MMA forgotten stories thread

Wanderlei Silva (Pictures) vs. Keith Jardine (Pictures)
Round 1
Wandelei counters a kick with a right hand that hurts Jardine. Silva pounces and destroys the fallen fighter with right hands. Jardine is knocked stiff, starring into space. He remains motionless as the time of 0:36 is announced. Vintage Silva.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sherdog.com's Brad McCray reports that Jardine sat up four minutes later. He got to a stool at 8:40 local time.

i've commented a few times on the tendency of Pride's matchmakers to put nationally prominent figures into meat grinder situations--taking people who were too old, too injured or simply too unprepared for the reality of combat sports and placing them against competition that would be difficult even for experienced mixed martial artists. Yoshiaki Yatsu's turn in the meat grinder, while brief, is one of the most uncomfortable.

Yatsu started his career as an amateur wrestler for the Japanese Olympic team, taking first place at the '76 Olympic trials only to be knocked out of the tournament by eventual silver medalist Ben Peterson. He never made it to the Olympics again; the 1980 games were out thanks to the mass boycott, and in a small national scandal, the IOC banned him from future competition purportedly for winning prize money at other wrestling events, but in reality because he had begun taking part in professional wrestling in Japan and they didn't want the Olympics associated with it. The controversy helped make Yatsu a prominent name, leading eventually to his forming the tag team of The Olympians with Jumbo Tsuruta (himself a one-time Olympic wrestler), winning a number of championships, and wrestling Hulk Hogan for the WWF championship at a 1991 cross-promotion, because professional wrestling is weird. Yatsu had been quietly retired for more than half a decade when Pride came knocking on his door, and thus at Pride 11 he made his MMA debut, at the age of 44, with no training in striking, against Gary Goodridge, an MMA champion who had put people in the hospital with his bare hands.

Yeah.

It's deeply uncomfortable to watch. Yatsu barely attacks, primarily taking double-leg shots that have no chance of landing, and spends the fight with one arm extended in front of him trying to hold Goodridge at bay--because every time Goodridge closes in he cracks Yatsu on the chin, over and over, with big, booming punches that Yatsu is too damned tough to go down from, ultimately forcing the referee to call a standing TKO. Even more inexplicably, Pride booked a rematch the next year that was somehow worse, culminating in Yatsu's corner throwing in the towel to stop him from getting choked out. Yatsu also made an appearance at that year's ADCC, but couldn't get past Ricco Rodriguez. He'd never show up in combat sports again.

Some matchmaking is inexplicable. Other matchmaking is inexcusable.

chael sonnen owned a pizza restaurant and he did a special jon jones pizza

So, there’s a pretty well known narrative around here that Iaquinta cursed out the fans at UFC Fairfax when he got the decision against Masvidal and the crowd boo’d in disapproval.

I was there...

There were two guys, about ten rows up that when Al was on the mic, were standing up (amidst mostly seated people) and making obscene gestures while saying “fu**you” and other things of that sort... He was looking exactly in their direction and even gestured towards them with his hand when Al replied with “fu**you!” I sincerely believe that was aimed at just those two individuals and not the entire arena, as legend would have you believe.

Raging Al is indeed raging, just not how most of you might think!

btw I also thought Masvidal should have gotten the nod.
I believe that was one of moments where I really did a 180 on Raging Al, he won me over. I honestly didn’t like the guy on TUF. Around the Damm fight I started to like him more, and then when he trashed the hotel and that Masvidal fight(I too believe Jorge won)
But yeah anyway WAR Ragin Al. He’s a real dude and I appreciate that.

some guy goes to shake michael bispings hand at start of prehistoric mma bout, bisping just kicks his teeth in

Picture%205_0.png

"After the fight, I don’t remember anything. I remember being in the showers and I didn’t have a clue what was going on,"I was saying to my manager at the time, ‘I can’t be knocked out cause I’m not fighting for another two months, what the hell are you talking about?’ and then these people come and go ‘Michael we need to take you to the hospital’. I’m like I’m not going to the hospital and then I’d say again, ‘what’s going on’, I’d just keep repeating myself.
"In my mind I thought I had somehow been convinced, I thought I was there to corner somebody, and I had been convinced to step in on short notice to fight," Bisping said. "That’s what was going on in my head. I was like ‘why have I fought tonight? I’m not supposed to fight for another two months!’.

"Eventually they coerced me into the ambulance and we’re rolling to the hospital and after a while it kind of dawned on me."

That was shitty and beautiful at the same <28>
Classic count :) love it.

me and my buddy were freaking out at this. see, i always thought the way bisping acts was just some lame persona. but here we can see clear as day that hes actually just a complete cunt, which is fucking amazing. this is the guy that said about andersons cheap knee, "well done, god bless him". he completely means that, hes a total arsehole himself. epic

joining you for a cold one here buddeh

<28>

Jose Pele Landy beat Anderson Silva in a Muay Thai bout.

Japan has always had weird stuff going on outside the ring. Case in point- they had Fedor arm wrestle Bob Sapp.

Also this fight!!!!!!!!!!!

Branko was paid $300k for this lol

edit: Thom Harinck told the story that Yakuza sent few men to ask for some money back because he was DQ`d. (Branko was paid in advance).
He charged at the group in the hotel lobby shouting "Who wants my money?"
Next day they left Japan with full 300k

Last edited:
Don Frye got head kicked knocked out cold by Gary goodridge and did commentary later that night on the same card,clearly slurring speech

View attachment 489325
Jarrod Wyatt was an MMA fighter from northern California and it was unlikely he was ever going to become a success but he will forever be remembered for the gruesome murder of his sparring partner.

Wyatt was on hallucinogenic drugs with sparring partner Taylor Powell, when they thought they were in a fight between good and evil. According to court documents, Wyatt removed Powell's heart, tongue and the skin of his face while he was still alive.

“Police officers discovered Wyatt naked and covered in blood head-to-toe when they arrived at a house in Requa, Calif., in March 2010.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnew...-artist-ripped-heart-friend/story?id=17194715

<{JustBleed}>

Back