plus gets a shot at best finish of the night 100000

Back