MMA is a middle and upper class sport

ImmigrantMentality

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why is MMA a middle and upper class sport in the US? In comparison to boxing you see a lot less underprivileged young people training in MMA. I've heard the argument that it's because training costs are higher, however if this is true then how are people living in poverty able to train in other countries like Brazil, Dagestan etc. I believe there's a lot of untapped potential in the poorer rougher areas in America, so why do you think trainers here refuse to make their training more available to the poor kids, like in other places?

Discipline level, ability to buy way out of trouble. Broke ass bad kids go to pound me in the ass prison, while rich kids get scouts to watch them and strings pulled for invites to higher attractions.

I made that up. Fact.

Why is MMA a middle and upper class sport in the US? In comparison to boxing you see a lot less underprivileged young people training in MMA. I've heard the argument that it's because training costs are higher, however if this is true then how are people living in poverty able to train in other countries like Brazil, Dagestan etc. I believe there's a lot of untapped potential in the poorer rougher areas in America, so why do you think trainers here refuse to make their training more available to the poor kids, like in other places?

Because In developed countries it's not about finding the best fighters, it's about making money and keeping all the silly little karate dojos and bjj classes and such in business

In less developed countries the government subsidizes the training of talented youngsters, but that kind of commie crap won't fly in the west.

Who profits off training some talented poor kid for no money? Gotta make that bank even if it means you are producing worse fighters, because modern capitalism.

The exception is wrestling with its strong amateur tradition, a poor kid can wrestle for basically free at school and potentially earn a scholarship. Most other disciplines are just a for-profit circlejerk

Last edited:
WEC and their tribal tat intro screamed "upper class."

MMA gyms are much more expensive then wrestling and boxing, right now, in my area the cheapest gym for MMA is 125/mo (not counting the ufc gym which is still 89/mo) the most expensive is somewhere around 250/mo, the boxing gyms in the area are about 40-50/mo

It's middle/upper class for those who casually train in the U.S., not so much for the fighters. The trend of underprivileged backgrounds for the actual pro fighters in MMA is generally still pretty applicable.

The reason it tends to be middle/upper class for those who just train is because MMA hasn't been around that long, and most MMA gyms are located in affluent areas. MMA and BJJ is actually a pretty hip form of exercise for professionals (speaking from experience in the Bay Area, BJJ is big with tech bros, hot shot lawyers etc.), and they can afford high rates. No one is going to choose Fuckbutt, Alabama to open their hip new MMA gym. They're going to go to San Francisco, San Diego, LA, NYC etc., where people are willing and able to pay +$200 a month for training.

I'm sure this will change in time though.

edit: To expound on this, most MMA gyms aren't fighters' gyms, they're business ventures first and foremost. Fighters' gyms are generally horribly unprofitable, and are almost always subsidized by casual training. I highly doubt even the top gyms like AKA actually make a lot from their fighters.

Last edited:
i trained with friends in a garage and got to the point of subbing purple belts and a brown belt in jujitsu. hell rich franklin trained in his garage and became champ

training is free to an extent lmao

US is more "professional" about everything.
In order to train MMA< you go to proper gym and buy all equipment and pay monthly fees.

In other countries, they have a more "lax" approach.
No equipment unless you show promises, then you get help from the gym (if you are serious about it).
Plenty of stories of poor kids started this way. Aldo, Toquinho are some examples.
There's also the mentality (for poor kids) that the sport can take them away from poverty.

In US it is a little different.

Those middle class kids are training weakass MMA for fun and they avoid getting punched in the faces. Real MMA requires you to hurt and finish your opponents. That's why UFC are full of bums.

At,the events the fans dont appear middle or upper class.

i trained with friends in a garage and got to the point of subbing purple belts and a brown belt in jujitsu. hell rich franklin trained in his garage and became champ

training is free to an extent lmao

This is true. I think it will take more planning, focus, and dedication but you can largely be responsible for your own training if you know how to train, and have partners willing to go live with you.

It's middle/upper class for those who casually train in the U.S., not so much for the fighters. The trend of underprivileged backgrounds for the actual pro fighters in MMA is generally still pretty applicable.

The reason it tends to be middle/upper class for those who just train is because MMA hasn't been around that long, and most MMA gyms are located in affluent areas. MMA and BJJ is actually a pretty hip form of exercise for professionals (speaking from experience in the Bay Area, BJJ is big with tech bros, hot shot lawyers etc.), and they can afford high rates. No one is going to choose Fuckbutt, Alabama to open their hip new MMA gym. They're going to go to San Francisco, San Diego, LA, NYC etc., where people are willing and able to pay +$200 a month for training.

I'm sure this will change in time though.

edit: To expound on this, most MMA gyms aren't fighters' gyms, they're business ventures first and foremost. Fighters' gyms are generally horribly unprofitable, and are almost always subsidized by casual training. I highly doubt even the top gyms like AKA actually make a lot from their fighters.
Even in small towns in TX it's going to cost you a 100 plus to get crappy training by someone with weak credentials. I bet it's like this in other small towns as well

MMA gyms are much more expensive then wrestling and boxing, right now, in my area the cheapest gym for MMA is 125/mo (not counting the ufc gym which is still 89/mo) the most expensive is somewhere around 250/mo, the boxing gyms in the area are about 40-50/mo

The boxing gym I go to is $180 for 6 months, $300 for the year. Open 6 days a week, and is registered with USA Boxing.

Even in small towns in TX it's going to cost you a 100 plus to get crappy training by someone with weak credentials. I bet it's like this in other small towns as well
\

100%, I wouldn't go to a small town MMA gym unless I knew for certain they had solid training lineage there. Less of a concern in big metro areas because you get a ton of spinoffs with qualified people from big gyms. That's not to say you don't get bullshido in metro areas, it's just easier to find a small gym with solid credentials. Still gonna be expensive though.

Back