MMA grappling vs sports grappling

youngjune

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
How important is it to practice grappling like MMA style where you can punch or kick on the ground or even use ground and pound. Obviously in training your not going all out but will have to learn to defend against this or even get used to hitting or get hit.

Where as sports grappling focus on just pure grappling skills. I mean there are stuff you can do in sports grappling that you can't do in MMA style grappling.

Anything you can do in the various sports you can do in the cage.

Whether you should do, is another question.

Though it sounds like you've already got your answer in mind and are just asking rhetorically in hopes people will validate it.

Last edited:
How important is it to practice grappling like MMA style where you can punch or kick on the ground or even use ground and pound. Obviously in training your not going all out but will have to learn to defend against this or even get used to hitting or get hit.

Where as sports grappling focus on just pure grappling skills. I mean there are stuff you can do in sports grappling that you can't do in MMA style grappling.

The way to escape a ground and pound was the great mystery of the pre-BJJ, pre-UFC world. Learning to get up from a ground and pound is a really powerful and encouraging experience. I recommend it. It's new technology. Take advantage.

Back