MMA is a sport. The goal is to win

Be an "entertaining fighter" only to get KOed repeatedly so you can get fired from the UFC and have fans call you a scrub.

Winning is the goal.

If you are entertaining you keep your contract win or lose. If you are boring you get fired first chance like Fitch.

Be an "entertaining fighter" only to get KOed repeatedly so you can get fired from the UFC and have fans call you a scrub.

Winning is the goal.
Yes winning is more important , but living by the hump brings the same result , you can't lose or you get cut .

MMA pretends to be a sport but it’s not

People seem to forget that MMA is a sport, and the number one goal when a fighter enters the octagon (far and away ahead of any other secondary goals) is to win the fight.

Usman's 8-0 in the UFC. The second longest winning streak in the WW division in UFC history after GSP. Not only has he won every fight, but he's never really been in any danger at all of losing. He's literally always controlling where the fight takes place and is never in a vulnerable position. There's never been a doubt who won the fight when the bell rings to end an Usman fight, and there sure as hell isn't many fighters you can say that for.

He's obviously not the most exciting fighter, and he says some odd shit on the mic, but you have to respect this man. I honestly don't think there's anyone who stands a chance of beating him in the WW division other than Woodley (and GSP if he fights again at WW), so I personally can't wait to see those two mega strong BEASTS inevitably battle it out for the title.

War Kamaru "30%" Usman!

giphy.gif

Leftists with their agenda again!

WW division has never looked so depressing.

Although, I do think Wonderboy, RDA, Lawler, even Oliveira, Masvidal, maybe Gunnar could pull out decent fights with Usman. I wouldn't be shocked if Colby or Woodley vs. Usman turns out to be fun, but I'm not expecting them too. Could easily be stinkers.

I think the worst is behind us.

I hope.

People seem to forget that MMA is a sport, and the number one goal when a fighter enters the octagon (far and away ahead of any other secondary goals) is to win the fight.

Usman's 8-0 in the UFC. The second longest winning streak in the WW division in UFC history after GSP. Not only has he won every fight, but he's never really been in any danger at all of losing. He's literally always controlling where the fight takes place and is never in a vulnerable position. There's never been a doubt who won the fight when the bell rings to end an Usman fight, and there sure as hell isn't many fighters you can say that for.

He's obviously not the most exciting fighter, and he says some odd shit on the mic, but you have to respect this man. I honestly don't think there's anyone who stands a chance of beating him in the WW division other than Woodley (and GSP if he fights again at WW), so I personally can't wait to see those two mega strong BEASTS inevitably battle it out for the title.

War Kamaru "30%" Usman!

giphy.gif
The number goal is to justify people spending money on it.

ENTERTAINMENT

Definition of entertainment
1: the act of entertaining
2a archaic : maintenance, provision
b obsolete : employment
3a : amusement or diversion provided especially by performers
  • hired a band to provideentertainment
b : something diverting or engaging: such as
(1) : a public performance
(2) : a usually light comic or adventure novel

The #1 goal for all professionals is to make money. The smarter guys realize they need to make people want to watch them fight. If they're not drawing eyes to the events, they shouldn't complain about their paychecks.

WW division has never looked so depressing.

Although, I do think Wonderboy, RDA, Lawler, even Oliveira, Masvidal, maybe Gunnar could pull out decent fights with Usman. I wouldn't be shocked if Colby or Woodley vs. Usman turns out to be fun, but I'm not expecting them too. Could easily be stinkers.

I think the worst is behind us.

I hope.
I don’t know what it is with the WW division but this division has produced some of the most boring fighters on the planet. It’s like WW is the hub for all of the blankets and backpacks to gather together and show us how boring they can be.

Coma-ru Snooze-man
Seriously considering stealing this nickname.

edit: too late

Last edited:
No the goal is to finish. It's a literal fight. The only reason there is time is to make it watchable because it could go on forever like some matches in the past have. The only reason there is a decision is to give some sort of closure but if you don't finish you should feel like it was a draw.

I'm speaking in general about the idea that only winning matters, not about Usman specifically. He's just a recent example of a risk-averse fighter.

In the sport of prize-fighting entertainment matters. Conor isn't getting paid all that money to win. He's getting it because he gives the fans their money's worth every time he fights.

<<MMA is a sport. The goal is to win>>

Ufc fighter is a job. The goal is to keep it.

The goal is to win but if you asked any fighter if they would rather be a champion or a multi millionaire, they would almost always take the money. Sure you might lose occasionally but you can retire and never work again if that is what you want if you are a exciting fighter. Why do you think guys like Fitch and Shields are still fighting as old men. Because they are boring. Compare that to MacGregor etc. He will never work another day in his life if he doesn't want to.

If he wants the belt and a winning record, you are right. If he wants to retire a rich man (why else would you become a prize fighter?) then there is a great deal of salesmanship involved

This is prize fighting, if you're not willing to fight in an entertaining way, that's fine. Nobody will want to pay to watch you though, so good luck retiring poor.

You don’t get paid for winning. You get paid for putting butts in seats, win or lose. People want to be entertained.

People keep saying "you don't get paid for winning", and "people won't pay to watch you if you're boring".

1. You do get paid for winning. In just about every fighter's contract, they double their salary on fight night if they get the W. The pay structure is literally built so that you do whatever it takes to win. Not to mention long-term you obviously get paid a lot more for winning and becoming champ than you do for losing, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

2. GSP already proved that MMA fans are smart enough to appreciate dominance and don't necessarily require every single fighter to be an "exciting fighter" in order for us to want to watch them. If a fighter keeps winning, we want to watch them. For everyone who says people won't watch you if you're boring, are you legitimately going to deliberately not watch Usman's next fight? It will be a title eliminator against a top 5 opponent. You'll watch it, to see if he can continue his historic winning streak or if someone will be able to shut him down.

3. People keep referencing Conor as an example of somehow who is entertaining and therefore got rich. Conor won fights, which was the number one key to his success. If Conor lost to Denis Siver, and then continued his career alternating wins and losses, the Conor McGregor that exists now wouldn't have been created. He'd still be grinding it out fighting on FS1 Fight Nights. Without winning there is nothing. No doubt it helps to be entertaining if you want to be a global superstar, but winning is number 1. If Usman wins his next 10 fights, even if they're all "boring", he'll be a champ with several title defenses and a historic 18 fight winning streak and money won't be an issue.

War Kamaru "30%" Usman!

giphy.gif
No objective person can claim he looked good last night.

It is a sport but is combat at its core which is what draws fans. if the majority of fighters are point fighters or blankets then the sport will continue to enjoy PPV buys of 85k-200k and sub-million free tv because a football or basketball game is 100x more enjoyable to the majority of the population than a non-violent “fight.”

Yeah, nah. It's sports entertainment. Even the belts are more promotional tools than legitimate titles, judging by the way hyped fighters get to jump the queue, intern belts are set up on a whim, and stripped on a whim. The whole thing is a big spectacle put on for our entertainment and little more.

If you are entertaining you keep your contract win or lose. If you are boring you get fired first chance like Fitch.
If I'm exciting yet I lose every fight because I want to be exciting and not follow a gameplan, I'm eventually cut from the UFC along with more brain damage than I needed.

I barely even felt like I had just got done watching a fight last night when it was all over. That's how boring and uneventful it was (although Maia is largely to blame just as Usman, let's be fair.) The criticism is well deserved.

People seem to forget that MMA is apart of the entertainment industry, and that one of the primary goals is to entertain or else you dont get paid or even worse, you get cut.

Its half sport, half entertainment.

Back