"MMA is for guys who can't box" Tyson Fury

theres lots of athletic guys who cant take a punch,or face the prospect that some little Marcelo Garcia lookin dude can tie them in knots. Theyd rather not know,and stick to some sport where you throw a ball around instead.

All fights start standing. Grapplers have an advantage on the ground. Boxers have an advantage on the feet. They are even. If they can get them down then they win. If not they lose.

BJJ lacks a good TD base which makes it hard to implement against pure boxing. No gi Judo has a similar problem. Without the ability to get the fight to the ground you will get lit up.

Wrestling has no striking and thus no striking defense. Being fixated on TDs can leave you open to getting hit. Like Toney showed.

It's a fight. Anything can happen. Believing in absolutes is how you lose.

But that's besides the point. I don't care who wins against who. I actually believe MMA fighters win a good 6/10 times. Maybe more.

The point is that the argument is fucking stupid and childish. I don't care if an MMA fighter KOs an Olympic wrestler. That not why I follow wrestling. The same goes for boxing. It's just a dick measuring contest. One side doesn't want to be worse than the other.

It's easier to close the distance than it is to defend it. A boxer would have to be well trained in take-down defense for them to have any chance.

You don't need striking defense when you can easily close the distance in a matter of seconds. Figthers strike more now because of take-down defense, and everybody having trained BJJ. Without those factors, it would still be like UFC I today. These tactics only became relevant because fighters learned how to stay off of, and survive on the ground.

How old are you? You seem to be completely unaware that we had this experiment over, and over again. You sound like a Kung-Fu dork after watching UFC I.

Grapplers almost always dominate strikers who aren't competent in grappling. It's not a matter of anything can happen. It's what's going to happen most of the time that matters. Human error can always cause randomness, but it's not necessarily the average.

Some of you modern MMA fans seem to be oblivious to how this sport started, and why it exists. We have the Internet, and you guys are acting like people in the Dark Ages.

Don't play dumb.
Was Floyd a current top 10 boxer when they fought? Nobody is in their prime at 40, and he still lost badly, and dude hung out at burger king just to get heavy enough to weigh in at 150.

fighters fight for prizes in arenas that match their talents.

Lol. You just made my point you dumbass. If you are floyd mayweather you box and dont fight in the ufc. Lol.

Was Floyd a current top 10 boxer when they fought? Nobody is in their prime at 40, and he still lost badly.
Who gives a shit. If he wasn't top 10,that was only due to inactivity,not an erosion of skills. Playing dumb still.

theres lots of athletic guys who cant take a punch,or face the prospect that some little Marcelo Garcia lookin dude can tie them in knots. Theyd rather not know,and stick to some sport where you throw a ball around instead.
It's almost impossible be the best at something that you don't like.

Athletes don't just chase money. They have to have a real chance of being successful, and that's only going to happen through obsessing over your chosen sport.

The professional world isn't like being a three sport athlete in high-school. The talent pool is small in high-school. It's easy to look great at everything at those ages. Once you dip into the larger competitive pool where guys are consumed with perfecting their craft, it's a whole other world, and suddenly, you look average at everything, or only good at one thing.

Who gives a shit. If he wasn't top 10,that was only due to inactivity,not an erosion of skills. Playing dumb still.
Inactivity why? Oh yeah, cause he's old as shit and retired. The entire purpose of retirement for athletes is erosion of skills. Nobody is at their best at age 40, who are you kidding?

Inactivity why? Oh yeah, cause he's old as shit and retired. The entire purpose of retirement for athletes is erosion of skills. Nobody is at their best at age 40, who are you kidding?
There wasn't any one else he realistically could make serious money with until Conor came along. He wasn't going to move up to fight GGG and if not him than who? no one cares about any rematches or anyone else to fight that could generate the kind of money that Mayweather feels it would be worth making to train for.

From a money point of view he's 100% correct.
Case in point Conor.

Lol. You just made my point you dumbass. If you are floyd mayweather you box and dont fight in the ufc. Lol.
Your point was that guys will/should pursue the sport with the highest bounty, which is absurd.

Mayweather's not going to become a UFC fighter if it had the highest bounty. He's going to stick with what he's good at. It's the same for a UFC fighter; just because boxing has the highest bounty, doesn't mean that a fighter who is good at boxing is going to pursue that bounty.

It's not about the highest bounty. Most boxers don't make much money, and even the really good ones are unlikely to ever make as much as the best MMA fighters.

So, as a reminder, you're a fucking moron.

But that wouldn't be true,itd just be as ignorant as Fury's statement.
His point is, MMA is closer to a real fight, than boxing, and boxing is for guys who couldn't succeed in MMA.

Are you guys drunk? Take some time between thoughts. Think more.

It's easier to close the distance than it is to defend it. A boxer would have to be well trained in take-down defense for them to have any chance.

You don't need striking defense when you can easily close the distance in a matter of seconds. Figthers strike more now because of take-down defense, and everybody having trained BJJ. Without those factors, it would still be like UFC I today. These tactics only became relevant because fighters learned how to stay off of, and survive on the ground.

How old are you? You seem to be completely unaware that we had this experiment over, and over again. You sound like a Kung-Fu dork after watching UFC I.

Grapplers almost always dominate strikers who aren't competent in grappling. It's not a matter of anything can happen. It's what's going to happen most of the time that matters. Human error can always cause randomness, but it's not necessarily the average.

Some of you modern MMA fans seem to be oblivious to how this sport started, and why it exists. We have the Internet, and you guys are acting like people in the Dark Ages.
Top to bottom nails it
/thread

There wasn't any one else he realistically could make serious money with until Conor came along. He wasn't going to move up to fight GGG and if not him than who? no one cares about any rematches or anyone else to fight that could generate the kind of money that Mayweather feels it would be worth making to train for.
He tried to retire like 8 years before he actually did because his body was falling apart. Again, nobody is at their best at age 40.

His point is, MMA is closer to a real fight, than boxing, and boxing is for guys who couldn't succeed in MMA.

Are you guys drunk? Take some time between thoughts. Think more.
Its 4 am. I aint got to do shit.

<3>

He tried to retire like 8 years before he actually did because his body was falling apart. Again, nobody is at their best at age 40.

DId he lose in that time?

Dude I've been studying martial arts my whole life and training MMA for 8 years. I've fought boxers, kickboxers, and MMA fighters. And as someone who is primarily a grappler, yes I won almost every time in sparring. I felt that I had a strong advantage but I also had a strong striking basis in Muay Thai.

However, in my gym boxers have beaten well rounded MMA fighters 3 or 4 times out of 10. In my experience it can go either way. Closing the distance from too far away on a double leg got one dude caught and dropped.

Like I said MMA fighter by being well rounded to have an advantage. However, pretending that boxing always loses to grappling is a silly falsehood.

Your point was that guys will/should pursue the sport with the highest bounty, which is absurd.

So, as a reminder, you're a fucking moron.

It's prize fighting, you smart kid. You follow the money or it would be called something else.

Back