MMA is a middle and upper class sport

Ppl should stop training MMA and just start training strictly UFC; it's the only way to stop this nonsense. Trust me.

edit: To expound on this, most MMA gyms aren't fighters' gyms, they're business ventures first and foremost. Fighters' gyms are generally horribly unprofitable, and are almost always subsidized by casual training. I highly doubt even the top gyms like AKA actually make a lot from their fighters.
According to Cerrone, bums off the street can roll with Holly Holm for $150.

According to Cerrone, bums off the street can roll with Holly Holm for $150.

That whole situation sounds to me like they're cashing out. They can coast on their gym's reputation without giving a fuck and rake it in for a while. Can't say I really blame them, though their fighters will suffer for it.

This whole "homeless person" thing makes zero sense though, where the fuck would a homeless person get $150 for training, let alone for one sparring session? It's nonsensical.

Mma is not a real sport. It’s a mix of different sports

i trained with friends in a garage and got to the point of subbing purple belts and a brown belt in jujitsu. hell rich franklin trained in his garage and became champ

training is free to an extent lmao

Subbing purple and brown belts on a consistent basis without a significant weight advantage?

i trained with friends in a garage and got to the point of subbing purple belts and a brown belt in jujitsu. hell rich franklin trained in his garage and became champ

training is free to an extent lmao

Pretty sweet. Started the same way -couldnt afford Gracie back in the day so my buddy (whose ass I used to beat wrestling) started going 5 days a week and then coming over my crib and showing me everything he learned that week with notes and everything on an old futon. When i could finally afford class I went in and was able to tap out some Blues but mostly guys were like who da fuq is this guy!? Like old Kung Fu dojos, Gracie used to have that "Dont teach anyone else these secrets!" -type pinkie swear promises

That whole situation sounds to me like they're cashing out. They can coast on their gym's reputation without giving a fuck and rake it in for a while. Can't say I really blame them, though their fighters will suffer for it.

This whole "homeless person" thing makes zero sense though, where the fuck would a homeless person get $150 for training, let alone for one sparring session? It's nonsensical.
I don't think Cerrone was being literal. I think he was just referring to non-athletes.

It’s upper class only because you have to pay 60$ t watch a fight card

Because In developed countries it's not about finding the best fighters, it's about making money and keeping all the silly little karate dojos and bjj classes and such in business

In less developed countries the government subsidizes the training of talented youngsters, but that kind of commie crap won't fly in the west.

Who profits off training some talented poor kid for no money? Gotta make that bank even if it means you are producing worse fighters, because modern capitalism.

The exception is wrestling with its strong amateur tradition, a poor kid can wrestle for basically free at school and potentially earn a scholarship. Most other disciplines are just a for-profit circlejerk
Is training poor kids really that unprofitable though? These boxing gyms are businesses too after all, they aren't just their to give charity to poor kids. I think a poor kid with less options is also more likely to be hungrier and go all in with their training and become pros at some point as well. Then you have more fighters representing your gym and cutting you a percentage of their payout.

Pretty sweet. Started the same way -couldnt afford Gracie back in the day so my buddy (whose ass I used to beat wrestling) started going 5 days a week and then coming over my crib and showing me everything he learned that week with notes and everything on an old futon. When i could finally afford class I went in and was able to tap out some Blues but mostly guys were like who da fuq is this guy!? Like old Kung Fu dojos, Gracie used to have that "Dont teach anyone else these secrets!" -type pinkie swear promises

I bought my black belt from the internet.
tenor.gif

Why is MMA a middle and upper class sport in the US? In comparison to boxing you see a lot less underprivileged young people training in MMA. I've heard the argument that it's because training costs are higher, however if this is true then how are people living in poverty able to train in other countries like Brazil, Dagestan etc. I believe there's a lot of untapped potential in the poorer rougher areas in America, so why do you think trainers here refuse to make their training more available to the poor kids, like in other places?
no grappling the hood only uppercuts

MMA gym prices are a joke tbh

Boxing gyms are like 40$ a month and MMA is usually 150+. Then they bitch about not having enough people despite the fact most people quit going to BJJ/MMA because the time they get in lessons isn't worth that much a month.

Subbing purple and brown belts on a consistent basis without a significant weight advantage?
yeah i had 2 buddies that were purple belts and i always beat them and im 5"8 and they were as big as 6 foot tall lol they would take me to gracie jujitsu gym for "free class" which i went alot and i only went against one brown belt and i beat him once and he beat me 3 times lol he was so strong though. honestly i always took them down and got in side control then arm triangled them. and a few ankle locks

Because it’s the only place for former college wrestlers to go professionally

sounds like alot of fun. funny cuz my adventures also involved a futon

To start out with you need several different gym memberships.

At one point BJJ was the most important discipline, that is expensive.

MMA unlike boxing isn't an Olympic sport and therefore much more unlikely to be able to get governmental or charitable financial assistance to keep costs for the fighter lower.

Back