MMA fighter won't compete in Bellator 195 due to his horrible $250 pay/$250 win fight contract.

In case anyone was wondering - the guy is a 4-1 ammy with 3 first round stoppages.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/118640-marcus-sims

250/250 is low pay at any rate but for a guy who seems to know what he's doing it's ridiculous. Then again, many ppl have mentioned that he agreed to draft the contract so he knew the offer. It's Bellator exposure, take it or leave it.

Tito Ortiz fought for free in his first UFC bout.

Good luck fighting anywhere with that attitude.

Lmao my mates I'm shit aussie cards were making $500 to win $500 to show.

How the Fuck is this possible for Bellator

Bellator can pay 250 bucks because Athletic commision wouldn't reveal the pay scale except for CSAC.

back in 2012 i got a call wanting me to fight a guy at 205 when ima 170 co mainevent they wanted to pay me 2k to show 2 k to win i said fuck that lol 5 days notice askren left due to money

Tito Ortiz fought for free in his first UFC bout.

Good luck fighting anywhere with that attitude.
easy for you to say you have no future career in this the smallest pay vi ever even seen is 300 to fight 300 to win most guys today pay 500 to fight 500 to win even for debut guys on small shows lol i fought for 600 my first pro fight to help out a friend i could have gotten more if i pushed it thats robbery from bellator

easy for you to say you have no future career in this the smallest pay vi ever even seen is 300 to fight 300 to win most guys today pay 500 to fight 500 to win even for debut guys on small shows lol i fought for 600 my first pro fight to help out a friend i could have gotten more if i pushed it thats robbery from bellator

I can say the same for you.

Nobody is paying to watch that guy fight. It's not a charity.

If organizations like Bellator want to grow and compete with the UFC, I believe they would be well advised to increase their pay scale. I would bet that there have been multiple potential stars who have said, "Fuck that!" and found a different way to make a living. If they start guys off at 5k/5k, sure it would cost them more, but how much of their total overhead would that actually be? I would love to see data on how much of Bellator's (and the UFC's, for that matter) revenue goes to the promotion, and how much to the fighters.

I can say the same for you.

Nobody is paying to watch that guy fight. It's not a charity.
but they are paying him to help fill out a card. Nobody is paying to watch the cameraman fight, either, or the ring girl. It takes fighters to put on a fight promotion.

There is no defending $250 to fight in a high end promotion.

but they are paying him to help fill out a card. Nobody is paying to watch the cameraman fight, either, or the ring girl. It takes fighters to put on a fight promotion.

There is no defending $250 to fight in a high end promotion.

And there are costs to putting on a show too.

If he's local, which I imagine is why Bellator is contracting him for a fight, how many tickets does he sell? Bellator must figure not very much otherwise they'd offer him more. Nobody is buying a ticket to see that prelim guy. If he doesn't like it, they'll find someone else. He's replaceable. Entry level guys are like that in any industry.

This was an opportunity for an unknown to pay his dues and get his foot in the door for eventual bigger paydays down the road based on his performance and if he can develop a following. Maybe there are bonuses we're not aware of, maybe there aren't.

If he signed some sort of confidentiality agreement, he is an even bigger dummy by posting that online. He may end up costing himself money rather than potentially making some, as small as it is.

Yeah that sucks, but in MMA you get paid what you're worth and this guy isn't worth anything. No pro fights and 1-1 as an amateur lol... should be happy he even has this opportunity.

And there are costs to putting on a show too.

If he's local, which I imagine is why Bellator is contracting him for a fight, how many tickets does he sell? Bellator must figure not very much otherwise they'd offer him more. Nobody is buying a ticket to see that prelim guy. If he doesn't like it, they'll find someone else. He's replaceable. Entry level guys are like that in any industry.

This was an opportunity for an unknown to pay his dues and get his foot in the door for eventual bigger paydays down the road based on his performance and if he can develop a following. Maybe there are bonuses we're not aware of, maybe there aren't.

If he signed some sort of confidentiality agreement, he is an even bigger dummy by posting that online. He may end up costing himself money rather than potentially making some, as small as it is.

My understanding is most of the prelim guys are required to sell "X" amount of tickets on top of it. Now I don't know if they get maybe a $10 a ticket cut or something above there contract money for each ticket sold or its just required. But I'm almost a 100% sure they are required to sell tickets.

We all know nobody caress to see these guys outside of family/friends but at the same time it makes the org as a whole look bad when you see $250.

Personally, junk the prelims or only have a one or two fights and get on with the real card. At least then you could pay them maybe 1K and look a little more respectable.

My understanding is most of the prelim guys are required to sell "X" amount of tickets on top of it. Now I don't know if they get maybe a $10 a ticket cut or something above there contract money for each ticket sold or its just required. But I'm almost a 100% sure they are required to sell tickets.

We all know nobody caress to see these guys outside of family/friends but at the same time it makes the org as a whole look bad when you see $250.

Personally, junk the prelims or only have a one or two fights and get on with the real card. At least then you could pay them maybe 1K and look a little more respectable.

Yes, I was going to mention that in my previous post. Thanks for mentioning it.

There is hustling involved to help make the event a success. Whether it's selling tickets or coordinating schedules to make fighters accessible for interviews, everyone has a role to play.

I don't know how many or what their cut is for the tickets if there is one. It could be your figure or maybe a percentage of the ticket value (which would be better). Selling 300 dollar tickets instead of nose-bleeds and getting say a 10 -15 % cut is better than a flat rate of 10 bucks. Maybe they are given a mix of tickets of various prices to sell. I do not know.

Wow, the first fight I got paid for was $500 win or lose and that was in the late 90's. That's fucking pathetic!

Hilarious that some people in here are actually trying to justify that pay rate. Had it been the UFC people would be calling for Dana's head.

I train with local pro and ammy fighters, who are all at the beginners end of the regional circuit (the most fights one guy has is 6)...... and all got paid more than that for their last fights.

Hilarious that some people in here are actually trying to justify that pay rate. Had it been the UFC people would be calling for Dana's head.

exactly!
While I DO think that this is really shit money for a Bellator card, I do also try and remember that what the UFC are doing with prelims, fox and fight pass exclusive cards, and what Bellator are doing with these super pre-prelim fights, is simply be the same as regional shows.

I train with local pro and ammy fighters, who are all at the beginners end of the regional circuit (the most fights one guy has is 6)...... and all got paid more than that for their last fights.

Which companies did they fight for? How long have they been in business? The reason I ask is just because they were paid more doesn't mean that whoever is writing the checks/cheques is smarter than Bellator by paying more. It may seem like peanuts but those amateur/regional outfits could be out of business just as fast by overpaying.

Back