MMA guy needs schooled on some Boxing

LongDongSilver

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
so I'm bored right now with these weak cards that ufc has been having .. They finally are having a worthy HW Champion vs. LHW Champion coming as a super fight but the rest seems to be bullshit as usual..

with that said i happened to watch a Netflix documentary about boxing.. And i need to be refreshed and caught up

does it work like MMA in terms of belts ?

UFC = WBO
Bellattor = WBA ?

where one is considered better than the other ? and you could pretty much guess if they were to go fight for X title they would likely lose ?

i haven't watched boxing since i was a kid and Tyson got Ko'd by Douglas

Crawford. Vs. Lomancheko (spelling)
Wilder Vs. Joshua ( will it happen soon)

what other great fights need to happen that have been stalled out ?

I watched Canelo vs. GGG i was super pumped for it and then you get screwed in the end .. Sad to see all the corruption

MMA has no equivalent to the WBO and WBA belts as MMA doesn't have any sanctioning bodies. MMA did have a sanctioning body for a brief time (WAMMA), but it didn't last. PBC briefly floated the idea of having a PBC belt (which would be a similar thing as Bellator or UFC belts), but most were of the opinion that it would have been a terrible idea.

Crawford/Lomachenko probably won't happen as there is a significant size difference between the two and Lomachenko will probably max out as a JWW.

does boxing do USADA ?

Certain fighters contract out to USADA for testing on a fight by fight basis. The WBA and WBC both have a partnership with VADA to monitor all their rated fighters year round with random tests (a similar relationship the UFC has with USADA). Both VADA and USADA follow WADA guidelines. The IBF plans on implementing a similar system soon, and the WBO, which is lagging behind, will almost definitely end up doing the same thing in time. This is all in addition to the typical commission testing.

so I'm bored right now with these weak cards that ufc has been having .. They finally are having a worthy HW Champion vs. LHW Champion coming as a super fight but the rest seems to be bullshit as usual..

with that said i happened to watch a Netflix documentary about boxing.. And i need to be refreshed and caught up

does it work like MMA in terms of belts ?

UFC = WBO
Bellattor = WBA ?

where one is considered better than the other ? and you could pretty much guess if they were to go fight for X title they would likely lose ?

i haven't watched boxing since i was a kid and Tyson got Ko'd by Douglas

Crawford. Vs. Lomancheko (spelling)
Wilder Vs. Joshua ( will it happen soon)

what other great fights need to happen that have been stalled out ?

I watched Canelo vs. GGG i was super pumped for it and then you get screwed in the end .. Sad to see all the corruption
What's the name of the Netflix boxing documentary?

Bellator and UFC are two different organizations that have their own fighters, they're basically two leagues. This is not what WBO, WBA etc. are - they operate in the same league - professional boxing as we know it.

WBO and WBA are just two of four mainstream 'world champion belts'. Traditionally in boxing, there was just one champion per weight class, but now with fuckers like WBO, WBA, IBF and WBC organizations around, there are 4 world championship belts per division. They are all plastic belts in reality, only one champion is a legit champion.

The best belt is the one that is won against the best opponent ultimately. Ideally, we will see the best in the weightclass fight each other, thus loosely this will mean the WBO, WBC, WBA etc. champions fight each other to determine who the real champ is, but this doesn't happen often.

Each belt have their own internal Top 10 ranking. You can be ranked no.2 in WBA but not even ranked in WBC.

All of this gives boxers an incentive to milk their belt by fighting 'mandatory challengers' from the diluted Top 10 ranking of the belt they currently hold. These challengers are most often mediocre fighters.

Sometimes some of the best in a division won't even have a belt.
Canelo-GGG I believe is a solid draw. The winner of a fight isn't necessarily one that 'comes forward'. There are a number of scoring criteria in boxing.

There is a reasonable level of predictability in boxing, but when the best are truly fighting the best, it becomes blurred.

Crawford walks around ripped at 177lbs and he is a welterweight (147lbs) who drained disgustingly to bully opponents at 135 and 140. Lomachenko is a big Featherweight (126lbs) who chose to move up to Super Featherweight (130) because no one was fighting him, and will move up again to Lightweight (135lbs) despite being disadvantaged in terms of size, walking around at 138 ish. It's not a fair fight, I think Lomachenko outboxes Crawford until Crawford uses his size to KO Loma.
P4P, Lomachenko > Crawford.

Wilder - there is method to his madness but Joshua is a more technical fighter and a real blue chip prospect. Joshua will be the favourite.

I sat there and wrote this out because I'm in the bathroom taking a shit.

What's the name of the Netflix boxing documentary?

Bellator and UFC are two different organizations that have their own fighters, they're basically two leagues. This is not what WBO, WBA etc. are - they operate in the same league - professional boxing as we know it.

WBO and WBA are just two of four mainstream 'world champion belts'. Traditionally in boxing, there was just one champion per weight class, but now with fuckers like WBO, WBA, IBF and WBC organizations around, there are 4 world championship belts per division. They are all plastic belts in reality, only one champion is a legit champion.

The best belt is the one that is won against the best opponent ultimately. Ideally, we will see the best in the weightclass fight each other, thus loosely this will mean the WBO, WBC, WBA etc. champions fight each other to determine who the real champ is, but this doesn't happen often.

Each belt have their own internal Top 10 ranking. You can be ranked no.2 in WBA but not even ranked in WBC.

All of this gives boxers an incentive to milk their belt by fighting 'mandatory challengers' from the diluted Top 10 ranking of the belt they currently hold. These challengers are most often mediocre fighters.

Sometimes some of the best in a division won't even have a belt.
Canelo-GGG I believe is a solid draw. The winner of a fight isn't necessarily one that 'comes forward'. There are a number of scoring criteria in boxing.

There is a reasonable level of predictability in boxing, but when the best are truly fighting the best, it becomes blurred.

Crawford walks around ripped at 177lbs and he is a welterweight (147lbs) who drained disgustingly to bully opponents at 135 and 140. Lomachenko is a big Featherweight (126lbs) who chose to move up to Super Featherweight (130) because no one was fighting him, and will move up again to Lightweight (135lbs) despite being disadvantaged in terms of size, walking around at 138 ish. It's not a fair fight, I think Lomachenko outboxes Crawford until Crawford uses his size to KO Loma.
P4P, Lomachenko > Crawford.

Wilder - there is method to his madness but Joshua is a more technical fighter and a real blue chip prospect. Joshua will be the favourite.

I sat there and wrote this out because I'm in the bathroom taking a shit.

Crawford was very big at 35, but saying he drained himself "disgustingly" at 140 a bit much. He wasn't appreciably bigger (if he was bigger, at all) than Postol or Indongo.

Crawford was very big at 35, but saying he drained himself "disgustingly" at 140 a bit much. He wasn't appreciably bigger (if he was bigger, at all) than Postol or Indongo.
Got to disagree there, he looked a lot 'thicker' than Postol and Indongo. I want to see Crawford at 154. To me, he gets away fighting at 147 because Spence, Porter and formerly Brook are 154lbers cutting to 147.

Got to disagree there, he looked a lot 'thicker' than Postol and Indongo. I want to see Crawford at 154. To me, he gets away fighting at 147 because Spence, Porter and formerly Brook are 154lbers cutting to 147.

He hasn't even fought at 147 yet, but he only gets a pass from you to fight there because other WWs are fairly big for the weight? Interesting.

He hasn't even fought at 147 yet, but he only gets a pass from you to fight there because other WWs are fairly big for the weight? Interesting.

He considers AJ a real blue chip prospect. That's also interesting.

thanks .. That cleared alot up ..

the movie was with Cam Awesome and i think sexy or black chocolate whom al hayman paid to take a year off and relinquish his belt .. Paid him half a mill

shows how guys get a huge ego and instead of trading the waters longer they go for money

There are smaller local belts like the British titles that people work their way up to and then the world title has unfortunately been watered down between four. Even the IBO is trying to be considered but I believe most people refuse to consider it. Fans will have opinions on which operates better but it really it just depends on the fighters. Thankfully unification fights do happen. Maybe not as fast as most fans want but they have been semi often recently.

MMA has no equivalent to the WBO and WBA belts as MMA doesn't have any sanctioning bodies. MMA did have a sanctioning body for a brief time (WAMMA), but it didn't last. PBC briefly floated the idea of having a PBC belt (which would be a similar thing as Bellator or UFC belts), but most were of the opinion that it would have been a terrible idea.

Crawford/Lomachenko probably won't happen as there is a significant size difference between the two and Lomachenko will probably max out as a JWW.

So does this mean a boxing match is sanctioned by the governing body and also the local athletic commission? How do their “sanctioning powers” differ?

So does this mean a boxing match is sanctioned by the governing body and also the local athletic commission? How do their “sanctioning powers” differ?
Pretty sure the AC trumps the alphabet orgs. The alphabet orgs really only have power over their own rankings and rules.

They have different jurisdictions. Sanctioning bodies really only exist to award belts and attempt to create a legitimate competitive structure (not getting into their corruption and where all of the sanctioning fees they collect end up going). ACs exist to make sure fights happen in a safe manner according to the laws of a given state/province/country (in theory, anyway). There is obviously some overlap and collaboration between ACs and sanctioning bodies, but that's how I've always understood their two roles.

In terms of how the drug testing works, sanctioning bodies essentially always acknowledge the results of AC administered tests. The new sanctioning body ordered VADA testing is a bit more of a grey area in terms of how the ACs themselves will recognize positive tests. There has been some tension between USADA and the NSAC in the past (see the Pacquiao/Mayweather IV situation), and there could conceivably be some tension between ACs and sanctioning bodies with sanctioning bodies trying to increase their purview.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the AC trumps the alphabet orgs. The alphabet orgs really only have power over their own rankings and rules.

That would make sense to me.

They have different jurisdictions. Sanctioning bodies really only exist to award belts and attempt to create a legitimate competitive structure (not getting into their corruption and where all of the sanctioning fees they collect end up going). ACs exist to make sure fights happen in a safe manner according to the laws of a given state/province/country (in theory, anyway). There is obviously some overlap and collaboration between ACs and sanctioning bodies, but that's how I've always understood their two roles.

In terms of how the drug testing works, sanctioning bodies essentially always acknowledge the results of AC administered tests. The new sanctioning body ordered VADA testing is a bit more of a grey area in terms of how the ACs themselves will recognize positive tests. There has been some tension between USADA and the NSAC in the past (see the Pacquiao/Mayweather IV situation), and there could conceivably be some tension between ACs and sanctioning bodies with sanctioning bodies trying to increase their purview.

Thanks for clarifying, seems clear enough to me. I was under the impression originally that WBC = UFC/Bellator etc, seems I was incorrect.

And yeah I suppose different ACs have different standards perhaps, I did hear that the Texas AC was notoriously sketchy, just watching the UFC live from there now actually. I guess what it does show is that the world of fighting is a complex one politically.

Back