MMA is a middle and upper class sport

MMA gyms are expensive as fuck if you’re a broke kid, and they can play football, basketball, wrestle, etc at school for free, so way more kids are going into those sports

I would say boxing is more middle-upper class, the majority of people who watch mma have low jobs and a low income imo.

I disagree, boxers are known to be largely of lower class status. Name a champ who grew up rich and I’ll name 10 from the gutter

Because In developed countries it's not about finding the best fighters, it's about making money and keeping all the silly little karate dojos and bjj classes and such in business

In less developed countries the government subsidizes the training of talented youngsters, but that kind of commie crap won't fly in the west.

Who profits off training some talented poor kid for no money? Gotta make that bank even if it means you are producing worse fighters, because modern capitalism.

The exception is wrestling with its strong amateur tradition, a poor kid can wrestle for basically free at school and potentially earn a scholarship. Most other disciplines are just a for-profit circlejerk
Nice rant, but the premise is horse shit. Watch any season of TUF and it's full of broke ass white trash. Do you think Nick and Nate swooped in with their big pile of money to start training?

Rich kids go to hobby gyms and don't want to go pro because they have other options that don't include getting blasted in the face. They also aren't going to sleep under the mats and clean the gym to pay for training like people with no other options do, or Jon Jones if USADA shows up.

yeah i had 2 buddies that were purple belts and i always beat them and im 5"8 and they were as big as 6 foot tall lol they would take me to gracie jujitsu gym for "free class" which i went alot and i only went against one brown belt and i beat him once and he beat me 3 times lol he was so strong though. honestly i always took them down and got in side control then arm triangled them. and a few ankle locks

just casually subbing bigger brown belts with ankle locks. Where can I buy your instructional bro

i trained with friends in a garage and got to the point of subbing purple belts and a brown belt in jujitsu. hell rich franklin trained in his garage and became champ

training is free to an extent lmao
I train UFC too.

I UFC train with trees and and leaf branches coming out of trees

What the fuck? If you're gonna try to insult at least be coherent
Funny thing is. Im not insulting you.

Seriously, i admire this train. I was just kidding.

I really use trees and branches to train

Money. A MMA gym is more expensive than a Boxing/Wrestling gym and in Wrestling you have elementary/high school programs that go up to college. Also depending on the country, MMA might not be as popular as other sports like soccer.

I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

Something about it being a nobility/gentlemen’s thing and whatnot.

Round table knights, the samurai, that sort of class.

This post will go underrated. Shame.

<NoneOfMy>

Why is MMA a middle and upper class sport in the US? In comparison to boxing you see a lot less underprivileged young people training in MMA. I've heard the argument that it's because training costs are higher, however if this is true then how are people living in poverty able to train in other countries like Brazil, Dagestan etc. I believe there's a lot of untapped potential in the poorer rougher areas in America, so why do you think trainers here refuse to make their training more available to the poor kids, like in other places?
In north america it is a rich persons sport or you make the choice to liver in poverty - and other first world countries.

in other parts of the world poverty is life - in most cases - and not a choice. You deal with it. Jose moved to rio and had nothing, slept on the floors of the gym, did not eat much. etc

In other parts you can get your education paid for, get a well paying job but decide to quit that job to go on welfare and live off your girlfriend and have it come out as some sort of fairytale.

Back