"MMA is for guys who can't box" Tyson Fury

Being a gypsy is for guys who can't work.

No.......that's completely wrong, they work ........being gypsy is to avoid paying tax. .....

And remember, crime, also involves some sort of work......as does selling carpets and stealing dogs.

It isnt a cool thing to say but it is kind of truth

You are so caught up in trying to prove MMA is superior that you arent even reading something that I have said multiple times. So let me make it very noticeable to you. MMA fighters have an advantage over boxers. That is not the argument that I am making. I am saying that pure striker vs pure grapple matches are not cut and dry.

Now allow me to clarify because I was not clear. The boxers did not train MMA they were fans of MMA and wanted to test themselves. They were mostly long time amateurs and low level pros. They were not from my gym.

Gokan Saki, Edson Barboza, Micheal Johnson, Conor McGregor, Sergio Pettis, Wonderboy Thompson, and Overeem. Just off the top of my head strikers who's ground game consists of avoiding the ground and not much else that do great. I can name even more outside of the UFC.

Striking and grappling are equally important for MMA but that is an entirely different discussion.
I don't need to prove anything. MMA/BJJ is superior. It involves smaller gloves, less protection at the amateur level, and an endless number of effective self-defense techniques that boxing doesn't account for.

That will always make it superior. Boxing is a small, niche of MMA training that isn't even required to a high degree in MMA because of the fear of the take-down.

Grappling is much more important for MMA than striking. All of the guys you named are well versed in BJJ. Wonderboy would have had no chance against Woodley if he didn't have BJJ, or wrestling defense. Michael Johnson was recently raped by a grappler. Conor was choked out by a BJJ guy, even though he dominated the striking realm. Primary strikers are the easy meat of the MMA world.

You're living in a fantasy world where early MMA didn't happen.

Combat Sombo, and Comnbat BJJ are much more realistic than boxing.

Last edited:
sherdog

l3ol6.gif

What you need to realise of course is that most of the elite skills we see in MMA come from backgrounds fighters had before MMA. So its less a case that MMA is a place for weaker boxing and more a case that very few boxers move to MMA because there sport pays well.

I don't need to prove anything. MMA is superior. Fact It involves smaller gloves, less protection at the amateur level, and an endless number of useable techniques that boxing doesn't account for.

That will always make it superior. Boxing is small, niche of MMA training that isn't even required to a high degree because of the fear of the take-down.

Grappling is much more important for MMA than striking. All of the guys you named are well versed in BJJ. Wonderboy would have had no chance against Woodley if he didn't have BJJ, or wrestling defense. Michael Johnson was recently raped by a grappler. Conor was choked out by a BJJ guy, even though he dominated the striking realm. Primary strikers are the easy meat of the MMA world.

You're living in a fantasy world where early MMA didn't happen.

Combat Sombo, and Comnbat BJJ are much more realistic than boxing.
You can't prove anything because you're arguing a subjective point as if it were fact.

The gloves make no difference i protection. They are designed to protect hands not reduce impact. And many amateur MMA fights hake you wear full protective gear. Bringing either up is pointless as it doesn't not effect the quality of the fighters.

You are claiming that they are the easy meat when these people are at the top of their divisions. You are biased to an comical degree.

Sambo was designed for actual combat and is leagues ahead of combat BJJ which still lacks a TD foundation.

When faced with the inability to get to the ground the dominant striker wins. It's why so many strong strikers stay at the top with nothing but TDD. If you are claiming otherwise then you are actually insane.

You can't prove anything because you're arguing a subjective point as if it were fact.

The gloves make no difference i protection. They are designed to protect hands not reduce impact. And many amateur MMA fights hake you wear full protective gear. Bringing either up is pointless as it doesn't not effect the quality of the fighters.

You are claiming that they are the easy meat when these people are at the top of their divisions. You are biased to an comical degree.

Sambo was designed for actual combat and is leagues ahead of combat BJJ which still lacks a TD foundation.

When faced with the inability to get to the ground the dominant striker wins. It's why so many strong strikers stay at the top with nothing but TDD. If you are claiming otherwise then you are actually insane.
No, you make a hypothesis, you design a test with fewer rules than boxing, and you allow anyone to test themselves.

The gloves make an important difference. Gloves protect hands, and the early development of cuts on opponents. Hitting without a glove, or with smaller gloves than boxing, has been proven be harder than hitting with boxing gloves.

It's like hitting with a mallet, and a hammer. The mallet still hurts, and can do damage, but the hammer will cause more acute, and immediate damage.

BJJ is the single best fighting style on the planet, and grapplers in general dominate strikers who have no knowledge of grappling.

You add wrestling with BJJ, and you have monster that almost no boxer, or striker could handle. It's always been this way. People understood this before WWII, and then the martial arts world became defined by Hollywood, and people forgot what was already known. Helio was quoted as saying that he hoped to bring GJJ to America, and create a super GJJ fighter. Mission accomplished.

The Gracies brought everyone back down to earth. They reestablished the combat hierarchy in favor of grapplers because they actually tested it.

Jigoro Kano, and Helio Gracie are the two most important martial art figures in history.

Last edited:
It can be said that fighting is for people who lack skills useful to society.

That’s coming from a guy who was a professional Soldier for 25 years, so I would know better than most.

It can be said that fighting is for people who lack skills useful to society.

That’s coming from a guy who was a professional Soldier for 25 years, so I would know better than most.
End thread.

Something we should all agree on.

No, you make a hypothesis, you design a test with fewer rules than boxing, and you allow anyone to test themselves.

No, the gloves make an important difference. Gloves protect hands, and the early development of cuts on opponents. Hitting without a glove, or with smaller gloves than boxing, has been proven be harder than hitting with boxing gloves.

It's like hitting with a mallet, and a hammer. The mallet still hurts, and can do damage, but the hammer will cause more acute, and immediate damage.

BJJ is the single best fighting style on the planet, and grapplers in general dominate strikers who have no knowledge of grappling. The end.

You add wrestling with BJJ, and you have monster that almost no boxer, or striker could handle. It's always been this way. People understood this before WWII, and then the martial arts world became defined by Hollywood, and people forgot what was already known.

The Gracies brought everyone back down to earth. They reestablished the combat hierarchy in favor of grapplers because they actually tested it.

Jigoro Kano, and Helio Gracie are the two most important martial art figures in history.
The Gracies dominated in a time when nobody knew what BJJ was. Once fighters became more competent they began to fall back in the pack as pure BJJ is incredibly flawed for MMA (as much as I love it and practice it, it is just the truth). it only works against world class competition when combined with Judo, sambo, or wrestling. It is a great supplement but just that, secondary.

Take Maia for example. A master at BJJ with weak wrestling that prevents him from being able to use his skills against people who can stuff his TDs. If he can get you down, you're fucked. If not, he gets picked apart.

As much as I love the romanticized grappling beast that you paint, as a grappler myself, it is an exaggeration. It isn't the early days of MMA where BJJ was magical. Everyone knows what it is now. People know what to expect.

Mixed martial artists will still whoop him like he's nothing. "No fighter in the Ufc can box like Fury can" lol and Tyson Fury can't wrestle or submit like every single mixed martial artist out there. Boxers should shut up about MMA. They talk alot but noone of them has got the balls to come over. I'd give him a minute against Stipe.

Hah don’t take anything Tyson fury says seriously

Pretty sure last year he was linking homosexuality with paedophilia and then the next day he talked about how he loved gays and cock is nice

What do you guys think about this? I mean Tyson is right I think. No fighter in the Ufc can box like Fury can. Thoughts?
Some guys want to be the best martial artist they can be which involves studying various disciplines. Who would you pick in a street fight between Fury and Stipe?

Mixed martial artists will still whoop him like he's nothing. "No fighter in the Ufc can box like Fury can" lol and Tyson Fury can't wrestle or submit like every single mixed martial artist out there. Boxers should shut up about MMA. They talk alot but noone of them has got the balls to come over. I'd give him a minute against Stipe.
eL4DxSF.gif

Back